Thread: GPS unit

GPS unit

Does anyone have a recommendation for a GPS unit?
    Trevor

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    I recommend any Garmin. I purchased to verify speedometer readings in the Jaguar, since I thought they were optimistic. They were. The speedos read 80 but I was only doing 76-77.

The best place to purchase would be craigslist or Tiger Direct (comp usa if your have a store near you.)

I bought a Garmin 260. It is a couple of years old, but who cares?

Garmin has the best trip information display of any of the units. That is more important to me than anything else. I rarely use it to navigate....

I paid 99 bucks for mine.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I bought a Garmin 260. It is a couple of years old, but who cares?
    I also have a Garmin Nuvi 260 (and several others). Have you purchased the latest updates (NT 2010.20) ? Has many new features, such as a currency & unit converter, calculator, world clock and more.

And it works well in Canada too.

But the updates cost about as much as the unit.

-Don- (in snowy Reno, NV)

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    I also have a Garmin Nuvi 260 (and several others). Have you purchased the latest updates (NT 2010.20) ? Has many new features, such as a currency & unit converter, calculator, world clock and more.

And it works well in Canada too.

But the updates cost about as much as the unit.

-Don- (in snowy Reno, NV)
    I haven't purchased the updates. I will have to look at these updates and features.

There are GPS units that offer free updates, but they just don't have the usability and driver's orientation of the Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I haven't purchased the updates. I will have to look at these updates and features.

There are GPS units that offer free updates, but they just don't have the usability and driver's orientation of the Garmin.
    I saw a "lifetime update" card for sale the other day for Garmins that was $119.

Of course, you would have to hold yer nose and enter the <gasp> friendly local WalMart to get it. Or maybe someplace else has the same price.

I bought the Garmin nuvi 265WT for my recent trip and love the heck out of it.
    Last edited by Mase; 11-23-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    Garmin.

Any company that is so much into Aviation hardware can be trusted for quality in an automotive unit, IMO.

I love my new nuvi 265WT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    I saw a "lifetime update" card for sale the other day for Garmins that was $119.

Of course, you would have to hold yer nose and enter the <gasp> friendly local WalMart to get it. Or maybe someplace else has the same price.

I bouth the Garmin nuvi 265WT for my recent trip and love the heck out of it.
    I purchased and downloaded the $119.00 Garmin lifetime update when in a RV Park in Canada. At 0300 hrs on their wireless. It will take some time to download. You will want to do it while you're asleep. It takes hours even with a fairly fast connection. Check the Garmin website.

-Don-

I purchased and downloaded the $119.00 Garmin lifetime update when in a RV Park in Canada. At 0300 hrs on their wireless. It will take some time to download. You will want to do it while you're asleep. It takes hours even with a fairly fast connection. Check the Garmin website.

-Don-
    I bought my nuvi at Costco and it came with one free map update. Did that before my trip from Chicago to L.A. At some point in the process I got a warning that it could take as long as four hours. I thought, uh huh, sure.

SIX hours later I was done.

And that was using high-speed DSL.

I bought my nuvi at Costco and it came with one free map update. Did that before my trip from Chicago to L.A. At some point in the process I got a warning that it could take as long as four hours. I thought, uh huh, sure.

SIX hours later I was done.

And that was using high-speed DSL.
    High speed DSL is an oxymoron. My speed right now is:

3.0 MBPS download (3000 KBPS)
    1.545 MBPS upload. (154.5 KBPS)

But the RV park was not nearly as fast. So I took a nap while downloading.

-Don- SF, CA

High speed DSL is an oxymoron. My speed right now is:

3.0 MBPS download (3000 KBPS)
    1.545 MBPS upload. (154.5 KBPS)

But the RV park was not nearly as fast. So I took a nap while downloading.

-Don- SF, CA
    My AT&T DSL plan offers "up to" 3.0mbps downloads. I routinely get 2.5 - 2.8. Not like cable or FIOS but good enough.

My AT&T DSL plan offers "up to" 3.0mbps downloads. I routinely get 2.5 - 2.8. Not like cable or FIOS but good enough.
    I have cable at both my homes. But there are times when DSL is better. Cable slows down much more as there are more users. DSL doesn't have that problem as much. And DSL has had a lot of recent improvements in speed. Sometimes I get up to 10 MBPS on my cable, but I have also seen it below one MBPS.

But right now, my download speed is 36.1062 MBPS. Ten times yesterday. But I am now at "work" (a true sinecure) using their system.

-Don- SF, CA