Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractor for a Harley?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Tractor for a Harley?

Guys -

A weird situation has arisen. I have a small 4WD tractor I don't use much; my neighbor's son has a Harley he can't ride anymore. Son wants to trade his Harley for my tractor, even steven.

I have never owned a Harley. I have nothing against them; I'm just not a cruiser type of rider. This Harley is (I think) a Lowboy custom. Seems like a nice bike.

The question is, should I become a four bike man?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Guys -

A weird situation has arisen. I have a small 4WD tractor I don't use much; my neighbor's son has a Harley he can't ride anymore. Son wants to trade his Harley for my tractor, even steven.

I have never owned a Harley. I have nothing against them; I'm just not a cruiser type of rider. This Harley is (I think) a Lowboy custom. Seems like a nice bike.

You only have three now???? Have they changed the days of the week to three and I didn't know it.

Only three? Isn't that against the rules??

Eric;
    Please you only need one bike. In my opinion you don't need anymore then one bike. I'll get the Harley off your hands.

Guys -

================================================== ==

Can fellow have too many women? Too much good scotch? Too much great cognac? Too many medium rare steaks?

Son, we need to talk!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post
    Guys -

Can fellow have too many women? Too much good scotch? Too much great cognac? Too many medium rare steaks?

JP, just where would these youngsters be without our wise old heads to guide them?

Eric, you don't need a tractor. You know you need a road machine that you won't mind getting dirty now and again - something solid, agricultural even - and here is a guy offering a straight swap, and it is an American bike, a Harley no less, to boot. You have only got three bikes, which is a shame. Heed JP's words of wisdom Grasshopper!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post
    Guys -

================================================== ==

I am going to go take a look at the bike; will take some pics, too and post them here....

Adam, when did you get a tractor??

Guys -

Don't do it Eric. If you do you will be a knuckle dragging poser like me donning shiney new leathers and riding from bar to bar posing next your way too shiney steed and thinking you're all it........

Trading one agricultural device for another?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post
    Don't do it Eric. If you do you will be a knuckle dragging poser like me donning shiney new leathers and riding from bar to bar posing next your way too shiney steed and thinking you're all it........
    Yeah!

Actually, my thought (on the "do it" side) is to have a bike that is (for me) long-haul worthy. None of my current bikes (one sport bike, one restored antique muscle bike, one small cc dual sport) is a bike I'd be into covering serious distance with. For one, I'd get in huge trouble on the sport bike - which just wants to run 90-100 mph, at least. For two, the sport bike is not comfortable for more than about three hours at a time, max. For three, I never ride that bike in any kind of bad weather (which is why it still looks brand-new). Finally, it has no storage and the wife hates it!

This Harley has two large sidebags (hardbags, if I recall) and a big boozy comfortable ass pad for long-distance riding. Harleys are not high-speed bikes, too - and that (for me) is a plus as far as avoiding serious run-ins with The Man on long distance rides. I can see motoring along at a reasonable 70-ish on the highway for hours, taking in the scenery. That is just not doable on a sport bike!

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Trading one agricultural device for another?
    I am not one to knock Harleys, eve though I have never (yet) owned one and have always been a sport bike rider primarily.

Harleys excel at what their owners are looking for: A torquey, manly, long-range cruising/touring bike that sounds great and has charisma and history (two things the otherwise excellent Jap knock-offs don't have).

Comparing a Harley with a Japanese or Italian or German sport-type bike is both unfair and beside the point.

Harleys are sui generis; a unique type of machine that is desirable precisely because it is so old school.

I am not one to knock Harleys, eve though I have never (yet) owned one and have always been a sport bike rider primarily.

Harleys excel at what their owners are looking for: A torquey, manly, long-range cruising/touring bike that sounds great and has charisma and history (two things the otherwise excellent Jap knock-offs don't have).

Comparing a Harley with a Japanese or Italian or German sport-type bike is both unfair and beside the point.

Harleys are sui generis; a unique type of machine that is desirable precisely because it is so old school.
    So, from this and your other posts it looks as though you have convinced yourself already - when are we going to see the piccies of your new bike? - get out there and get it before someone else does! In your shoes I would already be out there, posing, with Mark.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    So, from this and your other posts it looks as though you have convinced yourself already - when are we going to see the piccies of your new bike? - get out there and get it before someone else does! In your shoes I would already be out there, posing, with Mark.

Ken.
    I am definitely going to go look - and will post pics when I do.

I still have to mentally wrestle with myself over the decision, though.

I am giving thought to turning my restored Kz into an object d' art for the house; literally bringing it inside (gas drained, of course) as the centerpiece for the rec room. The truth is I hardly ever ride it these days.
    Keeping it insured/registered may be an expense I can do without...

On the other hand, I do like the little diesel tractor. It helped me deal with the loathsome rap-playing wigger across the road from us!

I am definitely going to go look - and will post pics when I do.

I still have to mentally wrestle with myself over the decision, though.

On the other hand, I do like the little diesel tractor. It helped me deal with the loathsome rap-playing wigger across the road from us!
    But, if the Harley has a nice set of straight slash-cuts wouldn't it be just as effective an anti-wigger device? I've not heard a two stroke diesel tractor, over here, that was as noisy as a Harley on open pipes.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Dude, what kinda Harley we talking about?

What year, etc.?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Ken.

Do you REALLY want to pose next to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post

Do you REALLY want to pose next to this?
    Er, Um, Ah, Er ::::::::::::::Wanders off lost for words:::::::::::::::::

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Harley's are nice ride's, but haven't owned one (that I've actually ridden for pleasure), since 1965/66, as back then, the Sportster wasn't much good for long ride's (400 + miles a day, and I rode one from LA to Wichita, Ks. in 27 hours back then), the glide's were too unwieldy off pavemenmt.

Now I can't ride much, but still take one out occassionally, Yamaha V-max that is, as it's what we mostly deal with now.

I'd look at the Harley as a business suit, to have with your sports attire, the leasure suit, etc.

Rex
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Dude, what kinda Harley we talking about?

What year, etc.?
    Still need to see the thing to know. My neighbor (father of the guy who wants to swap) says his son will bring the bike over at some point in the near future. Son lives about 50 miles away.

I saw it at a distance once, a few years back and f memory serves it was an early '90s model. Had hardbags. That's all I can remember...