Thread: Got out of one yesterday...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Got out of one yesterday...

A near-miracle happened yesterday... .

It was a nice day and I needed to pick up something "down the mountain" at the auto parts store - so rather than drive I decided to take my bike. The catch here is I haven't yet built a mount for my V1 radar detector, which I now never drive without. Ever. (Which is why I have not been pinched by a cop in almost two years now.)

So, I went out "blind" ... and sure enough, not five miles away from my house, I'm rounding a curve and heading downhill doing 60-something in a 55 ... and there he is: State cop coming the over way.

Now, my usual instinct is to just take off. I am after all on a 140 hp sport bike - and the cop is driving a Crown Vic.

And he has to stop and turn around before he can come after me.

One downshift, one rotation of my wrist, and he'd likely never even see me again, let alone catch up to me.

But I was not going much faster than the stupid speeeeeeeeeeeed limit and for whatever reason I just decided to play it straight and see what occurred. So I hit the brakes and put on my signal, to let him know I wasn't going to rabbit. I pulled into a side road and waited.

The state cop rolled in behind me; asked for the paperwork - told me he had me at 69 in a 55 (whoop tee do, right?).

I handed him my license and my concealed carry permit. He asked me if I was armed and I told him no but that I thought he might want to know. He thanked me for the gesture and from here on out the interaction was very friendly. I live in a small town, so I actually know most of the cops; a state cop lives down the road from me and we know each other. This guy I did not recognize so I asked if he was new to the county and he said yes. I mentioned the name of my neighbor. We just shot the breeze for a few minutes and he let me go with no ticket at all.

Just "be careful."

I don't know exactly what to attribute this to. I think my concealed carry permit may have helped (he did not even run my license like they usually do). Or maybe that I am a "local." Or maybe because I didn't run and we both knew I could easily have done it and gotten away clean (very rural area; once you're out of visual range, you're home free).

Or maybe he just wasn't a dickhead.

I was prepared for the worst but got a nice surprise for once. This guy was my kind of cop. He had me on a "technical foul" but let me off because he assessed the situation and figured I was ok and didn't deserve it. Unlike the complete asshole who, roughly two years ago, gave me ticket for 62 in a 55.

Anyhow, thought I'd relate the happy news!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    A near-miracle happened yesterday... .

It was a nice day and I needed to pick up something "down the mountain" at the auto parts store - so rather than drive I decided to take my bike. The catch here is I haven't yet built a mount for my V1 radar detector, which I now never drive without. Ever. (Which is why I have not been pinched by a cop in almost two years now.)

So, I went out "blind" ... and sure enough, not five miles away from my house, I'm rounding a curve and heading downhill doing 60-something in a 55 ... and there he is: State cop coming the over way.

Now, my usual instinct is to just take off. I am after all on a 140 hp sport bike - and the cop is driving a Crown Vic.

And he has to stop and turn around before he can come after me.

One downshift, one rotation of my wrist, and he'd likely never even see me again, let alone catch up to me.

But I was not going much faster than the stupid speeeeeeeeeeeed limit and for whatever reason I just decided to play it straight and see what occurred. So I hit the brakes and put on my signal, to let him know I wasn't going to rabbit. I pulled into a side road and waited.

The state cop rolled in behind me; asked for the paperwork - told me he had me at 69 in a 55 (whoop tee do, right?).

I handed him my license and my concealed carry permit. He asked me if I was armed and I told him no but that I thought he might want to know. He thanked me for the gesture and from here on out the interaction was very friendly. I live in a small town, so I actually know most of the cops; a state cop lives down the road from me and we know each other. This guy I did not recognize so I asked if he was new to the county and he said yes. I mentioned the name of my neighbor. We just shot the breeze for a few minutes and he let me go with no ticket at all.

Just "be careful."

I don't know exactly what to attribute this to. I think my concealed carry permit may have helped (he did not even run my license like they usually do). Or maybe that I am a "local." Or maybe because I didn't run and we both knew I could easily have done it and gotten away clean (very rural area; once you're out of visual range, you're home free).

Or maybe he just wasn't a dickhead.

I was prepared for the worst but got a nice surprise for once. This guy was my kind of cop. He had me on a "technical foul" but let me off because he assessed the situation and figured I was ok and didn't deserve it. Unlike the complete asshole who, roughly two years ago, gave me ticket for 62 in a 55.

Anyhow, thought I'd relate the happy news!
    Sounds like you were a lucky guy, Eric. It is good to find that there are still cops who do their job as it used to be done. With skill, understanding and common sense - sadly social/functional precepts that are often sadly lacking in this 'jobsworth' day and age.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Well Eric, we all know you're such an intelligent, debonair, handsome, well read fellow, with a magnetic personality, you impressed the shit out of him, and he let you off

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Well Eric, we all know you're such an intelligent, debonair, handsome, well read fellow, with a magnetic personality, you impressed the shit out of him, and he let you off
    First time in probably eight years I have managed to wriggle out of one!

Every now and again you run into a common-sense gentleman in a uniform. Hope he doesn't lose that after he has a little time on the job and sours on some of the dregs of society.

69 in a 55! You should be committed!

I had a near miss yesterday too. I was pacing though the mountains on the way back up to Northern Virginia on Rt. 29. A brand new Range Rover with huge rims and my family and I in my '02 4Rummer shitting and getting through the mountains averaging 70-75 the whole way in 35-60mph limit areas. Anyhow, on the sketchy sections I cool out to 10-12mph over. The Range Rover dude likes to gun boat in the sections I knew were dangerous.. Sure enough, he held it to the wood in a open area and the man was there to witness! I was sitting at 70, he took the lead and maybe got up to 75.. nabbed! The man started up this unit, switched on the lights as I was rolling by. I got over to the right to let holmes get to the Rover. Red Rover, red rover send the cop right over.. (it was actually silver).

Slice got a ticket for sure and I lost an excellent pace partner for the rest of the trip back home!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    69 in a 55! You should be committed!

I had a near miss yesterday too. I was pacing though the mountains on the way back up to Northern Virginia on Rt. 29. A brand new Range Rover with huge rims and my family and I in my '02 4Rummer shitting and getting through the mountains averaging 70-75 the whole way in 35-60mph limit areas. Anyhow, on the sketchy sections I cool out to 10-12mph over. The Range Rover dude likes to gun boat in the sections I knew were dangerous.. Sure enough, he held it to the wood in a open area and the man was there to witness! I was sitting at 70, he took the lead and maybe got up to 75.. nabbed! The man started up this unit, switched on the lights as I was rolling by. I got over to the right to let holmes get to the Rover. Red Rover, red rover send the cop right over.. (it was actually silver).

Slice got a ticket for sure and I lost an excellent pace partner for the rest of the trip back home!
    A "blocker car" is the next best thing to a V1!

I am going to get started on rigging a mount for my bike, pronto. That 69 in a 55 would have been $150 plus fuck-me insurance hassles for the next three years.

The state cop was ok, though.

I wonder whether my cc permit and general good attitude did the deed?