Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst cars on the road?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Worst cars on the road?

According to Consumer Reports, if you want to drive something dependable and long-lasting, steer clear of GM vehicles.

With a 22% improvement in sales last month, and despite the six-month, $4.3 billion loss it announced Wednesday, General Motors is likely to have its strongest spring and summer in years. Plus, the automaker had critically acclaimed new products at the recent New York Auto Show and the much-anticipated Chevrolet Volt is due out this fall.

Year-over-year sales of GM's Cadillac division alone are up almost 76%; sales in the Buick, Chevrolet and GMC divisions were each up more than 40% for March. The industry as a whole was up 24.3%.

Unfortunately just because GM's cars are selling well now doesn't mean they're the best bet for durability or value yet. It'll take awhile before GM's new direction shows up in tangible new products at the dealership.

Four of the seven vehicles on our list of the worst-made cars on the road come from GM brands. And all of the cars on the list including Chrysler's Dodge Nitro and Jeep Wrangler are made by Detroit's Big Three. Only one car on the list is made by Ford Motor Co.

Cadillac Escalade

Segment: Luxury SUV
    CR Predicted Reliability Score: Fair
    CR Value Score: Rated among the worst in value
    CR Safety Score: Rated among the worst in safety.
    CR Overall Score: 61 out of 100
    J.D. Power Dependability Score: 2 out of 5 Power Circles
    MSRP: $62,495

Chevrolet Aveo

Segment: Compact Car
    CR Predicted Reliability Score: Poor
    CR Value Score: Not rated among the worst in overall value
    CR Safety Score: Not rated among the worst in overall safety.
    CR Overall Score: 36 out of 100
    MSRP: $11,965

Chevrolet Colorado

Segment: Pickup Truck
    CR Value Score: Not rated among the worst in value
    CR Safety Score: Rated among the worst in overall safety.
    CR Overall Score: 41 out of 100
    MSRP: $16,985

Dodge Nitro

Segment: SUV
    CR Value Score: Rated among the worst in overall value
    CR Safety Score: Not rated among the worst in safety.
    CR Overall Score: 33 out of 100
    MSRP: $22,335

Ford F-250

Segment: Pickup Truck
    CR Value Score: Rated among the worst in overall value
    CR Safety Score: Rated among the worst in overall safety.
    CR Overall Score: 37 out of 100
    J.D. Power Dependability Score: 3 out of 5 Power Circles
    MSRP: $28,020

All American cars, big surprise. I wonder which engine the F250 has that they rated so poorly?

We have exceptional 80+ year old neighbors (who are independently wealthy).

Last year we took them out for lunch in our Volvo XC-90. The first thing Tom said was "Jesus H Christ, the interior of this car is beautiful!"

They had a fairly new Cadillac SUV.

After lunch, I sat in the Caddy. It was really obvious that it was a Chevy with fake plasticly wood trim.

I don't know how long GM can last - there are only so many 80 yr old people left!

You got that right dBrong ,pruners like there boats. Gomers and Cadillacs go together like karaoke in a country western bar.

I know that GM has been riding the wave for quite some time now. Even when I worked for them. Just like a lot of other products, anyone can build a good reputation, and once that has been established, they can slack off on quality. Chrysler did it a long time ago. They had darn good running gear, but poor craftsmanship on their bodies. Nice designs, that sold well. Same with the others. With all the new technologies that have come about in the last couple of decades, and that seems to be the new selling point. Who cares if the darn thing runs or not. It has this , and it has that, and look what this thing does. If I get lost, I can find my way home with this little gismo. Good luck on that one, if the darn thing won't run. I do not understand why GM can advertise their cars as new when they have been using the same old stuff for years. It didn't work then, why should it work now? The same for Chrysler.. Their basic engines really hasn't changed for the past Fifty Years. But you have to give them credit for trying. You can only put on so much stuff before the old cast iron dinosaur has served its' usefulness. Time for them to go Modualar if they are going to survive, which it may be to late. Ford looks like they are going on their reputation as well if they landed on the ten worst list. Of course, I could have told you that when I bought my 2000 F-150 Lariat. Nice design, but the steering is too slow to get out of trouble. Thanks to the computer controlled Power Steering. Rubber tie rods don't help either. The thing wanders down the road like a drunken Sailor. Other than that, it does OK for a 4x4. If you don't count the transmission had to be rebuild at 30K, the front end at 15K, and at 36K. I have 62K on it now. I just save it for the Winters, and when I need to pull a utility trailer with. The Big Three has shot themselves in the foot, and it looks like Toyota is loading their guns as well. To bad. They all could be great cars, if they would quit selling us bull crap.

People who buy Escalades (and Navigators) and the like are fools.

I'm sorry. It's just the bitter ugly truth.

You buy a Porsche, ok. At least you are not getting a tarted up VW with a 40 percent price premium.

But as pointed out earlier, the $50k Escalade is just a tarted up $25k Chevy Tahoe.

Oh, it has a Cadillac grille!

And leather! And (fake) teakwood trim, too!

Such people earn my contempt. And not just because they're profligate with their money. (Not the spending of it, per se - I have no objection to that. I just curl my lip with disgust at people who buy crap that happens to be expensive crap - an the Escalade is a 4WD McMansion.)

I also think such people are morons because they're typically breeder types who use these 400 hp, 15 mpg hogs to putter from home to the mall to the kiddie's soccer games and back. They need a 400 hp V-8 (and 4WD) as much as Liberace needed a (female) wife.

Is there anything more moronic?

It's like dressing up Dick Cheney in $5,000 custom-fitted motorcycle leathers, so he can "look cool."

Makes me want to hurl.

These people deserve what they get - and what they pay for!

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    All American cars, big surprise. I wonder which engine the F250 has that they rated so poorly?
    I would suspect the V-10. And I haven't seen a V-10 in a Dodge Truck lately, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

You buy a Porsche, ok. At least you are not getting a tarted up VW with a 40 percent price premium.
    Unless you buy a Cayenne...

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Unless you buy a Cayenne...
    Yeah - Porsche gets a lot of flack for that!

But at least the Cayenne has Porsche (not VW) V-8s.

The Escalade has basically the same Chevy V-8 as the Tahoe, just juiced up some.

Ditto the Lincoln Navigator. Same 5.4 V-8 as found in the Expedition and F-150.

I wonder which engine the F250 has that they rated so poorly?

I would suspect the V-10. And I haven't seen a V-10 in a Dodge Truck lately, have you?
    I was a service advisor at a Ford dealership. Based on my experience I would suspect that it's the 6.0 liter diesel. Lots of problems with those and very expensive to fix.

I was also at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge store for a few years. Not only are PT Cruisers garbage--they're nothing more than a dressed up Dodge Neon--the owners tend to be, uh...a little eccentric if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by KentAZ; 06-21-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KentAZ View Post
    I was a service advisor at a Ford dealership. Based on my experience I would suspect that it's the 6.0 liter diesel. Lots of problems with those and very expensive to fix.

I was also at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge store for a few years. Not only are PT Cruisers garbage--they're nothing more than a dressed up Dodge Neon--the owners tend to be, uh...a little eccentric if you know what I mean.
    Dodge Neon. Interesting, in the European market they were marketed as the Chrysler Neon. Probably, I guess, because the Chrysler name is better known over here than the Dodge brand name.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Ken:

Dodge Neon. Interesting, in the European market they were marketed as the Chrysler Neon. Probably, I guess, because the Chrysler name is better known over here than the Dodge brand name.

Ken.
    Yes, I had heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by KentAZ View Post
    Ken:

Yes, I had heard that.
    Notice they're a rare sight today? I see older, 90s-era Corollas every time I go out for a drive. I only see Neons once in a blue moon.

That tells you something!

The 2000 F-150 was pretty bad. The 2009 I drove last year was very nice -- bigger & more expensive than what I wanted, but not a dog.

I think the F-250 is based off the previous model F-150 (or at least it's technology)

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    The 2000 F-150 was pretty bad. The 2009 I drove last year was very nice -- bigger & more expensive than what I wanted, but not a dog.

I think the F-250 is based off the previous model F-150 (or at least it's technology)

Chip H.
    Back in my gliding days my flying club used to use F-100 trucks, modified to run on LPG, to launch our sailplanes. After trial and error the F-100 was chosen for its cost, dependability and reliability. The LPG conversion was done on site by our club vehicle and general airfield maintenance engineer. The flatbed was taken off and replaced by a shallow 'U' shaped sheet of of half inch steel with the tow link and wire cutting safety mechanism welded into it. On a good day, from our 6000ft runway they could give us 2000ft launches.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    They do now sell Dodge cars in the UK. I believe part of the reason they had to use the Chrysler nameplate was that Renault had the rights to the Dodge name, by a convoluted process that went something like this:

Chrysler started building Dodge trucks in the UK pre-WWII. When Chrysler bought Rootes the Dodge name was used on what had formerly been Commer trucks.Shortly after Chrysler sold Rootes to Puegeot they sold Dodge trucks UK to Renault who continued manufacturing Dodge-badged trucks until the late 1980s.

. . . or something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Ken.
    The Neon was sold in the USA as both a Dodge and a Plymouth. But they didn't bother to give the Dodge and Plymouth versions different names, both were called "Neons".

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    The Neon was sold in the USA as both a Dodge and a Plymouth. But they didn't bother to give the Dodge and Plymouth versions different names, both were called "Neons".
    They should have been called radioactive!

The only Neon contemporary that was a bigger POS was the Chevy Cavalier...

Agreed. Had a Neon as a rental one time. Hoooh boy, was it bad!

Chip H.

I think the PT Cruiser was developed as a Plymouth, and then was sold as a Chrysler, in spite of not being a luxury car, just because MOPAR axed the Plymouth brand name just before it came to market.