Thread: Motorcycle carriers

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV

Motorcycle carriers

I am taking a RV trip up to Canada in about a month. If possible, I would like to bring my Suzuki DR200SE along.

I do have a an AMD-400 which seems to be the same as an AMC-400 as shown here. I have no idea is there is any difference between them or if it's just a change in the number.

Anyway, my AMC-400 has a carry capacity of 400 lbs, just as the AMC-400. But the max tongue weight of my RV trailer hitch is 350 LBS.

My DR200 SE is 278 lbs "wet").

The AMC-400 weights less than 40 lbs.

So I am under the max permissible RV tongue weight of 350 lbs.

But the problem is that the trailer hitch is way too high. It would be very dangerous to use the ramp to get the DR200SE up that high and back down again.

Would a 10" high-low hitch adapter be safe to use with such an arrangement on such a long trip?

-Don- SF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    I am taking a RV trip up to Canada in about a month. If possible, I would like to bring my Suzuki DR200SE along.

I do have a an AMD-400 which seems to be the same as an AMC-400 as shown here. I have no idea is there is any difference between them or if it's just a change in the number.

Anyway, my AMC-400 has a carry capacity of 400 lbs, just as the AMC-400. But the max tongue weight of my RV trailer hitch is 350 LBS.

My DR200 SE is 278 lbs "wet").

The AMC-400 weights less than 40 lbs.

So I am under the max permissible RV tongue weight of 350 lbs.

But the problem is that the trailer hitch is way too high. It would be very dangerous to use the ramp to get the DR200SE up that high and back down again.

Would a 10" high-low hitch adapter be safe to use with such an arrangement on such a long trip?
    Spec wise you don't have a problem with the carrier, Don. Looking at the hitch adaptor though, it looks as though it would move the carrier mounting point further away from the vehicle. This would put an increased cantilever load on the RV hitch which could exceed the 400lbs limit over bumps. My suggestion, if possible, would be to fit the carrier straight to the RV in the usual way and make up a slope/platform out of flooring grade chipboard that you could walk up when pushing the bike up the ramp. It would probably only need to give about a twelve inch lift and I would think could easily be stored somewhere in/on the average RV.

FWIW.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    My suggestion, if possible, would be to fit the carrier straight to the RV in the usual way and make up a slope/platform out of flooring grade chipboard that you could walk up when pushing the bike up the ramp. It would probably only need to give about a twelve inch lift and I would think could easily be stored somewhere in/on the average RV.
    Thanks for the idea. I will see if I can come up with such a trick.

-Don- SF, CA