Thread: Mouse guns?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Mouse guns?

Any of you have any experience (good or bad) with small caliber "mouse guns"?

I'm interested in something very small that can be comfortably carried in a pants pocket that is still sufficiently potent to be used for personal protection.

Mainly, I want something for when I go running (my .45 carry gun is too big, too heavy) and for a back-up piece.

Any thoughts on .32s vs. .380s? Kahr and Bersa both have some models in this category... .

I once owned a Beretta .22 rimfire pistol and it was POS that jammed constantly. I threw it in the woods...

I, at times carry a 6.35, (25) caliber Mouser. It holds a nine round clip, plus I have an extra one for it. It's about 4" square, and weighs about a quarter pound, just guessing. It not to bad close up to maybe 20, 30 feet. but all bets are off beyond that. This one was an SS gun, known as a BOOT gun. I do have an ankle holster and it works just fine. It's light enough that it does not bother me when I'm out and about, and I can take off my jacket without people going skitzo on me. The bad thing, which you have to be aware of, there is no exposed hammer. So if it is cocked, there is no way to uncock it without shoving an empty clip into it, and dry firing it. If there is a way to uncock it, with a clip in, without popping a cap, I haven't found it yet. But all and all. it's a nice little pocket gun, and like any other gun, a little common sense goes a long way. Oh yes, be sure the safety is on, or you wont have to worry about clipping the Gene Pool.

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM View Post
    I, at times carry a 6.35, (25) caliber Mouser. It holds a nine round clip, plus I have an extra one for it. It's about 4" square, and weighs about a quarter pound, just guessing. It not to bad close up to maybe 20, 30 feet. but all bets are off beyond that. This one was an SS gun, known as a BOOT gun. I do have an ankle holster and it works just fine. It's light enough that it does not bother me when I'm out and about, and I can take off my jacket without people going skitzo on me. The bad thing, which you have to be aware of, there is no exposed hammer. So if it is cocked, there is no way to uncock it without shoving an empty clip into it, and dry firing it. If there is a way to uncock it, with a clip in, without popping a cap, I haven't found it yet. But all and all. it's a nice little pocket gun, and like any other gun, a little common sense goes a long way. Oh yes, be sure the safety is on, or you wont have to worry about clipping the Gene Pool.
    I haven't seen one of those; sounds neat!

I ended up getting a Bersa Thunder in .380 - it's basically a copy (a very well-built copy, I might add) of the Walther PPK. Bersa makes some very nice pistols; this one cost about $300 which is a very reasonable price for such a nice gun.

One thing I especially like about it is that like my Sig 220 it has a decock feature that lets you safely carry it with a round already chambered - which for a personal defense piece is essential in my opinion. I would not carry a pistol that did not have this feature as I am not interested in becoming a eunuch!

The only thing I don't like about it is that right now .380 ammo is very hard to come by and when you do come by it you can rarely get more than a box or two as most stores in my areas are rationing them.

I have not been able to shoot it all that much as a result.

Here's a pic of my gun rack - the Bersa's on the far right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've got a small .22 semiauto that I carry as a necknnut gun. Good for a few feet at best. It's mainly for close up defense. In short, you stick it in the assailants neck or nuts. For when I'm up in my woods, I've got a .38 Charter Arms Undercover Special with a 2 inch barrel. I've also got a Taurus copy of the Colt .45 revolver. Sweet weaponj that is dead nuts accurate. The only time I've ever missed was the first time I fired it and over compensated for the recoil I remembered from my .357 I had previously.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I haven't checked on .380 ammo on this side of the plains, but so far, I have not had any problems with getting ammo for any of my goody's. There are enough of us RED NECKS over here that we, and often do, make up our own loads. So far, powder and caps are NOT in short supply, nor is lead. I like to modify my lead to give it more effect. My 6.35 will allow you to carry one in the cradle, but make sure the safety is on. But it still does bother me at times, that if struck just right, it could possibly allow it to discharge. I only have the one Auto, the rest are revolvers, and a 16 gauge palm gun, that in a pinch, could make one hell of a hole in whom ever at close range. Wouldn't do your hand or thigh much good either. I haven't had the brass to fire that one yet, nor has anybody else. My favorite is a S&W .357, with a nine inch barrel. I've have had this one for over forty five years, Still works just fine, and is very harassing when looking down the barrel. That one says
    "If the round doesn't get you, the concussion will".

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I've got a small .22 semiauto that I carry as a necknnut gun. Good for a few feet at best. It's mainly for close up defense. In short, you stick it in the assailants neck or nuts. For when I'm up in my woods, I've got a .38 Charter Arms Undercover Special with a 2 inch barrel. I've also got a Taurus copy of the Colt .45 revolver. Sweet weaponj that is dead nuts accurate. The only time I've ever missed was the first time I fired it and over compensated for the recoil I remembered from my .357 I had previously.
    I've had good experiences with Taurus also. I've owned one of their Colt copies and still have a Millennium Pro .45 that I consider to be a lot of gun for the money. It's not as accurate or as pretty as my Sig, but it literally cost a third the price of the Sig. I keep it around the house for back-up.

I also once owned a necknut .22 - made by Beretta; one of their "top loaders" with a barrel that releases upward. That gun jammed so often I never trusted it and gave it away to a friend who needed a cheap (free) piece.

I'm not sure I did him a favor!

I haven't checked on .380 ammo on this side of the plains, but so far, I have not had any problems with getting ammo for any of my goody's. There are enough of us RED NECKS over here that we, and often do, make up our own loads. So far, powder and caps are NOT in short supply, nor is lead. I like to modify my lead to give it more effect. My 6.35 will allow you to carry one in the cradle, but make sure the safety is on. But it still does bother me at times, that if struck just right, it could possibly allow it to discharge. I only have the one Auto, the rest are revolvers, and a 16 gauge palm gun, that in a pinch, could make one hell of a hole in whom ever at close range. Wouldn't do your hand or thigh much good either. I haven't had the brass to fire that one yet, nor has anybody else. My favorite is a S&W .357, with a nine inch barrel. I've have had this one for over forty five years, Still works just fine, and is very harassing when looking down the barrel. That one says
    "If the round doesn't get you, the concussion will".
    I like the idea of hand-loading a lot. I just have no clue how to do it and don't want to risk problems (or ruin guns) via my learning curve. How did you learn to hand-load? It seems most guys who do this got trained by their fathers. Mine wasn't much of a shooter, so I never got that kind of instruction when I was growing up....

I have a couple of hunting buddies, tho I can't hunt any more, that kind of taught me how to do it, and I'm still learning. Some "Hot Loads" I have found out, are a little TO HOT. I do not do any reloads in any part of the house. I have a small room out in my shop, with fresh air ventilation moving all air outside. First, you need to chose the calibers that are the ones you want to use the most. Of course, finding good brass can be a problem at times. I only use mine twice, for the brass will swell out to much. Some brass will not resize worth a darn. The heat from firing will cause the brass to become to brittle, and will not shrink. There are different types of powder as well. depends on your usage. Reloading equipment, again will also be based on what you want to do. There is some good stuff and some not so good stuff. Check with some of your Buds, and get their opinions on what they use. Some have some good features, some don't. I've known some guys that have made some of their own. I suppose the most important thing is safety. Heat sources will be your most feared enemy. I don't use any kind of incandescent lighting, or any type of open flame. The dust from the powder can be an issue on your reloading bench. Keep things clean. Get some ideas from hunting magazines. Talk to people. I do have a Friend that used to do reloads. He still doesn't know for sure, what set off an explosion in the basement in his home in the middle of the night. But he suspects a pilot flame from his furnace or water heater ignited some dust that had accumulated in the area. He lost his Left Leg above the knee, and was burnt over Seventy percent of his body. He doesn't do reloads anymore. So Safety in what ever you do is the most important number one thing to keep in mind. Practice, Practice and more practice will make you more confidant, but don't get to cocky. It can reach up and bite you.

I have a couple of hunting buddies, tho I can't hunt any more, that kind of taught me how to do it, and I'm still learning. Some "Hot Loads" I have found out, are a little TO HOT. I do not do any reloads in any part of the house. I have a small room out in my shop, with fresh air ventilation moving all air outside. First, you need to chose the calibers that are the ones you want to use the most. Of course, finding good brass can be a problem at times. I only use mine twice, for the brass will swell out to much. Some brass will not resize worth a darn. The heat from firing will cause the brass to become to brittle, and will not shrink. There are different types of powder as well. depends on your usage. Reloading equipment, again will also be based on what you want to do. There is some good stuff and some not so good stuff. Check with some of your Buds, and get their opinions on what they use. Some have some good features, some don't. I've known some guys that have made some of their own. I suppose the most important thing is safety. Heat sources will be your most feared enemy. I don't use any kind of incandescent lighting, or any type of open flame. The dust from the powder can be an issue on your reloading bench. Keep things clean. Get some ideas from hunting magazines. Talk to people. I do have a Friend that used to do reloads. He still doesn't know for sure, what set off an explosion in the basement in his home in the middle of the night. But he suspects a pilot flame from his furnace or water heater ignited some dust that had accumulated in the area. He lost his Left Leg above the knee, and was burnt over Seventy percent of his body. He doesn't do reloads anymore. So Safety in what ever you do is the most important number one thing to keep in mind. Practice, Practice and more practice will make you more confidant, but don't get to cocky. It can reach up and bite you.
    Excellent advice - thanks!

I guess the main thing I like about being able to reload, beyond saving money, is the survival aspect. I believe there's a better than 50-50 chance this country will either fall apart or descend into civil war or become a police state within my lifetime, possible within the next few years. I'd like to be ready....