Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Which car do you hate the most?

  1. #21
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    "Makes the cut as a car for people who don't care about cars."

    Well, who aren't enthusiasts.

    "Handling is a safety feature, along with good brakes it's the primary recourse for accident-avoidance. Every car should handle "like a sports car". There's no excuse for any mushwagens in this day and age. Adequacy is not a cause celebre."

    Everything's relative. Compared with virtually any car of the '70s, the Sebring handles and brakes like a race car! Just making a point. It handles/stops "safely" by any reasonable standard. It is certainly not a dangerous car.

    "As near as I can tell the absolute only thing the Sebring has going for it is that it's available as a convertible. Otherwise it's not even competitive with a Kia or Hyundai."

    There isn't another legitimate four-seat convertible (with room for four adults) that's in the same (low) price range - and that is Sebring's key selling point.

  2. #22
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

    There isn't another legitimate four-seat convertible (with room for four adults) that's in the same (low) price range - and that is Sebring's key selling point.

    What about the Sebring sedan or coupe, what's the excuse for them?

  3. #23
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    What about the Sebring sedan or coupe, what's the excuse for them?
    Ok, I agree with you there!

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    Here's something that might get a response or two -- how about the 1957 Chevy? Just a warmed-over design from '55/56, with both the Ford and the Plymouth much more attractive in '57. The '57 Chevy has become a tiresome cliche. Ford outsold Chevy that year, not counting the sales of the newly-introduced Ranchero. (Disclaimer - I own a '57 Ranchero.)

  5. #25
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Here's something that might get a response or two -- how about the 1957 Chevy? Just a warmed-over design from '55/56, with both the Ford and the Plymouth much more attractive in '57. The '57 Chevy has become a tiresome cliche. Ford outsold Chevy that year, not counting the sales of the newly-introduced Ranchero. (Disclaimer - I own a '57 Ranchero.)
    Hey Roger,

    I also like the more aggressive look of the '57 Plymouths. I think part of the reason for the ongoing popularity and even iconic status of the '57 Chevy is due as much to its powertrain as its looks. The 283 small block was a great design; lightweight with very high output per cubic inch. Also inexpensive, with lots of aftermarket parts and very reliable and easy to work on, too.

    I have nothing against Chevys, per se and have owned a few. I just prefer "different drummer" stuff - which is why I'm mostly a Pontiac guy!

    PS: Welcome to the site!

  6. #26
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    I also like the more aggressive look of the '57 Plymouths.

    Last edited by Mase; 11-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.

  7. #27
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    [QUOTE=Mase;118508]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hey Roger,

    I also like the more aggressive look of the '57 Plymouths. [/quote

    Something snafu'd!

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the welcome, Eric.

    I have to agree with you on one hybrid in particular, the ubiquitous Prius. However, we recently bought a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid after reading great reviews. It's a much better car all around, and certainly less of a "statement". Part of the purchase was a vote for Ford as the company not bought out by government or union, though the car's assembled in Mexico!

  9. #29
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, Eric.

    I have to agree with you on one hybrid in particular, the ubiquitous Prius. However, we recently bought a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid after reading great reviews. It's a much better car all around, and certainly less of a "statement". Part of the purchase was a vote for Ford as the company not bought out by government or union, though the car's assembled in Mexico!
    You bet!

    On the Prius: It's overpriced and dealers are gouging people mercilessly. I bet you got a much better deal on your Fusion ...

  10. #30
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    I also like the more aggressive look of the '57 Plymouths.

    Fixed that.

  11. #31
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    I also like the more aggressive look of the '57 Plymouths.

    Nothing exceeds like excess.

  12. #32
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    It was a mean-looking thing!

    Perfect choice for "Christine" - remember?

    Body by Plymouth... soul by Satan!

  13. #33
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Nothing exceeds like excess.
    Naw. HEREs the proper level of excess.



  14. #34
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    America used to be a great country...

  15. #35
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Virgin Exner had a unique talent for making truly ugly rolling stock.

    Or bad-ass.

    Depends on what you like...

  16. #36
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,139
    Find a picture of each and then look really quick. Can you tell the '57 Chevy from the '56 Plymouth? I had a '56 Plymouth and everybody always thought it was a '57 Chevy. The fronts didn't look that much like each other but the fins were really close. Chevy was always a year behind Mopar back then on a lot of things but had better marketing. Name the first car for instance that had 1 h.p. per cubic inch as an option. Now, what was the first car to have the 1 per inch as standard?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Find a picture of each and then look really quick. Can you tell the '57 Chevy from the '56 Plymouth? I had a '56 Plymouth and everybody always thought it was a '57 Chevy. The fronts didn't look that much like each other but the fins were really close. Chevy was always a year behind Mopar back then on a lot of things but had better marketing. Name the first car for instance that had 1 h.p. per cubic inch as an option. Now, what was the first car to have the 1 per inch as standard?


  18. #38
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Ford Escort yet. Talk about a POS. What always annoyed me more about that car, though, were the drivers usually piloting them. If there was an a**hole up ahead doing 55 in the fast lane, there was a good chance it was someone driving an Escort.

  19. #39
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMeosh View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Ford Escort yet. Talk about a POS. What always annoyed me more about that car, though, were the drivers usually piloting them. If there was an a**hole up ahead doing 55 in the fast lane, there was a good chance it was someone driving an Escort.
    Yes - the plague of the '80s! I remember those cars like I do the wisdom teeth I had to have pulled. A friend in college actually bought one. Yes, he chose to rive an Escort. It was as embarrassing as Gary Del 'Abate's pitch!

    Good to see you back, by the way -

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

    Good to see you back, by the way -
    Thanks - been busy wrapping up an overseas assignment, which is thankfully done and over with. It's amazing how much extra time you have when you're not working the graveyard shift anymore...

Similar Threads

  1. Want to know why they hate us?
    By Eric in forum The Maggots...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
  2. Here's why they hate us...
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
  3. More car features to hate
    By swamprat in forum Advice/Questions/Tips
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 03:45 AM
  4. Don't you just hate it...
    By mrblanche in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 12:41 AM
  5. I hate my job
    By damen in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 05:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •