Thread: 58 in a 65 will cost you $80

Thumbs up 58 in a 65 will cost you $80

Now that is what I am talking about!

Give the slow boaters some freaking tickets.

I wish I lived near this place, because I would make a special visit to walk up and shake this cop's hand!

Slow Boater Article

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Now that is what I am talking about!

Give the slow boaters some freaking tickets.

I wish I lived near this place, because I would make a special visit to walk up and shake this cop's hand!

Slow Boater Article

Good for the cop - but I guarantee the ticket will get thrown out. The "safe driver" will find lots of sympathy among the politicians and the courts.

And of course, the "safe driver" is convinced he was being "safe" while all those "speeders" who were "whizzing by" him are the real problem.

The truth is this "safe driver" probably shouldn't be driving at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Good for the cop - but I guarantee the ticket will get thrown out. The "safe driver" will find lots of sympathy among the politicians and the courts.

And of course, the "safe driver" is convinced he was being "safe" while all those "speeders" who were "whizzing by" him are the real problem.

The truth is this "safe driver" probably shouldn't be driving at all.
    Mind you, if the driver is correct about the posted limit on the section of road he was stopped on then he was actually driving over the limit.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Mind you, if the driver is correct about the posted limit on the section of road he was stopped on then he was actually driving over the limit.

Ken.
    Yes - but the whole system is so pretzeled up it's hard to discuss it coherently!

What I mean is, most speed limits in the US are set arbitrarily and bear no objective relationship to reasonable maximums for the road in question. Most people are not only guilty (in a technical/legal sense) of "speeding" nearly every time they get behind the wheel - they have been habituated to think that the speed they should be driving correlates with the posted speed limit. But a speed limit should be just that - the maximum safe rate for a given road. Not the normal flow of traffic.

In a sane world, the speed limit on most American highways would be around 85 mph - or about 10-15 mph faster than the current average speed of most cars.

Tickets would only be issued for exceeding the (reasonable) limit, or driving at a speed significantly slower than the average speed of traffic.

But I expect such reforms to happen only after Elvis makes his comeback or pigs take to the skies....

That is my definition of a speed limit too.

Speed Limit: the maximum safe rate for a given road.

And yes, tickets should be giving to those disrupting the flow.

Why does it seem like everyone agrees with this, but we still deal with and have the shetty speed limit laws in place!?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    What I mean is, most speed limits in the US are set arbitrarily and bear no objective relationship to reasonable maximums for the road in question. Most people are not only guilty (in a technical/legal sense) of "speeding" nearly every time they get behind the wheel - they have been habituated to think that the speed they should be driving correlates with the posted speed limit. But a speed limit should be just that - the maximum safe rate for a given road. Not the normal flow of traffic.

In a sane world, the speed limit on most American highways would be around 85 mph - or about 10-15 mph faster than the current average speed of most cars.
    I agree. It might mean that our Advanced Driving Instructors would need to rethink the current philosophy of always 'making way' up to the posted limits - traffic , weather, etc, permitting. On the other hand, maybe not, as the elite drivers would tend to be that much quicker and smoother anyway. I don't think, however, that we will ever get over any government's predilection to 'dumb down' wherever possible - as my old grandfather used to say 'Governments are like ploughed fields, the clods will always rise to the top'.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    That is my definition of a speed limit too.

Speed Limit: the maximum safe rate for a given road.

And yes, tickets should be giving to those disrupting the flow.

Why does it seem like everyone agrees with this, but we still deal with and have the shetty speed limit laws in place!?
    For one thing, not everybody agrees. I have met a couple of people who liked the 55 MPH NMSL.

But the real reason is, of course, to collect revenue. Having speed limits for both too fast as well as too slow means they can bust almost anybody.

-Don- Reno NV

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    For one thing, not everybody agrees. I have met a couple of people who liked the 55 MPH NMSL.

But the real reason is, of course, to collect revenue. Having speed limits for both too fast as well as too slow means they can bust almost anybody.

-Don- Reno NV

Your cynicism is delicious - but absolutely spot on!