Thread: The Penske Plan and Free Trade Part Deux

The Penske Plan and Free Trade Part Deux

The Penske Plan and Free Trade Part Deux

Read the article here:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...8&Itemid=10947

Staff
    I am not a fan of Roger Penske. He is not a friend of the average American. I am not suprised about his hypocritical freeeee trade stances. You might be interested to know that Penske was in favor of the 55 mph limit as a way to save gasoline back in the 1970s through the 80s

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I am not a fan of Roger Penske. He is not a friend of the average American. I am not suprised about his hypocritical freeeee trade stances. You might be interested to know that Penske was in favor of the 55 mph limit as a way to save gasoline back in the 1970s through the 80s
    There are exceptions (Ross Perot comes to mind) but most of the oligarchical class is suffused with freeeeeeee trade advocacy because, well, it benefits them.

What I don't understand and probably never will is the greedhead mentality of guys like Penske, et al. I mean, once you've achieved financial security for yourself and your family and no longer have to work unless you want to work, why not chill out and let others have a piece of the pie - or at least a shot at it?

If I made, say, a half a million dollars off my next book I'd feel no need for another dollar. Why people who earn that much in a month (like Penske) and do so for years still feel the need to earn more is utterly beyond me.

And when they do so by screwing average working people via freeeeee trade, it makes me sick to my stomach....

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    There are exceptions (Ross Perot comes to mind) but most of the oligarchical class is suffused with freeeeeeee trade advocacy because, well, it benefits them.

What I don't understand and probably never will is the greedhead mentality of guys like Penske, et al. I mean, once you've achieved financial security for yourself and your family and no longer have to work unless you want to work, why not chill out and let others have a piece of the pie - or at least a shot at it?

If I made, say, a half a million dollars off my next book I'd feel no need for another dollar. Why people who earn that much in a month (like Penske) and do so for years still feel the need to earn more is utterly beyond me.

And when they do so by screwing average working people via freeeeee trade, it makes me sick to my stomach....
    I know what you mean. If I was able to make a big sum of money, say $3 million, I would be able to live off the interest. That, to me, is success.

Henry Ford, in his day, made a lot of money. We are basically living off his legacy. He was the one who said that factory workers had to afford to buy his product. That became a common thing back in the post WW2 era until about the 1970's when the country's monetary system was on the verge of collapse. Instead of confronting it head on, the coprate vermin decided to trade jobs for extra cash.

Penske is a vile human being with no conscience. In a better society, his type would have been taken care of a long time ago.

I know what you mean. If I was able to make a big sum of money, say $3 million, I would be able to live off the interest. That, to me, is success.

Henry Ford, in his day, made a lot of money. We are basically living off his legacy. He was the one who said that factory workers had to afford to buy his product. That became a common thing back in the post WW2 era until about the 1970's when the country's monetary system was on the verge of collapse. Instead of confronting it head on, the coprate vermin decided to trade jobs for extra cash.

Penske is a vile human being with no conscience. In a better society, his type would have been taken care of a long time ago.
    Yes. In the long run, that's what will happen, I suspect. These greedheads are so pig-blind they don't see it, though.

If you take everything from the people, they no longer have anything to lose - or any reason to be docile. That means the rich, despite their riches, have to live as prisoners, constantly fearing having their throats cut.

It's a sickness.

I will never understand why someone wants to own, say, a 10,000 sq. ft. McMansion.... .

I was reading about one of these Wall Street fraudsters, who spent something like $50,000 on a rug for his office. Can you imagine? What sort of depraved human being does that?

If I were so rich I could consider blowing $50k (or even $10k) on a rug, I could not do so without feeling like a total schmuck. Why not endow a scholarship or donate the money to the local animal shelter and do some good?

I did not realize he supported the 55 mph speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yes. In the long run, that's what will happen, I suspect. These greedheads are so pig-blind they don't see it, though.

If you take everything from the people, they no longer have anything to lose - or any reason to be docile. That means the rich, despite their riches, have to live as prisoners, constantly fearing having their throats cut.

It's a sickness.

I will never understand why someone wants to own, say, a 10,000 sq. ft. McMansion.... .

I was reading about one of these Wall Street fraudsters, who spent something like $50,000 on a rug for his office. Can you imagine? What sort of depraved human being does that?

If I were so rich I could consider blowing $50k (or even $10k) on a rug, I could not do so without feeling like a total schmuck. Why not endow a scholarship or donate the money to the local animal shelter and do some good?
    Very good point, I agree with you 100%. It reminds me of the scene in the movie Wall Street where Bud Fox converses with Gordon Gekko:

"So tell me, Gordon--when does it all end, huh? How many yachts can you water-ski behind? How much is enough?"

It's pure greed, with some people enough is never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man View Post
    Very good point, I agree with you 100%. It reminds me of the scene in the movie Wall Street where Bud Fox converses with Gordon Gekko:

"So tell me, Gordon--when does it all end, huh? How many yachts can you water-ski behind? How much is enough?"

It's pure greed, with some people enough is never enough.
    I'd say it's a form of power lust/urge to dominate. After one has achieved financial security (you own a nice home, you have enough to support yourself and your family comfortably for the rest of your life even if you never worked another day for pay again; you have money to indulge a few hobbies, etc.) what other reason can there be for the desire to obtain vastly more wealth on top of that? The only answer I can come up with is that gives some people a rush because they can become, in effect, Lords of the Earth - dominating everything (and everyone) around them. For such people, there is no such thing as "enough." Gecko was an example of this and his "type" is very real, unfortunately.

I don't know what the answer is. But I do know (or, I believe) that vast accumulation of wealth for its own sake is not healthy, either for the individual or the state/country. And, the emphasis on "commerce uber alles" - that the primary purpose of life is the acquisition of material things and the status associated with material things - is a derangement of humanity that may ultimately destroy it.

Penske _used_to_own all of Detroit Diesel. He may maintain some minority interest, but he sold it to MTU a couple of years ago.