Thread: The most evil of all forms of taxation?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

The most evil of all forms of taxation?

That would be real estate taxes.

Reason? You never own your home - indeed, you never own anything more substantial than the clothes on you back and what few possession you are able to carry. Only the state owns land - as well as significant property.

We are merely tenants who must pay a lifelong "mortgage" to the state every year. If we do not pay, we will be evicted as surely as if we failed to pay off the bank loan, only the process will be even more brutal and expeditious.

Thus, we are each of us condemned to a lifetime of economic uncertainty - to never being "secure in our persons and effects." Perhaps the most sinister aspect of the whole system is the way it compels us to constantly perform as economic integers - producing wealth so that it can be taken from us and spent by the government. It is no longer possible in these United States to simply "retire to your land" and be left alone, even though you have spent 20 or 30 years working to pay off that land. It literally never ends.

But what of the "necessary revenues" these taxes generate?

Real estate taxes are mainly justified on the basis of providing for public schools. But why should "x" be threatened with the forcible seizure of his land if he fails to cough up funds to help defray the costs of educating the children of "y"? Shouldn't the costs of educating a child be born by its parents? Since there can be no such thing as the right to violate a right, there can be no right to force "x" to finance the "right of the children of "y" to public education.

Taxes on real estate deny even the possibility of independent living and are thus the worst species of tyranny - even more so than the income tax.

An income tax, after all, is not perpetual. It can be opted out of. If you no longer earn an income, you are no longer taxed. In a just world, a man who so wished and who had paid off his home could retire - and be free of any financial obligation to the state. Free to live off his land, in peace and freedom, unmolested by the grasping vultures of government.

Perhaps one day we will come to our senses....
    Last edited by Eric; 08-06-2009 at 07:18 AM.

I mean dude, I know you don't like the guy.. But, I think you might be a Marxist!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I mean dude, I know you don't like the guy.. But, I think you might be a Marxist!
    Which guy?

I was ranting about property taxes; Marx was a strong advocate of them, and also of progressive (and heavy) income taxes.

A Marxist I be not!

I was thinking in terms of capital and labor alienating people from what they are and want to be.

Additionally, as a Marxist you don't need to worry about owning the property! HA

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I was thinking in terms of capital and labor alienating people from what they are and want to be.

Additionally, as a Marxist you don't need to worry about owning the property! HA
    Ah!

Owning property - really being able to own it - is an essential definition of freedom. Since none of us ever get to own anything more substantive than the clothes on our backs and whatever small items we can carry on our persons, etc. we are by definition not free.

Think how obnoxious it is that you will never own your own home. Unless the system changes, you will always owe the government what amount to a lifetime rent or mortgage payment (the real estate tax) which, if you fail to pay, will become the basis for taking "your" property from you and kicking you out, just as if you'd stopped paying your bank.

Only the government truly owns land/property.