thought I'd pop in and show you all the wife's new ride

I've got (and love) an Evo X these days, but the wife is now driving this:

2007 Lotus Exige S
    She daily-drives it, but then she always was crazy

Next up for me will be an Aston Martin - either a DB9 or a V8 Vantage
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Nice!

That Lotus may just be the purest pure sports car on the market right now. And it's not ridiculously overpriced, either - which for me adds bunches to its appeal.

My wife prefers a Mini Van,more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    My wife prefers a Mini Van,more practical.
    Damen's either won the lottery, earns serious money - or is in debt up to his eyeballs!

Quote Originally Posted by damen View Post
    I've got (and love) an Evo X these days, but the wife is now driving this:

2007 Lotus Exige S
    She daily-drives it, but then she always was crazy

Next up for me will be an Aston Martin - either a DB9 or a V8 Vantage

Wow nice car! I really like the Exige, however at 6'3" tall I don't fit too well in it. I like the color, it's got a stealth look to it.

Your wife has good taste in automobiles!

dont look at me, she pays for that car herself

as an aside, a used 2007 Lotus Exige S with 8k miles goes for ~47k - much cheaper than you might think

Update, the car has been repainted.

flat black with a glossy pink racing stripe. The valve cover, shift surround, and AC controls have been redone in pink also. Also added a new (louder) exhaust, and an HID conversion so we can actually see at night.

car isnt "done" yet. the door panels arent on, and some other little things need to be done. should be complete on tuesday.

Full gallery:
    http://knightspeed.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=8801

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Damen's either won the lottery, earns serious money - or is in debt up to his eyeballs!
    Possibly, she makes more money than Damen.
    it is becoming increasingly more common that the wife has a higher income than the husband in this economy.
    Trevor

Hmmm.....lat's see. My daily driver is a 12 year old car with 141,000 miles with a 26 year old truck as a back up that has a little over 357,000 on the clock. My toy is 28 years old with 133,000 miles on it and I have a new project that is 39 years old and has 57,000 showing but I don't know if that's the first or second trip around.

On the other hand, they are all paid for and I paid cash for each of them when I bought them.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    Possibly, she makes more money than Damen.
    it is becoming increasingly more common that the wife has a higher income than the husband in this economy.
    They are in their mid-late 20s, I think. All I can say is they're either doing really well or they're otherwise living very modestly (spending most of their money on vehicles). Or they're living on credit and likely massively in debt.

I'm not sure where they live, but if it's a major metro area, even a $100k annual income isn't that much as far as what's left over after taxes and you pay the mortgage, bills, etc. A $50,000 car like the Lotus or the Corvette takes a huge bite out of that. About $600/month if financed. Plus the insurance, which for them (in their 20s) has to be at least $1,000 per year per car and maybe two or three times that.

I love high-perf. and exotic cars but I am scared shitless of debt and so I have always been a real tightwad when it comes to vehicles. I don't finance, I don't buy new and I have never bought a vehicle that cost me more than about $7,500 - paid in cash on the spot.

That allowed me to quickly pay down the mortgage on my first house when I was in my 20s - and to save a good chunk of money besides. By my 30s I had no mortgage and today, given what's happened in the economy, I am constantly patting myself on the back for doing what I needed to do to get off the mortgage treadmill before the scheisse hit the fan.

Poverty sucks. So does being a wage slave to debt, mortgage or otherwise. No car is worth that.

And: I still get to drive cars like Damen's Corvette and his wife's Lotus - I just don't pay to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Hmmm.....lat's see. My daily driver is a 12 year old car with 141,000 miles with a 26 year old truck as a back up that has a little over 357,000 on the clock. My toy is 28 years old with 133,000 miles on it and I have a new project that is 39 years old and has 57,000 showing but I don't know if that's the first or second trip around.

On the other hand, they are all paid for and I paid cash for each of them when I bought them.
    Amen.

Virtually the same here.

Daily driver is a 12 year old truck with about 120k on it.

Back-up is an eight year old truck with 60k on it.

Both completely paid for.

Now, I could go buy a new Corvette or even a 911 tomorrow - er, finance one. But since I like being debt-free much more than I like the idea of owning a Corvette or 911, I stick with my old trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Amen.

Virtually the same here.

Daily driver is a 12 year old truck with about 120k on it.

Back-up is an eight year old truck with 60k on it.

Both completely paid for.

Now, I could go buy a new Corvette or even a 911 tomorrow - er, finance one. But since I like being debt-free much more than I like the idea of owning a Corvette or 911, I stick with my old trucks!

I'm not a big fan of "new". I usually wait for "improved". That jingle jangle jingle when you drive off the new car lot is money falling out the tail pipe. I'm looking at a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 (I'd prefer diesel but this is gasoline powered) with 190K and they are asking $3400 for it. Tilt, cruise, air and 4X4. Anything else is just icing on the cake. Once my Benz is sold, the truck comes home. I hate to sell the Mercedes but I can't get in and out of it very well any more. Plus, with the garage open, I can get a new toy.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.