Thread: 1972 Vagrant....er...Vega

1972 Vagrant....er...Vega

My sister bought one of the very first Vegas to roll off the assembly line. All was well for a couple of weeks. Then things started to fall off. By the time she got rid of the car, it was getting 100 miles to the quart of oil. We were taught to maintain our cars before we ever got our license. The MGB she replaced the Vega with got 7 years out of the original battery in a time when 12 months was the normal life of a battery. So the Vega was taken care of properly. Besides the poorly designed enigne, the body was made of compressed rust.

When I ran a salvage yard, I made a lot of money off those cars. The later ones with the redesigned engine after 1975, were actually pretty good running cars. I ran one in mini stock and took a bunch of extra engines for claim race engines. I made a pot full of monehy off selling them to guys who's engine had been claimed.

As usualy, GM let the problems go until the market disappeared. Just like the Corvair, by the time all the bugs were worked out, nobody wanted to buy them anymore.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    My sister bought one of the very first Vegas to roll off the assembly line. All was well for a couple of weeks. Then things started to fall off. By the time she got rid of the car, it was getting 100 miles to the quart of oil. We were taught to maintain our cars before we ever got our license. The MGB she replaced the Vega with got 7 years out of the original battery in a time when 12 months was the normal life of a battery. So the Vega was taken care of properly. Besides the poorly designed enigne, the body was made of compressed rust.

When I ran a salvage yard, I made a lot of money off those cars. The later ones with the redesigned engine after 1975, were actually pretty good running cars. I ran one in mini stock and took a bunch of extra engines for claim race engines. I made a pot full of monehy off selling them to guys who's engine had been claimed.

As usualy, GM let the problems go until the market disappeared. Just like the Corvair, by the time all the bugs were worked out, nobody wanted to buy them anymore.
    There is a story that one literally fell apart at the GM proving grounds during a test drive...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    There is a story that one literally fell apart at the GM proving grounds during a test drive...

Shortly after she got the car back with new seats (they were easy to steal from the cars.) I shut the door a little too hard and rust flakes fell onto my head through the headliner.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.