Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Loathsome DirecTV parasites

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Loathsome DirecTV parasites

    Boy have I got a tale to tell!

    We have had DirecTV for many years, but a few weeks ago, we found that we could get a better deal (more channels for less money) from our local cable/Internet provider if we "bundled" the whole works with them. So, we decided to do that.

    This morning, we called to cancel DirecTV - and the greasy shysters are trying to stick us with a $60 "cancellation fee." Here's the kicker. They claim we "owe" this because of the following:

    About a year ago, one of our two boxes started acting up. Now, I bought both these boxes myself at Circuit City (this is the way DirecTV worked) so I assumed I'd need to buy a new box to replace the one on the fritz. I called the tech support line to ask what to do. He - very nice fellow - said "don't worry; we'll just send you out a new box." For free? Yes, he said - free. Sounded good to me, so I asked no questions.

    Well, it turns out that with the "free" box comes an 18 month commitment, as well as the "cancellation fee" - even though the filthy shysters never said a thing to us about this and we never received anything in the mail, either.

    Fuck that!

    I tried to get them to do the decent thing and waive the cancellation fee; after all, we have been customers for more than 10 years. But, no. The shyster tool on the phone just recited his oily corporate-speak mantra.

    I told him that they will never get the $60. The turtle (that's me) is slow to anger, but when he gets pissed, he gets pissed. No mercy; no surrender. No price too high to inflict revenge or get satisfaction. My teutonic berserker instincts get the best of me sometimes....

    So, I then called my credit card card company to ask them to refuse the $60 charge (we'll happily pay the last month's normal service charge - which we agreed to pay). They - Kroger Master Card - were completely unhelpful. I spoke with one She-boon useless eater, then her Shaniqua supervisor. I told them that, if it came down to it (and it did), I would cancel the card (we have been doing business with them for years) and when the next statement came, we would pay everything except that $60.

    I told them, further, that I could give a FUCK about our credit score (excellent now, but I am willing to flush it down the toilet over this, if need be) which we can do because we own our home outright, have no debt and can easily pay cash for the things we need, if it comes to that.

    So, that part felt good. I just reel at the vile practices of these corporate scumbags - and cackle with glee that I am in a position to tell them all to chew on my balloon knot!
    Last edited by Eric; 08-05-2009 at 01:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Dude, that is the deal now man. Everyone locks onto your credit card! That way they can stick you with very little resistance from the consumer.

    It's called direct pay, direct spend, oh wait.. also direct tv! HA

    Hail, long live the oily corporate-speak mantra.


    We all have to love it, otherwise then why is it here and all over the place?

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Dude, that is the deal now man. Everyone locks onto your credit card! That way they can stick you with very little resistance from the consumer.

    It's called direct pay, direct spend, oh wait.. also direct tv! HA

    Hail, long live the oily corporate-speak mantra.


    We all have to love it, otherwise then why is it here and all over the place?
    Well, I'm not playing that game.

    I can - and will - pay for everything in cash if need be. Besides, I have three or four other credit cards anyhow...

    Corporations are satan's spawn. The root cause of every problem we're facing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Well, it turns out that with the "free" box comes an 18 month commitment, as well as the "cancellation fee" - even though the filthy shysters never said a thing to us about this and we never received anything in the mail, either.
    Sounds illegal to me - you need to sign some sort of document, receive some sort of contract to be bound to thier terms.


    I have DirectTV since 2001. It's mostly 250 channels of nothing. It's disgusting to have to pay $60 month for channels that broadcast jewlery / knives / exercise machines / work at home scams / etc.

    When you get right down it to, it's mostly shit:

    Exceptionally vile is TLC (the learning channel) where they broadcast shows based on bad taste (John & Kate + 8), or freaks (the little people). How about the show 'Mystery Diagnosis' - where they waste an entire 30 minutes reenacting someones strange illness - pointless. I don't really care to see a show about an 800 lb teenager. Or the family in Utah with 17 kids (imagine f*cking you wife's brains out every night - would get old). Then again there's a show about the pricks giving out parking tickets or speeding tickets, or spring break tickets (when the city wants the students money - and invites the behavior), or dumb asses doing face plants. Or the show Cops - that should be renamed: Watch Blacks Get Arrested.

    I didn't have a TV between 1980 and 2001. Sometimes I think I'm gonna go back.
    Last edited by dBrong; 08-05-2009 at 05:41 PM.

  5. #5
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Sounds illegal to me - you need to sign some sort of document, receive some sort of contract to be bound to thier terms.


    I have DirectTV since 2001. It's mostly 250 channels of nothing. It's disgusting to have to pay $60 month for channels that broadcast jewlery / knives / exercise machines / work at home scams / etc.

    When you get right down it to, it's mostly shit:

    Exceptionally vile is TLC (the learning channel) where they broadcast shows based on bad taste (John & Kate + 8), or freaks (the little people). How about the show 'Mystery Diagnosis' - where they waste an entire 30 minutes reenacting someones strange illness - pointless. I don't really care to see a show about an 800 lb teenager. Or the family in Utah with 17 kids (imagine f*cking you wife's brains out every night - would get old). Then again there's a show about the pricks giving out parking tickets or speeding tickets, or spring break tickets (when the city wants the students money - and invites the behavior), or dumb asses doing face plants. Or the show Cops - that should be renamed: Watch Blacks Get Arrested.

    I didn't have a TV between 1980 and 2001. Sometimes I think I'm gonna go back.
    A-men!

    I have pretty much said g'day to TV. We have it mainly for my wife, who enjoys the crime shows. I prefer to read a good book.

    How is it that we - the American people - got gulled into paying $60 per month to watch ads for exercise machines and watch the scheisse you've mentioned?

    At least regular old TV was free.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    At least regular old TV was free. >>

    And it still is, and more channels than ever now thatit is digital

  7. #7
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    At least regular old TV was free. >>

    And it still is, and more channels than ever now thatit is digital
    If you have a digital TV/receiver ( we don't)!

  8. #8
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Screw paying for TV, period! Why pay to watch commercials? I stopped paying for tv over a year ago. Now I just give Netflix some money each month and have the ability to watch a movie, or entire tv series, commercial free anytime I want. I can even stream movies from their site onto my tv.

    I am thinking about cancelling my phone service too and just getting the Majic Jack!

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  9. #9
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Screw paying for TV, period! Why pay to watch commercials? I stopped paying for tv over a year ago. Now I just give Netflix some money each month and have the ability to watch a movie, or entire tv series, commercial free anytime I want. I can even stream movies from their site onto my tv.

    I am thinking about cancelling my phone service too and just getting the Majic Jack!
    Yesssss!

    We still have it (mainly for my wife, who really likes her crime shows) but we pay much less now and use Netflix primarily for the stuff we watch together (otherwise, I prefer to do something else such as read a book - because like you, I resent like hell paying to be force fed shyster commercials; cable/satellite TV should be 100 percent commercial-free).

    Neither of us have a sail fawn, either - which saves us a ton both money-wise and hassle-wise. I hate those SOBs....

  10. #10
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,148
    The merging of small companies into mega-companies means they have to get more and more income from a limited pool. It bit a bunch of companies in the butt when the economy tanked. I recently switched to a bundled setup so I could get away from dial up. They did try to soak me for stuff I didn't want or would ever use. Being a cheap old pharte, I told them I could continue as I have been doing for the last 20 or so years.

    My phone used to run a little over $50 per month and I was paying a bunch for long distance that I never used. (I use my cell phone for long distance and international calling.) My cable used to run a little over $50 a month also. Now, with both bundled and with internet added, I'm paying $102 after fees and taxes. If they try anything funny, I'll just give the OTHER cable company a call and switch then too. The only reason I went with this current company was my old server didn't have some of the few channels I watch.

    Had I not just told them "no" up front, I'd be paying about $30 per month more and I still watch my bill like a hawk. I don't use satellite dishes as the environment around here is such that the signal often fails. We get some monster stroms that flat blank out the signal.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

Similar Threads

  1. Loathsome Ho's on the town
    By Eric in forum The Maggots...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
  2. Latest loathsome Palin
    By Eric in forum Tea Party Talk...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM
  3. 50 most loathsome people in America, 2008 edition:
    By misterdecibel in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
  4. Loathsome vermin barks like a dog at judge
    By Eric in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM
  5. Most Loathsome People of 2006
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •