Thread: The Citroen Duck returns.

The Citroen Duck returns.

The VW Beetle, the Mini and the Fiat 500 are all brilliant examples of small cars from the good old days that have gained an ever-increasing number of new admirers and buyers after relaunch. The retro trend has been a resounding success for those manufacturers. The next cult car is now in the pipeline. Citroen are to resurrect the 2CV, better known as the 'Duck'. Around five million examples of the Duck sold worldwide between 1948 and 1990. In truth, there's not much left of the old body shape but at first sight, the car looks very zippy. The Citroen DS2's design is largely based on the REVOLTe concept car that so fascinated visitors to September's Frankfurt Motor Show. The treatment of the rear holds the greatest nostalgia value for former fans – it's very accomplished. The lack of a roll-up roof is sure to be addressed in a future model. Expected price is a not unreasonable 13,000 euros, (around £11,700 in the UK).

The Beetle may have gone - maybe the Duck ate it?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Staff
    Thats a little expensive for a smaller car, even if its retro, but, European car companies have been a lot more successful than American companies at applying that concept. For example, the Ford Thunderbird, the Chevy HHR and the PT Cruiser (except for the first year or so have been flops. You could even count the Jaguar S-type as a flop. It never sold more than 40k in any year.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Thats a little expensive for a smaller car, even if its retro, but, European car companies have been a lot more successful than American companies at applying that concept. For example, the Ford Thunderbird, the Chevy HHR and the PT Cruiser (except for the first year or so have been flops. You could even count the Jaguar S-type as a flop. It never sold more than 40k in any year.
    My guess is that Stateside it will probably be priced at around one buck to the £1 - say around $11,000 including all taxes. That seems to be the usual translation between US and UK prices.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    My guess is that Stateside it will probably be priced at around one buck to the £1 - say around $11,000 including all taxes. That seems to be the usual translation between US and UK prices.

Ken.
    $11k or so would be very competitive. Currently, the least expensive new car in the US market is the Nissan Versa 1.6 (just under $10k to start).

We need more such cars, in my opinion.

Can't say as I've ever heard anyone call the 2CV a "Duck"; "Ente", which means duck, in Germany, yes, but I'd suggest the more common nickname in the UK was "Tin Snail"?

My wife calls 'em "Deux ChevEux"!
    Last edited by Dave Brand; 12-15-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
    Can't say as I've ever heard anyone call the 2CV a "Duck"; "Ente", which means duck, in Germany, yes, but I'd suggest the more common nickname in the UK was "Tin Snail"?

My wife calls 'em "Deux ChevEux"!
    Me neither. 2CV means two horses (HP).

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Me neither. 2CV means two horses (HP).
    Literally 'deux chevaux' (two horses). I think Dave's good lady was nearly correct with Deux Cheveux, which I think translates literally as 'Two hairs' but could be a pun on 'Two Hares' which have even less power than two horses.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.