Thread: Riding season may already be over...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Riding season may already be over...

Here in SW Virginia it is in the high 30s and wet. Too cold, bleak and miserable for other than dirt bike riding. I'm hoping we'll get a few more days of nice weather as I didn't get to ride this past summer very much at all.

How's the weather where you guys are?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Here in SW Virginia it is in the high 30s and wet. Too cold, bleak and miserable for other than dirt bike riding. I'm hoping we'll get a few more days of nice weather as I didn't get to ride this past summer very much at all.

In North East Texas we can pretty well ride year round. Leaving tomorrow for a sidecar rally and the following week I'm riding to Fredericksburg for the Harvest Rally. Mid November I'll ride west to the coast for Thanksgiving. In going west, once I'm out of TX, I'm half way to CA. 800 plus miles of boredom before hitting New Mexico but we do have a large section of 80 mph (128km) roads.

Getting colder here but still a few nice bright days. By the look of things we still have a few weeks of riding time left - so much so that I have a trackday booked on the 21st November! It will either be bright and freezing or dull, wet and miserable - only the day will tell as it has been changing overnight recently.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    In North East Texas we can pretty well ride year round. Leaving tomorrow for a sidecar rally and the following week I'm riding to Fredericksburg for the Harvest Rally. Mid November I'll ride west to the coast for Thanksgiving. In going west, once I'm out of TX, I'm half way to CA. 800 plus miles of boredom before hitting New Mexico but we do have a large section of 80 mph (128km) roads.
    Texas looks better n' better all the time!

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV

Here in South San Francisco, tomorrow will be 72F with a real feel of 74F.
    Overnight cold will drop all they way to a real feel of 60F.

See
    here.

Then look at the weather at our Reno home here.

Then look at the rest of the week at both above locations and tell me how much you love living there in VA.

-Don- SSF, CA

For Biketoberfest here in Daytona it'll be in the 80's. Night's down to 70. Fall is here!!

===============================================
    Here in Denver I've never put my bike up for the winter. While I might not do any mountain riding there are days, even December through
    February that if one minds the shady spots and the sandy corners, a quick ride to the grocery story is not at all uncommon.

We'll be mid-sixties this weekend which could prompt a ride out for lunch

Season?

Y'all,

What is this term "riding season"? Am I supposed to stop riding and wait until spring? Forget that! 45F and wet most of the week. That's why we own rain jackets.

Michael

PS Aren't the trees beautiful this time of year?

Soup and Pie Ride in Western New York State Oct 18

Here in the north, on Sunday, a group of sport bike riders are meeting up at the American Hotel (circa 1800's) in Lima, NY for soup. Following that is a ride, a nice roundabout ride, to Naples, NY for pie at Monica's Pies. Following that is more riding.

Temperatures are expected to be 30's with high for the day of 44.
    No rain/snow

and the location of Monica's Pies at the foot of Canandaigua Lake
    "Paper Butt"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Y'all,

What is this term "riding season"? Am I supposed to stop riding and wait until spring? Forget that! 45F and wet most of the week. That's why we own rain jackets.

Michael

PS Aren't the trees beautiful this time of year?
    You, my friend, are the all-weather equivalent of those Iron Butt guys who ride 1,000 miles at a stretch.

Most of us wimps hang it up when the temperature gets into the 30s or it looks like ice/snow....

Here in Chicago it's cold and gloomy but Tom Skilling weatherman extraordinaire says up coming week will be nice like 60's and maybe even low 70's. Tonight it's suppose to be in the twenties with a twinkling of flurries. We wear masks in these parts.

Great ride! (COLD!)

Y'all,

Wonderful ride today, on the great grey 1981 CBX. Blacksburg north to Newport, up gorgeous SR-42 to New Castle, then over Potts Mountain to Paint Bank. Potts Mountain is an AMAZING stretch of road. One car in front of me prior to Potts; he pulled over to let me pass. One car in front of me on Potts itself; he let me pass, too. Friendly folks here.

Cold. 37-42F. Cloudy. Glorious.

Riding season? What is a riding season?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post
    For Biketoberfest here in Daytona it'll be in the 80's. Night's down to 70. Fall is here!!

Boy did the weatherman blow this one.... Rain Friday Night and cold Sat. got up this morning to 48 degrees, I'm taking a snow day.....It's winter here screw you Al Gore