Thread: 2010 Prius

2010 Prius

A friend just bought one and we rode around the Fort Mill / Rock Hill area this afternoon in it.

Not the most amazing handling, but for what it is, it's an excellent vehicle. 45 mpg with four adults in the car (with a couple of full-throttle accelerations). Comfortable, quiet, a little different. On their recent trip up north, they averaged 52 mpg. The SMART car doesn't even come close to that.

The CVT means the engine does the usual thing - run the RPMs up to the top of the power curve and stay there. You get used to it after a while.

The engine start is seamless - if you move off slowly enough from a start, you can stay on electric motor only for quite a while. No judder or hesitation when it does start.

His didn't come with the near-mandatory "Obama" sticker -- he's looking for something suitable, like the classic "from my cold dead hands" slogan (which would make his Prius fairly easy to identify!)

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    A friend just bought one and we rode around the Fort Mill / Rock Hill area this afternoon in it.

Not the most amazing handling, but for what it is, it's an excellent vehicle. 45 mpg with four adults in the car (with a couple of full-throttle accelerations). Comfortable, quiet, a little different. On their recent trip up north, they averaged 52 mpg. The SMART car doesn't even come close to that.

The CVT means the engine does the usual thing - run the RPMs up to the top of the power curve and stay there. You get used to it after a while.

The engine start is seamless - if you move off slowly enough from a start, you can stay on electric motor only for quite a while. No judder or hesitation when it does start.

His didn't come with the near-mandatory "Obama" sticker -- he's looking for something suitable, like the classic "from my cold dead hands" slogan (which would make his Prius fairly easy to identify!)

Chip H.
    I agree the technology is very impressive - but I question the value side of the equation. By which I mean, for example, one could spend half as much on a new Nissan Versa 1.6 (about $10k with AC) and get close to the real-world average mpg and have about $12k left in your pocket to burn through before the Prius begins to have any advantage in terms of saving you money. Assuming you spend $3k per year on gas, that's four years' worth of "free" fuel... .

Buy a slightly used Versa (or Corolla or equivalent, etc. ) for $7k or so and the gap widens that much more. And no elaborate technology to worry about/degrade/have to pay to repair.

Which is more likely to go 150,000 with minimal repair costs? Something like a new Versa or a hybrid?

This doesn't even get into the "elsewhere emissions" angle...