Thread: What I don't want to hear about from Palin

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

What I don't want to hear about from Palin

... or any other Republican/conservative:

* About your "values" -

I don't give a damn. What I want to hear about is how you'll work toward restoring limited, constitutional government and protecting every peaceful individual's right to pursue happiness as they see it in this life, with the proviso that their conduct doesn't cause actual harm or clearly threaten actual harm to others. Period. What consenting adults believe or do in private, on their own time, is their business alone - no matter what you or I or anyone else may think about it. The state should have nothing to say about it - and neither should you, if you are running for office.

* About your family -

MYOB and I will do the same. Your family is your business just as my family is mine. I'm not interested in your kids or your method of parenting; I am interested in how you you plan to get the government out of my family's life and the lives of everyone else's family.

* About your religious beliefs -

This is a private matter. None of us "knows" a single blessed thing about God, whether such a being exists, what it wants from us if it does exist and so on. We each have beliefs and opinions on this, but they are properly matters for private reflection and discussion - not public hectoring and preaching.

* About your "patriotism" -

All this rah-rahing, pin wearing and flag humping should appall any conservative who fears and distrusts organized force (the government) and its bully boys (the police and military). Free countries aren't militarized ones; hyper-patriotism boils down to hero-worshipping of the state and its power structure.

I'd like to see a movement to restore constitutional government, which defends the rights of the individual against the state; which supports the rule of law over "fighting evildoers" and which has as its core principle the idea that every man has the right to be left alone, fee to pursue happiness as he sees fit, unmolested by any authority. To keep the product of his labor and not be compelled to provide a portion thereof for the material or other benefit of anyone else through the force of government.

That is the message I am looking for.

How about you?

Staff
    Amen! I could care less about what that woman has to say. Other than Obama and Bush, she is about the most vacuous vessel ever to run for office.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Amen! I could care less about what that woman has to say. Other than Obama and Bush, she is about the most vacuous vessel ever to run for office.
    She is a lot like Bush. Same pathological narcissism, too. Every criticism, no matter how reasonable or legitimate, is a personal assault. She's never in error. It's always the "liberal media" playing gotcha or some such. It's very proto-Stalinist. You're either with her, or implicitly, you're an enemy - maybe even an evildoer.

She trots her family out for the PR value then gets outraged when people talk about her family... it's Katie Couric's "agenda" and not her inability to mention even one book she reads or Supreme Court decision she thinks is important (other than Roe v. Wade)... etc. Just the other day she was apparently mouthing off about something having to do with "In God We Trust" on coinage... which as it turned out was done by Bush.

She's flippant and fact-free and completely unashamed about it. Hell, she is proud of her arrogant ignorance.

Just like Bush.

Her main support base seems to be evangelical/hard-core Christians, who see her as sharing their beliefs. This was also the same as with Bush. It's tragic - because while she may indeed be religious, she is not conservative - not if by conservative you mean someone who is a champion of small government and individual rights.

She is a clearly a corporatist-militarist Republican (just like Bush) with no real respect for the Constitution (which I doubt she has ever read or understands) or the Bill of Rights. Her form of "conservatism" involves worship of getting and status, of consumption and militarism, salted with state-sponsored theocratic Christianity.

No thanks.

If it's her vs. Obama in 2011, I'm outta here...