Thread: 16.7K mile update

16.7K mile update

In 27 months and 16,700 miles of ownership, I still haven't had any problems with my 2007 VW GTI.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    In 27 months and 16,700 miles of ownership, I still haven't had any problems with my 2007 VW GTI.
    Good to hear!

Five years out with my Nissan Frontier (the "old" one) same thing. Not a single problem. Just routine maintenance and gas....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Good to hear!

Five years out with my Nissan Frontier (the "old" one) same thing. Not a single problem. Just routine maintenance and gas....
    There you go 'thinkin' again. You are a problem person, you might even have a 'bad attitude'.

Wouldn't you really have a car that has ad's about baseball?

Several years ago, I bought a van for my wife's window covering company. The Chevy dealer demanded that we attend an 'owner's seminar', which was at 7:00 pm.

At 55 yrs old we were the youngest people there. What we were told was a total brain wash. Basically, one should change all the fulids in the vehicle at least once a year. Being an owner of Volvos, and BMW's this was nothing more than a lie.

Every year: Brake fluid, ATF, differential, wipers, etc. It was a complete crock! No wonder.... they deserve to go out of business. If the cars really need this routine maintenace, then there is something wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    There you go 'thinkin' again. You are a problem person, you might even have a 'bad attitude'.

Wouldn't you really have a car that has ad's about baseball?

Several years ago, I bought a van for my wife's window covering company. The Chevy dealer demanded that we attend an 'owner's seminar', which was at 7:00 pm.

At 55 yrs old we were the youngest people there. What we were told was a total brain wash. Basically, one should change all the fulids in the vehicle at least once a year. Being an owner of Volvos, and BMW's this was nothing more than a lie.

Every year: Brake fluid, ATF, differential, wipers, etc. It was a complete crock! No wonder.... they deserve to go out of business. If the cars really need this routine maintenace, then there is something wrong with them.
    It pains me, in a way - but my experience with imports vs. domestics has made me a firm and loyal customer of the imports. My family, too. For the same reasons you just laid out.

Just one example:

My mom used to buy nothing but American - and high-end American - cars. Her last one was an '89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. A great looking car that performed very well - but which was also trouble-prone (repeated failure of the hugely expensive air suspension; failed transmission before 70,000 miles, etc.). Equally inexcusable was the atrocious (indifferent/arrogant/incompetent) dealer service experience. So, she bought her first Lexus back in 1999. The vehicle has given her few problems and when it does, the dealer is incredibly accommodating. If it has to stay overnight, she gets a free loaner. Her car is always returned washed and gassed (no greasy handprints on the door pulls or oil stains on the carpet, as happened at the Lincoln store). Etc. Etc. Etc.

At 17,125 miles I had my first "problem". Check Engine light came on and stayed on. So I took it to the dealer. They said there was a recall to re-flash the CPU firmware. When they returned the car they said before they cleared the codes that I'd had a few "Misfire at start up" codes, but I never got a warning light for that.

Anyway, when I read the receipt, it said that my firmware had already been at the current revision level, and that they replaced the "Intake Manifold Runner Sensor", whatever that is, also covered by the recall.

Anyway I wasn't charged any money, I was in and out fairly quickly, and I think the car is running a little better now.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    At 17,125 miles I had my first "problem". Check Engine light came on and stayed on. So I took it to the dealer. They said there was a recall to re-flash the CPU firmware. When they returned the car they said before they cleared the codes that I'd had a few "Misfire at start up" codes, but I never got a warning light for that.

Anyway, when I read the receipt, it said that my firmware had already been at the current revision level, and that they replaced the "Intake Manifold Runner Sensor", whatever that is, also covered by the recall.

Anyway I wasn't charged any money, I was in and out fairly quickly, and I think the car is running a little better now.

Glad it was handled expeditiously!

The only thing that really eats it about new cars is that once they're out of warranty, when the various multiplexed/elaborate/Apollo Moon Shoot electronics begin to get buggy, you are on your own - and largely helpless!