Thread: An insurance PR hack speaks about reform:

An insurance PR hack speaks about reform:

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post

The single most effective "reform" would be to cut off subsidized health care for illegal aliens and welfare cretins who shit out kids they can't afford to care for. We should also impose severe financial consequences upon deliberately self-destructive people who, through their choices impose massive costs on the system and the rest of us who try to be responsible.

Mandatory sterilization (vasectomy for males; tube tying or pills for females) after the first child on the dole.

Zero, zip, nada "free" health care for illegal aliens. It's an outrage that American citizens are made to pay, via higher insurance costs, etc. for the care given away, gratis, to people who have no right to be here in the first place. They certainly have no right to compel Americans (via the force of the state and the transfer payment regime of the insurance industry) to provide them with medicine, facilities and treatment.

Make the grossly obese, smokers, drunks, etc., who choose to destroy their health pay through the nose for their coverage/care. (Just as repeated DWI offenders get to pay exorbitant car insurance premiums.) If they have no money? Make them work it off via public service.

These steps alone would save billions annually.

Then, reform health insurance by making it just that - insurance against unexpected/high-cost problems (such as cancer or a heart attack) instead of a way to pay for every single nickel and dime routine check-up and doctor visit. The latter should be on a fee-for-service basis and paid for out of pocket.

We don't use car insurance to pay for oil changes - and the same principle applies here.

Free for service for routine stuff would end the over-use of doctors and medicine that is common today, put pressure on people to behave sensibly (since they would be paying for most of the "small things" directly out of pocket as opposed to "let the insurance pay") and also drive down costs by getting rid of all the BS insurance paperwork that we're currently drowning under.

See? I really should be anointed The Decider!
    Last edited by Eric; 07-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Then, reform health insurance by making it just that - insurance against unexpected/high-cost problems (such as cancer or a heart attack) instead of a way to pay for every single nickel and dime routine check-up and doctor visit. The latter should be on a fee-for-service basis and paid for out of pocket.

We don't use car insurance to pay for oil changes - and the same principle applies here.
    This service is available now, as "high-deductable" coverage. It's discussed in the interview. In general it has proven to work poorly.

This service is available now, as "high-deductable" coverage. It's discussed in the interview. In general it has proven to work poorly.
    In the context of the current system, sure.

We (responsible/productive people) are currently compelled, either directly or indirectly, to subsidize the care given free or at much reduced cost to illegals, scumbag criminals, pathologically irresponsible people (welfare cretins who keep on shitting out kids; people who deliberately abuse their health, etc.)

That needs to end - but won't. Instead, the useless eaters will increase their claims on the getting-smaller cohort of responsible/productive people.

The country is doomed.

Also, let's not forget freeeeeeeeee trade - which has destroyed the economic security of millions of hard-working Americans, reduced to prenury or (at best) wage slavery, so that mega corporations can rake in another billion (or ten) on top of the billions they would already have taken in had they not downsized ad outsourced all those American jobs to China, Mexico and India.

I have a high deductible policy coupled with a health savings account. It's worked pretty well for me so far -- I got my vision checked the other day and told the office manager that because of my HSA, I'm essentially paying cash. She gave me a 40% discount. It pays to ask.

The HSA/HDP combo only works for you if you're otherwise healthy. If you have an ongoing condition (diabetes, for example) it's not a good option for you because chances are you won't ever hit your yearly deductible.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    I have a high deductible policy coupled with a health savings account. It's worked pretty well for me so far -- I got my vision checked the other day and told the office manager that because of my HSA, I'm essentially paying cash. She gave me a 40% discount. It pays to ask.

The HSA/HDP combo only works for you if you're otherwise healthy. If you have an ongoing condition (diabetes, for example) it's not a good option for you because chances are you won't ever hit your yearly deductible.

Chip H.
    To a great extent, people into trouble with healthcare because they've lived beyond their means in other respects. For example, they buy a new $30,000 vehicle (or a home that takes 50-70 percent of their monthly pay just for the mortgage), save nothing - and then when they get sick, they are in a bind.

It's a cliche, but that doesn't make it less true - or less wise: We (most of us, anyhow) can't have it all. We have to make choices and apportion our means to the necessities of life, with ample cushion built in if you are smart - and only then spend on superfluous things that may be nice but which are a lot easier to do without than medicine or the hospital when you need 'em. Never buy anything you don't absolutely need on credit. Ever. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it.

Unfortunately, we (many of us) have an entitlement mindset and feel aggrieved when we find that health care cost costs "x" but we only have "y" in the bank - notwithstanding the McMansion, the family of kids, the multiple SUVs, the Xboxes and iPhones, etc. etc.