Thread: Would you like to be free?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Would you like to be free?

If it were possible, would you like to live in country where there was no tax on income or property, where you were free to pursue your interests and avocation without any interference by the government (provided you are not directly threatening or harming anyone in the process)... if the other side of the equation was no "right" to extract economic benefits of any kind from the political system? No government health care; no government work or contracts (all official duties would be handled by citizen volunteers for short-term contracts to which they would be elevated by the popular vote of their local community, subject to immediate removal at any time for misconduct), no "help" after some misfortune, natural or otherwise; no government old age pensions; no publicly funded education or child care assistance... ?

We'd each be responsible for ourselves and our families - period. Any cooperative efforts between individuals would be strictly voluntary and by mutually agreed consent.

No force could be applied to any man unless he threatened or used force first.

It's a nice fantasy, isn't it?

Staff
    I am not so sure. I like roads. That's about all I need. I am not so sure about how helpful government disaster aid relief is, so I could go a long with getting rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I am not so sure. I like roads. That's about all I need. I am not so sure about how helpful government disaster aid relief is, so I could go a long with getting rid of it.
    I like roads, too. But I value liberty most of all. I'd much prefer a less efficient transportation system in exchange for knowing the government cannot forcible tax me to fund it - or take my property at gunpoint to provide a "right of way."

If you think about it, roads are the same as many other things that have some good aspects to them and which are thus tempting to make an exception for. But once you do, the gates are opened. And things we don't like so much suddenly have a claim on our wallets and lives.

Roads could be funded by voluntary, pay-as-you-go fees, such as tolls. And to build them, landowners could be offered a fair price for their property/right of way, etc.

My bottom line is that once you begin pointing guns at people who are not criminals in order to make them do something they'd rather not or take that which is rightfully theirs - which at bottom is exactly what all government comes down to - you have destroyed any basis for defending human liberty.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I like roads, too. But I value liberty most of all. I'd much prefer a less efficient transportation system in exchange for knowing the government cannot forcible tax me to fund it - or take my property at gunpoint to provide a "right of way."

If you think about it, roads are the same as many other things that have some good aspects to them and which are thus tempting to make an exception for. But once you do, the gates are opened. And things we don't like so much suddenly have a claim on our wallets and lives.

Roads could be funded by voluntary, pay-as-you-go fees, such as tolls. And to build them, landowners could be offered a fair price for their property/right of way, etc.

My bottom line is that once you begin pointing guns at people who are not criminals in order to make them do something they'd rather not or take that which is rightfully theirs - which at bottom is exactly what all government comes down to - you have destroyed any basis for defending human liberty.
    Okay. When you put it that way, I agree with what you are saying. There has got to be a less threatening way to fund road projects and other necessary public works projects.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Okay. When you put it that way, I agree with what you are saying. There has got to be a less threatening way to fund road projects and other necessary public works projects.
    I think it is very important we put it that way - and always remember that government is force. Strip away all the Happy Talk about whatever "public good" is being discussed and you'll come to the bottom line: Government pointing a gun at people and forcing them to do "x" or provide funds for the benefit of "y."

For me, the basic, primal evil is the initiation of force without cause. And the only moral cause for the initiation of the use of force is self-defense.