Thread: How To Properly Dump Your Bike

How To Properly Dump Your Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose View Post
    Hands up to Number 1. On my first long group ride after returning to biking, four of us on an 800 miler. Lead rider stopped, out on the North Yorkshire Moors, to open a cattle gate. Second bike stops, foot down on grass verge, OK. Third bike stops, foot down on grass verge, OK. I stop, foot down on grass verge. Why is the bike slowly toppling to the left and why is my left foot not on solid ground? In the whole stretch where we had stopped there was only one hole and it was a couple of feet long and about ten inches deep. - luckily I managed to control the 'drop' and the only damage was a cracked mirror housing that was quickly secured with duct tape.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Hands up to Number 1. On my first long group ride after returning to biking, four of us on an 800 miler. Lead rider stopped, out on the North Yorkshire Moors, to open a cattle gate. Second bike stops, foot down on grass verge, OK. Third bike stops, foot down on grass verge, OK. I stop, foot down on grass verge. Why is the bike slowly toppling to the left and why is my left foot not on solid ground? In the whole stretch where we had stopped there was only one hole and it was a couple of feet long and about ten inches deep. - luckily I managed to control the 'drop' and the only damage was a cracked mirror housing that was quickly secured with duct tape.

Ken
    ================================================== ====
    87, 90

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose View Post
    I once dropped my dual sport at a light. Did the thing I bet all of us have done at least once. I thought I was in neutral. I wasn't. Let go of the clutch lever... barely caught the thing (long legs are a godsend!)... .

Another time I almost dropped my big Kz at a toll both. Forgot to avoid the oil slick that is almost always on the concrete pad. When I put my boot down, the bike almost went sideways.. but again, my long legs saved my bacon!

Long legs????? What the heck are they? After being told by the Seattle BMW dealer when I complained about seat heights that BMW was not interested in making bikes for "special needs people," they finally lowered the 1200GS. After trying to mount one since 1997, I was finally able to accomplish that and now have one. Thanks BMW for thinking about us "special needs, short legged little guys."

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    Long legs????? What the heck are they? After being told by the Seattle BMW dealer when I complained about seat heights that BMW was not interested in making bikes for "special needs people," they finally lowered the 1200GS. After trying to mount one since 1997, I was finally able to accomplish that and now have one. Thanks BMW for thinking about us "special needs, short legged little guys."
    My friend Mike has the same issue. It's interesting that bikes are so specialized, compared with cars, as far as being able to accommodate riders who don't fit a fairly narrow demographic. For example, I can't ride many sport bikes comfortably/for extended periods because I am 6ft 3 and around 210 pounds. The middleweight bikes, especially, seem designed for guys around 5' 8 and 150 pounds. (Ken and I once were talking about leathers in the same vein. I am big but not fat - 32 waist/weight lifter - so it is damn near impossible to find a suit that fits me top to bottom. The jacket/upper is either way to small - and the leg/pants ridiculously oversized. Or the reverse.)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post

Ken
    ================================================== ====
    87, 90
    At our age, JP, 87 is not only permissable it is virtually mandatory.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.