Thread: Life after death...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Life after death...

Consciousness pretty clearly appears to be a function of biology. We see because we have eyes; we hear because we have ears; we feel because we have a nervous system - and a physical/biological piece of equipment called a brain that receives and interprets sensory input via our organs of sensory input (eyes, ears, etc.). Take away the sensory organs and we can no longer sense; take away the brain and we can no longer even recall that which we sensed in the past; indeed, take away the brain and we can sense/apprehend nothing at all.

So how, then, can "life" (that is, awareness/consciousness) continue after the physical death of the body and its organs of sensation/perception and memory?

It seems to me, based on all we know (vs. what we wish and "believe") that it cannot - and does not. Life would appear to be a momentary flash of light in between two endless epochs of darkness... .

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Eric; 07-27-2009 at 08:46 AM.

"Darkness" implies sensation.

I agree that consciousness is the result of organic brain function. In my view the only thing that happens after death is rot.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    "Darkness" implies sensation.

I agree that consciousness is the result of organic brain function. In my view the only thing that happens after death is rot.
    Yep- and it's good to know we won't be around to experience it, eh?

Eric:

Consciousness pretty clearly appears to be a function of biology. We see because we have eyes; we hear because we have ears; we feel because we have a nervous system - and a physical/biological piece of equipment called a brain that receives and interprets sensory input via our organs of sensory input (eyes, ears, etc.). Take away the sensory organs and we can no longer sense; take away the brain and we can no longer even recall that which we sensed in the past; indeed, take away the brain and we can sense/apprehend nothing at all.

So how, then, can "life" (that is, awareness/consciousness) continue after the physical death of the body and its organs of sensation/perception and memory?

It seems to me, based on all we know (vs. what we wish and "believe") that it cannot - and does not. Life would appear to be a momentary flash of light in between two endless epochs of darkness... .

Thoughts?
    Completely agree with you and misterdecibel. Our consciousness is the product of the physiological function of our brain and body. When we cease to function physiologically our consciousness ceases as well.

My grandfather had a sign in back by the shipping area. It read:

If you don't believe in life after death, just be here at 5:00 O'clock