Thread: Can't fill Taurus gas tank

Can't fill Taurus gas tank

My daughter has a 2005 Taurus. Recently she cannot squeeze more than 7 - 8 gallons in to the tank before the pump shuts off. The pump keeps shuting off - even when you try multiple times.

Do you think this a problem with the evaporative system? I never heard of such a problem.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    My daughter has a 2005 Taurus. Recently she cannot squeeze more than 7 - 8 gallons in to the tank before the pump shuts off. The pump keeps shuting off - even when you try multiple times.

Do you think this a problem with the evaporative system? I never heard of such a problem.
    It's a fairly common problem and it's usually a problem caused by the owner by overfilling. You're making the problem worse by "trying several times".

I've heard that "topping off" after the gas pump shuts off automatically can cause such problems in some vehicles. IIRC, it fills up the charcoal canister with gasoline and that somehow causes problems in many vehicles by filling vent lines with gasoline which should only have air.

Your best bet for now will be to NOT fill the tank the next few times you need gas. Give things time to dry. And after that, never try to add more gas after it shuts off automatically.

I would, for the next several times, add gas at a quarter tank or less and add gas to less than half a tank. If it shuts off, stop right there. I think you will find if you can give time to let things dry out you will be able to add more gas each time before it reaches the automatic shut off point.

IOW, run it with the gas tank less than half full for a while. AFter several hundred miles of that, fill it ONLY until it shuts off automaticlly. It should then accept more than before.

-Don- In Surrey, BC

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post

Modern pumps are more sensitive than they used to be due to emissions issues (spillage, vapor leakage) and also modern cars have filler necks designed to do the same (limit spillage/vapor loss). This can make filling some cars a PITAS.

First thing I'd try is a different station/pump....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Modern pumps are more sensitive than they used to be due to emissions issues (spillage, vapor leakage) and also modern cars have filler necks designed to do the same (limit spillage/vapor loss). This can make filling some cars a PITAS.

First thing I'd try is a different station/pump....
    She tells me it first started happening 3-4 weeks ago. Tried several different stations. All I could think of is that the tank somehow collapsed? Or was air bound (would no vent as gas was pumped in).

I went on google - found a bunch of posts about similiar problems, but no solution.

OK Don, I forwarded your solution.