Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bikes with automatics?

Bikes with automatics?

Eric - Have you had a chance to ride the Honda DN-01 or the Aprilia Mana 850?

I know they're not for experienced riders, but what do you think of them as a commuter bike that doesn't have the stigma of being a scooter?

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post

I know they're not for experienced riders, but what do you think of them as a commuter bike that doesn't have the stigma of being a scooter?

Chip H.
    At a Marshall Honda sponsored test ride day a couple of our (highly experienced) club members tried out the DN-01. One came back full of praise, saying what a hoot and great commuter bike it was, after a 25 mile test run. The other turned round after 200 yds and came back saying it was the worst piece of c**p he'd ever ridden. My guess is the only way to find out is to actually take one for a test ride and form your own opinion. Me? I didn't like the look of it and didn't test ride it at all.

Chacun à son goût, as they say .

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Chip H.
    Perhaps a test ride on a Burgman 650 (in total darkness where no one can see you) would change your mine about the "Scooter stigma"--- It has a computer controlled automatic tranny that is selectable as a 6 speed manual shift (paddle shifter). Has lots of underseat storage and will run the hiway at any legal speed there is.
    It also sits more comfortable than any MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose View Post
    Perhaps a test ride on a Burgman 650 (in total darkness where no one can see you) would change your mine about the "Scooter stigma"--- It has a computer controlled automatic tranny that is selectable as a 6 speed manual shift (paddle shifter). Has lots of underseat storage and will run the hiway at any legal speed there is.
    It also sits more comfortable than any MC.

Yep Jim, I agree. With a max cruise of around 105mph, comfort, storage space and semi-auto box, a good few older bikers are turning to the Bergman and enjoying a few more years of biking happiness. I would consider it myself without hesitation.

Ken.

Suzuki Burgman 650 Pictures & Specs

Suzuki Burgman 650 Scooter
    MSRP: $7,699
    Engine: 638cc, four-stroke, liquid cooled, twin cylinder, DOHC, 8-valve
    Bore & Stroke: 75.5 x 71.3mm
    Compression Ratio: 11.2:1
    Carburetor: Fuel Injection
    Lubrication: Wet Sump
    Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
    Gas Scooter Starter: Electric
    Burgman 650 Transmission: Electronically-controlled, CVT - automatic
    Burgman 650 Final Drive: Gear drive

Dimensions:
    Overall Length: 2260mm (89.0 in.)
    Overall Width: 810mm (31.9 in.)
    Overall Height: 1430mm (56.3 in.)
    Seat Height: 750mm (29.5 in.)
    Ground Clearance: 125mm (4.9 in.)
    Burgman 650 Wheelbase: 1595mm (62.8 in.)
    Burgman 650 Dry Weight: 238kg (524 lbs.)

Suspension:
    Front: Telescopic, oil damped
    Rear: Swingarm, twin shock, adjustable preload

Brakes:
    Front: Dual hydraulic disc
    Rear: Single hydraulic disc

Tires:
    Front: 120/70-R15
    Rear: 160/60-R14
    (Warning: Do NOT fit car tyres to this machine.)

Fuel capacity:
    Burgman 650 Fuel Tank Capacity: 15 liter (4.0 gal.)

Color options:
    Burgman 650 Colors: Silver, Blue
    Last edited by Ken; 07-15-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Typo.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yep Jim, I agree. With a max cruise of around 105mph, comfort, storage space and semi-auto box, a good few older bikers are turning to the Bergman and enjoying a few more years of biking happiness. I would consider it myself without hesitation.

Ken.

Suzuki Burgman 650 Pictures & Specs

Suzuki Burgman 650 Scooter
    MSRP: $7,699
    Engine: 638cc, four-stroke, liquid cooled, twin cylinder, DOHC, 8-valve
    Bore & Stroke: 75.5 x 71.3mm
    Compression Ratio: 11.2:1
    Carburetor: Fuel Injection
    Lubrication: Wet Sump
    Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
    Gas Scooter Starter: Electric
    Burgman 650 Transmission: Electronically-controlled, CVT - automatic
    Burgman 650 Final Drive: Gear drive

Dimensions:
    Overall Length: 2260mm (89.0 in.)
    Overall Width: 810mm (31.9 in.)
    Overall Height: 1430mm (56.3 in.)
    Seat Height: 750mm (29.5 in.)
    Ground Clearance: 125mm (4.9 in.)
    Burgman 650 Wheelbase: 1595mm (62.8 in.)
    Burgman 650 Dry Weight: 238kg (524 lbs.)

Suspension:
    Front: Telescopic, oil damped
    Rear: Swingarm, twin shock, adjustable preload

Brakes:
    Front: Dual hydraulic disc
    Rear: Single hydraulic disc

Tires:
    Front: 120/70-R15
    Rear: 160/60-R14
    (Warning: Do NOT fit car tyres to this machine.)

Fuel capacity:
    Burgman 650 Fuel Tank Capacity: 15 liter (4.0 gal.)

Color options:
    Burgman 650 Colors: Silver, Blue
    Car tires work just fine on this machine--- 13,500 miles on mine and have been on every type of surface (except snow & Ice)--- The insurance company has OK'd them--- You thought I'd miss that, didn't you?

Car tires work just fine on this machine--- 13,500 miles on mine and have been on every type of surface (except snow & Ice)--- The insurance company has OK'd them--- You thought I'd miss that, didn't you?
    LOL. Jes' joshin'.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

I met a guy the other day that had the 400cc version. The way he was talking, I wondered why you would need the 660cc model?

Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    I met a guy the other day that had the 400cc version. The way he was talking, I wondered why you would need the 660cc model?
    Round the town both are more than adequate. For longer inter city distances the bigger engine gives more acceleration, more relaxed riding and better overtaking potential.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Chip H.
    Not yet.

I understand scooters - as they used to be. A cheap, easy to ride alternative to a car. Perfect for knocking around city streets, etc. I get that.

But these new full-size/expensive as (and almost as powerful as) a standard bike scooters? These I don't get.

I would bet that 99 out of a 100 real motorcyclists would never even consider or want such a machine. After all, a major part of the attraction of being a motorcyclist is mastering the controls - which requires more skill than cagers, who are looked down on by most bikers for that very reason.

And those who would want such a machine - i.e., less experienced riders who aren't so good with a clutch, multi-tasking controls, etc. - do we want to have such people riding around on the highway and at speeds well beyond the capacity of the old school/traditional scooter? Seems like a bad idea to me. And not just because I am concerned about the well-being of the scooter riders. I am not. I am concerned about my insurance premiums - which may increase as the number of "motorcycle" accidents goes up because of more scooters (and inexperienced/marginal riders) on the road. Also, I am concerned about further dumbing-down of laws applied to bikes generally. Add more inexperienced/marginal "riders" to the pool and you provide the basis for some "safety" agitator or politician to demand new rules and laws, to "protect" us all.

Bottom line: The bike companies want more riders and building such machines encourages more people to ride (and buy) which increases the profits for the bike companies. But I don't see it as a good thing to open wide our exclusive little club to people who may barely be able to maintain their balance and find dealing with a clutch/throttle at the same time a bit too much.
    Last edited by Eric; 07-17-2009 at 08:45 AM.

I understand scooters - as they used to be. A cheap, easy to ride alternative to a car. Perfect for knocking around city streets, etc. I get that.

But these new full-size/expensive as (and almost as powerful as) a standard bike scooters? These I don't get.

Good points Eric, but as an insurance agent in Daytona Beach, I can't tell you how many claims I've paid on new bikes as they leave the dealership. If you look at these re-entry bikers (i had a bike 30 years ago and I can ride)a 650cc bike was a big bike back in the day, and most have owned automatic transmission cars for those 30 years too. I can certainly see the attraction. Here in Florida, the MSF course is mandatory for licensing and I think a 650cc scooter would be great compared with the $20,000 Road King these idiots think they need, which they wind up selling next year with only 500 miles on it. Here we actually have scooter gangs that ride to breakfast during the week. 20 to 30 scooters clogging up the road while we're trying to get to work... it's frightning!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post

Good points Eric, but as an insurance agent in Daytona Beach, I can't tell you how many claims I've paid on new bikes as they leave the dealership. If you look at these re-entry bikers (i had a bike 30 years ago and I can ride)a 650cc bike was a big bike back in the day, and most have owned automatic transmission cars for those 30 years too. I can certainly see the attraction. Here in Florida, the MSF course is mandatory for licensing and I think a 650cc scooter would be great compared with the $20,000 Road King these idiots think they need, which they wind up selling next year with only 500 miles on it. Here we actually have scooter gangs that ride to breakfast during the week. 20 to 30 scooters clogging up the road while we're trying to get to work... it's frightning!
    Yes, indeed!

If you've been out of circulation/away from bikes since the '70s or '80s (and even the '90s) the forward evolution of modern bikes can be startling (and a source of real trouble).

Example: In the '70s, a top of the line/high-performance bike (Kaw Z1, Honda CB750, CBX, etc.) had less than 100 hp and weighed 500 pounds. These were (at their best) 12 second bikes.

Today, a basic bike like the Nighthawk 750 or SV650 or equivalent matches or beats that performance. Get on a modern 1,000 cc sport bike with 140-160 hp (and which weighs 400 pounds) and which has basically a full-race suspension (some are very touchy) and you have a handful on your hands.

The evolution in design/technology that bikes have undergone in just the past 20 years is like compressing everything that has happened to cars since 1890 to the present day.

It's cool - but it's something that also needs to be taken seriously!

Eric;
    You have missed the whole point of having a large scooter---It comes with all the capabilities(other than crazy top speed) of a MC that size with a bunch of + features.
    You can carry cargo in a secure storage place under the seat.
    It sits a helluva lot more comfortably than ANY 2 wheeler.
    It gives you protection from the elements.
    It is easy to get on & off which makes it great for us who are not as flexible as we used to be.(someday you'll find out about that)
    It's QUIET
    It rides smoother than a Gold Wing
    It weighs in at 650 pounds and is easy to move around compared to a Harley or Wing or any full size bike.
    and, best of all, it's all automatic so the driver can concentrate on driving rather than screwing around with making sure it's in the right gear.
    Perhaps you should try one and look at the benefits for folks other than your self.
    At my age, what you drive is extremely uncomfortable for me. That hunched up riding position sucks! Getting soaked in a rain shower also sucks--- As long as I am moving on the scooter, I stay reasonably dry. My cargo stays dry and out of sight. I don't need a back pack. I have 3 glove compartments--- plenty of lockable storage on the dash for my GPS, Gun, and whatever else I need.
    I am not racing or looking to do a cage exibition--- I just want a ride that is comfortable.
    Do you understand that?

Eric;
    You have missed the whole point of having a large scooter---It comes with all the capabilities(other than crazy top speed) of a MC that size with a bunch of + features.
    You can carry cargo in a secure storage place under the seat.
    It sits a helluva lot more comfortably than ANY 2 wheeler.
    It gives you protection from the elements.
    It is easy to get on & off which makes it great for us who are not as flexible as we used to be.(someday you'll find out about that)
    It's QUIET
    It rides smoother than a Gold Wing
    It weighs in at 650 pounds and is easy to move around compared to a Harley or Wing or any full size bike.
    and, best of all, it's all automatic so the driver can concentrate on driving rather than screwing around with making sure it's in the right gear.
    Perhaps you should try one and look at the benefits for folks other than your self.
    At my age, what you drive is extremely uncomfortable for me. That hunched up riding position sucks! Getting soaked in a rain shower also sucks--- As long as I am moving on the scooter, I stay reasonably dry. My cargo stays dry and out of sight. I don't need a back pack. I have 3 glove compartments--- plenty of lockable storage on the dash for my GPS, Gun, and whatever else I need.
    I am not racing or looking to do a cage exibition--- I just want a ride that is comfortable.
    Do you understand that?
    I hear you ... not saying I like 'em or support 'em... but I hear you!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I hear you ... not saying I like 'em or support 'em... but I hear you!
    Someday, you'll support them, too! You won't be "Eric Almighty" forever!

Someday, you'll support them, too! You won't be "Eric Almighty" forever!
    Hell, I haven't been that for years now!

Hell, I haven't been that for years now!
    Well, Scuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze me--- It's been a while since you've changed from that to "The Decider"

Well, Scuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze me--- It's been a while since you've changed from that to "The Decider"
    I think I'll go back to Condorman: Vulture of the Western World!

I think I'll go back to Condorman: Vulture of the Western World!
    Yeah--- the "decider" is kinda old hat--- he's in Dallas watching Obama on TV everyday--- He's probably sitting there with a grin on his face and thinking how great it is to not have to put up with all that S*^T!

Yeah--- the "decider" is kinda old hat--- he's in Dallas watching Obama on TV everyday--- He's probably sitting there with a grin on his face and thinking how great it is to not have to put up with all that S*^T!
    It is - and as for him, well.... I'm, sure he's just agonizing over the screwjob he did on the country and just mortified by the personal consequences he's had to assume.

The Bushes are a pox on America; worse than the Kennedys. Both, of course, are part of the same vile inbred little group that has systematically destroyed the United States.

It is - and as for him, well.... I'm, sure he's just agonizing over the screwjob he did on the country and just mortified by the personal consequences he's had to assume.

The Bushes are a pox on America; worse than the Kennedys. Both, of course, are part of the same vile inbred little group that has systematically destroyed the United States.
    GW is the only reason we have Obama--- You will pay dearly for his "change". Obama has lied about everything he promised---