Thread: Email to head of Patrol Division

Email to head of Patrol Division

I sent the following email to the head of the patrol division on Fri after observing some really horrendous driving by one of their officers. Got a reply that he will investigate:

Major Jett,

About 2:50 today (7/3/09) I was driving down Madison Avenue towards Ann St. At one of the side streets, car 3565 pulled out and made a left onto Madison. I was in the inside lane and had to move over to the outside lane as the car pretty much cut me off. At that point, they increased speed to at least 50 mph (I was going between 40-45). The car had no lights and sirens. It stopped at the Mt Meigs light and then when it turned green, got into the outside turn lane to turn onto Federal Dr.
    When the light turned green, the patrol car then speeded up and went around the first car waiting to go down Atlanta Highway and continued down Atlanta Hwy. It continued to travel at a rate of speed above the speed limit, but still stopping at the light. I lost sight of it when I turned onto Wares Ferry. However, when I got to Hillside, a patrol car was just turning right onto Wares Ferry. I was unable to get close enough to get the car number, but given the timing and behavior of the driver, I suspect it was still car 3565. This car then proceeded to tailgate the car in front of it. I lost it again when I turned into my driveway at the corner of Wares Ferry and Bowling Green.

I realize that our officers are busy and I know that there are situations where they need to respond to a call without lights and sirens. This did not appear to be one of those situations. I am the instructor for the Defensive Driving class at my company. How can I stress to them to follow the laws and not drive erratically if our own police force is not doing so?

I appreciate you taking time to read my message and I do appreciate the work our patrol division does. Thank you!
    I'm going quackers!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I sent the following email to the head of the patrol division on Fri after observing some really horrendous driving by one of their officers. Got a reply that he will investigate:

Major Jett,

About 2:50 today (7/3/09) I was driving down Madison Avenue towards Ann St. At one of the side streets, car 3565 pulled out and made a left onto Madison. I was in the inside lane and had to move over to the outside lane as the car pretty much cut me off. At that point, they increased speed to at least 50 mph (I was going between 40-45). The car had no lights and sirens. It stopped at the Mt Meigs light and then when it turned green, got into the outside turn lane to turn onto Federal Dr.
    When the light turned green, the patrol car then speeded up and went around the first car waiting to go down Atlanta Highway and continued down Atlanta Hwy. It continued to travel at a rate of speed above the speed limit, but still stopping at the light. I lost sight of it when I turned onto Wares Ferry. However, when I got to Hillside, a patrol car was just turning right onto Wares Ferry. I was unable to get close enough to get the car number, but given the timing and behavior of the driver, I suspect it was still car 3565. This car then proceeded to tailgate the car in front of it. I lost it again when I turned into my driveway at the corner of Wares Ferry and Bowling Green.

I realize that our officers are busy and I know that there are situations where they need to respond to a call without lights and sirens. This did not appear to be one of those situations. I am the instructor for the Defensive Driving class at my company. How can I stress to them to follow the laws and not drive erratically if our own police force is not doing so?

I appreciate you taking time to read my message and I do appreciate the work our patrol division does. Thank you!
    I would wager most of us have seen something similar. Cops routinely drive faster than the posted limit because like us, they know the posted limit is ridiculous but unlike us, they can ignore it with impunity. The whole system is a greasy, shady con.

I see this shet all the freaking time. Also, the only time I see a cop behind me is when they are tailgating the crap out of me. Sometimes I wish I had my camera with me to film these people in action.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I see this shet all the freaking time. Also, the only time I see a cop behind me is when they are tailgating the crap out of me. Sometimes I wish I had my camera with me to film these people in action.
    It's an example (there are many) of the hypocrisy and corruption that causes even people who would normally be sympathetic toward and supportive of law enforcement to loathe and despise police.

Now, granted, the traffic cop doesn't write the laws - he just enforces them. But this "defense" didn't hold water at Nuremburg and it doesn't hold water with me, either. My opinion: A decent person would have real trouble being a traffic cop today; hell - a cop, period. What sort of human being wants to spend his days harassing people who he knows have done nothing deserving of punishment (such as "speeding")? Worse, putting people in jail, confiscating their property, etc. merely because they have been found in possession of drugs the government doesn't like (such as pot) vs. those that it thinks are ok (such as booze)?

Not me... .

Yeah, not me either. I would not mind being a detective though!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

We had our health and safety week back in the middle of june. We always do a seat belt check as part of this. This year, we added a stop sign check because we've been having problems with folks california stopping through it and we have a lot of 18 wheelers coming in delivering stuff. We also have a police substation in the city bus station that's on one corner of the area (the 4-way stop has 3 of them on our property). We watched the cops come in and do a california stop, no seat belt, etc. One of our safety committee members actually went over and politely asked one of the officers what gives. The officer explained that if they wore a seat belt, it would get caught up in all of their gear. Then she said she'd talk to her corporal about remind them about the stop sign. We're going to be checking periodically (and for the folks on their cell phones) so it will be interesting how this pans out.
    I'm going quackers!

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    We had our health and safety week back in the middle of june. We always do a seat belt check as part of this. This year, we added a stop sign check because we've been having problems with folks california stopping through it and we have a lot of 18 wheelers coming in delivering stuff. We also have a police substation in the city bus station that's on one corner of the area (the 4-way stop has 3 of them on our property). We watched the cops come in and do a california stop, no seat belt, etc. One of our safety committee members actually went over and politely asked one of the officers what gives. The officer explained that if they wore a seat belt, it would get caught up in all of their gear. Then she said she'd talk to her corporal about remind them about the stop sign. We're going to be checking periodically (and for the folks on their cell phones) so it will be interesting how this pans out.
    Well, of course.

No seat belt for them.

Another example of the arrogance, the almost unbelievable effrontery, of those who rule over us.