Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sometimes left-lane drivers just need

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Sometimes left-lane drivers just need

    a little reminder:

    http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/

    Chip H.

  2. #2
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    a little reminder:

    http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/

    Chip H.
    Good idea but how long before some genius makes a small fortune selling a pop-up or sticker, for the rear window, in the image of an extended middle finger?

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    a little reminder:

    http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/

    Chip H.
    Here in Minnesota, they are famous for left lane driving - at or below the speed limit. As far as I can tell the reason is that it is 'easier' to drive in the left lane (no merging cars). Many of them proudly proclaim: "I'm driving the speed limit, and I have the right to drive in the left lane." The state has been reluctant to install signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" - even though it is the law. They have told us that it might induce road rage.

    But then again we are the state that elected Jessie Ventura as gov, and Al Franken as senator, and Mark Dayton as senator (maybe Paul Wellstone was taking revenge from the grave!).

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    a little reminder:

    http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/

    Chip H.
    Cute, but it won't do anything, I suspect, to change the behavior of left lane hogs. They feel entitled to squat in the left lane, because "they're doing the speeeeeeed limit," and you (the driver seeking to get by) are "speeeeeeeeeding." Left lane hogs are not merely bad drivers, they are aggressively bad drivers. They go beyond merely squatting in the left lane; they will deliberately increase their speed just enough to keep other cars from getting past, then slow down again. They seem to enjoy preventing anyone from getting by them.

    The only way things will ever change is if the law is changed to make obstructing the flow of traffic/failure to yield a priority ticketable offense rather than "speeeeeeding." As things are, you are vastly more likely to get a ticket for doing 5-10 mph over a ridiculously under-posted speed limit and threatening the safety of no one by doing so than you are for creating a dangerous rolling roadblock with a dozen cars angrily stacked up behind you.

    And there is no way the law will ever be changed to reflect that. Not in the United States as currently constituted, anyhow. This nation is now dominated by losers, poltroons, and demagogues. It is run by the corrupt and evil and ignorant for the benefit of the least common denominator.

    If you are competent, capable, skillful, expect to be further hassled, impeded, punished and yoked for the benefit and sake of the ever-growing mob of imbeciles out there.

    That's just the way it is.
    Last edited by Eric; 07-17-2009 at 06:31 AM.

  5. #5
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    I would say that about 40-70 percent of left lane drivers are as Eric described. The remainder are not paying attention to what is going on and would move to the right lane given a reminder.

    I had the unfortunate circumstance of traveling with a left lane looney. He felt entitled to cruise the left lane and cursed drivers passing him. He said that he was doing 75 mph in a 70 zone so that was fast enough. I told him that although his speedo said 75 that oftentimes speedos are not the same from car to car and read differently. Different cars can read 5 mph off from one another.

    In general, GM speedometers tend to be the most accurate. European cars are the least accurate with the Japanese somewhere in between. I had a Nissan rental that read 5 mph too fast. It always felt slower than indicated.

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    "I had the unfortunate circumstance of traveling with a left lane looney. He felt entitled to cruise the left lane and cursed drivers passing him. He said that he was doing 75 mph in a 70 zone so that was fast enough. I told him that although his speedo said 75 that oftentimes speedos are not the same from car to car and read differently. Different cars can read 5 mph off from one another. "

    Irrespective of speed, one should always yield to faster-moving traffic. I know you know that! But many of these left lane hogs don't. For them, all that matters is that they are "doing the limit." Our system encourages this inconsiderate, dangerous idiocy. People are also taught that they shouldn't go faster than the posted maximum, even when doing so is absolutely essential to executing a safe passing maneuver. So we now have the common problem of the "cruise control pass" - where the passing car is doing 55 mph to get by a car doing 53 mph.

    The whole thing's exasperating.

    I find myself ignoring the stupid double yellow (unbroken for miles, even when you have clear line of sight, because of the cruise control pass/general idiocy mentioned above) and passing by several cars almost every day these days. Many will blow their horns at me, even though all I did was quickly execute a passing maneuver. I never tailgate and I do not cut anyone off. I simply punch it, get by the dawdler, and ease back into the right land and continue on at a reasonable speed (10-15 mph over the posted limit, typically - thanks to my V1!). But this just infuriates the drivers I passed, who were often doing 42-48 in a 55... and seem to feel I should just be content to follow their dumbed-down example for the next 20 miles.

    Not me!

  7. #7
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    "I had the unfortunate circumstance of traveling with a left lane looney. He felt entitled to cruise the left lane and cursed drivers passing him. He said that he was doing 75 mph in a 70 zone so that was fast enough. I told him that although his speedo said 75 that oftentimes speedos are not the same from car to car and read differently. Different cars can read 5 mph off from one another. "

    Irrespective of speed, one should always yield to faster-moving traffic. I know you know that! But many of these left lane hogs don't. For them, all that matters is that they are "doing the limit." Our system encourages this inconsiderate, dangerous idiocy. People are also taught that they shouldn't go faster than the posted maximum, even when doing so is absolutely essential to executing a safe passing maneuver. So we now have the common problem of the "cruise control pass" - where the passing car is doing 55 mph to get by a car doing 53 mph.

    The whole thing's exasperating.

    I find myself ignoring the stupid double yellow (unbroken for miles, even when you have clear line of sight, because of the cruise control pass/general idiocy mentioned above) and passing by several cars almost every day these days. Many will blow their horns at me, even though all I did was quickly execute a passing maneuver. I never tailgate and I do not cut anyone off. I simply punch it, get by the dawdler, and ease back into the right land and continue on at a reasonable speed (10-15 mph over the posted limit, typically - thanks to my V1!). But this just infuriates the drivers I passed, who were often doing 42-48 in a 55... and seem to feel I should just be content to follow their dumbed-down example for the next 20 miles.

    Not me!
    I know what you mean about the dumbed down idiots traveling on two lanes. It's unbelievable.

    I recently had the FDOT do a speed survey on SR44. The results were interesting.

    The average speed was somewhere around 53-54 mph. The 85th percentile was around 60. The speed limit should have been posted at 60, but they decided against it doing it. The numbers clustered in the 47-57 mph region. I thnk that the numbers would have been much higher if the traffic was truly free flowing.

    That road has ample passing zones, but I believe that it could have a lot more.

    I can't stand driving 2 lane roads here in FL since county cops have full radar armaments and love to hand out tickets for driving reasonable speeds on these underposted roads.

    If you ever travel in FL, avoid SR 44 and US 301. They are some of the most heavily patrolled routes in the state.

  8. #8
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Putting one of those on your car would be a great way to make yourself look like a douchebag.

  9. #9
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Putting one of those on your car would be a great way to make yourself look like a douchebag.
    I agree. Also, on a purely practical level, it gives the real douchebags (left lane hogs) a heads-up as to your intentions. Then they have the drop on you, not the other way around.

    When I roll up on a left lane hog, I do not barrel down at top speed and then hang inches off his bumper. All that does is egg the douchebag on - and it's dangerous and rude, besides. Instead, I maintain a good three car lengths distance between the left lane hog and wait for my window - an open stretch sufficient to allow a safe pass ("legal" or not; all that concerns me is whether it's safe). Then, when the moment comes, I hammer it - none of this leisurely cruise control passing stuff. I overtake and pass - ideally, before the schmuck has any time to notice I am overtaking (and by then, it's too late for him to do anything about it). I then signal and merge back into line.

    Hasta la vista, baby!

  10. #10
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I agree. Also, on a purely practical level, it gives the real douchebags (left lane hogs) a heads-up as to your intentions. Then they have the drop on you, not the other way around.

    When I roll up on a left lane hog, I do not barrel down at top speed and then hang inches off his bumper. All that does is egg the douchebag on - and it's dangerous and rude, besides. Instead, I maintain a good three car lengths distance between the left lane hog and wait for my window - an open stretch sufficient to allow a safe pass ("legal" or not; all that concerns me is whether it's safe). Then, when the moment comes, I hammer it - none of this leisurely cruise control passing stuff. I overtake and pass - ideally, before the schmuck has any time to notice I am overtaking (and by then, it's too late for him to do anything about it). I then signal and merge back into line.

    Hasta la vista, baby!
    Another trick when you are on a interstate you run up on a left lane douchebag. You then pull right and then try and pass the left lane hog, gently speeding up. The left lane idiot will usually try and speed up when he sees you to his right. He will then unwittingly pass the slower car in front of you in the right lane. That's your in. You pull left then jam on the gas, pull right and hopefully pass him and then hit left and pass the next right lane car.

    It's called threading the needle.
    Last edited by swamprat; 07-18-2009 at 05:50 PM.

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Another trick when you are on a interstate you run up on a left lane douchebag. You then pull right and then try and pass the left lane hog, gently speeding up. The left lane idiot will usually try and speed up when he sees you to his right. He will then unwittingly pass the slower car in front of you in the right lane. That's your in. You pull left then jam on the gas, pull right and hopefully pass him and then hit left and pass the next right lane car.

    It's called threading the needle.
    A good one!

    The bad part is we're considered "reckless" for doing these necessary (and, if properly executed) skillful and perfectly safe maneuvers.... if a cop happened to be somewhere behind you and witnessed the whole thing, bet your insurance premium he'd go after you and give you the ticket - not the schmuck who was obstructing traffic/failing to yield.

    I have never seen a cop actually pull over a driver for that.

    In fact, I was once lectured (along with the "class") at one of those idiotic Driver Improvement Schools the DMV hosts (you waste a day and pay the bastards $75 to be spoon fed and pretend to believe eight hours' worth of tripe in return for a ticket going away, etc.) that when you come up on, say, an old lady creeping along at 35 on a two-lane road posted 55 with no legal passing zones, you should just relax and get there when you get there... because "we have to share the road" and "one day you'll be old," etc. No kidding.

    I wanted to scream but I kept quiet. Objecting would be like openly calling the cop who gave you the ticket that put you in the class in the first place a low IQ inbred little thug. Might make you feel good but will only make your problems worse....
    Last edited by Eric; 07-19-2009 at 06:05 AM.

  12. #12
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    A good one!

    The bad part is we're considered "reckless" for doing these necessary (and, if properly executed) skillful and perfectly safe maneuvers.... if a cop happened to be somewhere behind you and witnessed the whole thing, bet your insurance premium he'd go after you and give you the ticket - not the schmuck who was obstructing traffic/failing to yield.

    I have never seen a cop actually pull over a driver for that.

    In fact, I was once lectured (along with the "class") at one of those idiotic Driver Improvement Schools the DMV hosts (you waste a day and pay the bastards $75 to be spoon fed and pretend to believe eight hours' worth of tripe in return for a ticket going away, etc.) that when you come up on, say, an old lady creeping along at 35 on a two-lane road posted 55 with no legal passing zones, you should just relax and get there when you get there... because "we have to share the road" and "one day you'll be old," etc. No kidding.

    I wanted to scream but I kept quiet. Objecting would be like openly calling the cop who gave you the ticket that put you in the class in the first place a low IQ inbred little thug. Might make you feel good but will only make your problems worse....
    We are lucky to live in the age of the Internet. You can take the classes online instead of listening to some obese schmuck who could barely fit into a car talk to you about how to drive.

    I had that situation almost 20 years ago when I took a class to get my insurance rates reduced. The insturctor was about 800 lbs and was expressing his disdain for speeeeeeeders. What irked me about it was he was talking about driving in the left lane and him pulling to the right. After pulled right, he says, the typical speeder would then give him a friendly wave and drive on. He was objecting to an act of courtesy! I had never heard something like that in my life.

    After he pulled that stunt, I began to discuss that the driver may have been in a hurry or was expressing gratitude for the act that he had done. I asked him what was wrong with that. He said he was breaking the laaaaaaw. I told him that the law is subject to change and that speed limits were underposted. I started to explain the 85th percentile and was cut off about 3/4 of the way.

    This fat slob was one of the worst classes I had to sit through. I would have rather sat through the prior old lady who simply stated that speed kills and moved on from there. It would have been easier to take.

    In Texas, most drivers ed classes were conducted by private citizens, usually teachers trying to make extra money.

Similar Threads

  1. Left Lane Hugger
    By dBrong in forum The Daily Clover
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM
  2. Somebody left the A/C on all night
    By CharlieCLU in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
  3. Lane Courtesy
    By swamprat in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
  4. Bikers and auto drivers split on lane sharing
    By gail in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 02:18 PM
  5. Memory Lane for Rob?
    By Kwozzie1 in forum Classic Car Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 12:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •