Thread: Power's back....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Power's back....

We have been off the grid for about two days; the juice is back on now so I have cut off the generator. But having that thing is a godsend. If you don't have one - you should. No matter where you live and what the weather issues may be, you can be unplugged at any time. And when you don;t have power for a few days, you'll quickly realize how much you miss it!

How much gas did you use?

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    How much gas did you use?

Chip H.
    Less than I thought!

To operate the generator for about two days, continuously, took about 6-8 gallons according to my best guesstimate. It was full at start-up and I only emptied one appx. 5 gallon jug refilling it during it that time.

That is much better than I thought it would be.

Do you have a dedicated circuit for it, or are you using the "ghetto" hookup via your electric dryer plug?

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    That is much better than I thought it would be.

Do you have a dedicated circuit for it, or are you using the "ghetto" hookup via your electric dryer plug?

Chip H.
    Dedicated hook-up!

Had an electrician come out and wire everything. We now have a third box and transfer switch. When the grid power fails, I start the generator, connect it via a single HD cable to the outlet, throw the transfer switch - and we're back online. It's all set up so that I could easily upgrade to a full house generator that kicks in automatically, but for now, what we have has been sufficient. The 5,550 watt generator can run the well pump, blower for the wood stove, my office/computer, my wife's office/computer and the den/TV.

Main thing we don't have hooked in that we miss after couple of days is the hot water heater!

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Dedicated hook-up!

Had an electrician come out and wire everything. We now have a third box and transfer switch. When the grid power fails, I start the generator, connect it via a single HD cable to the outlet, throw the transfer switch - and we're back online. It's all set up so that I could easily upgrade to a full house generator that kicks in automatically, but for now, what we have has been sufficient. The 5,550 watt generator can run the well pump, blower for the wood stove, my office/computer, my wife's office/computer and the den/TV.

Main thing we don't have hooked in that we miss after couple of days is the hot water heater!
    If you had a RV, you would have it all, even when at home. BTW, the genny in the RV uses about one gallon in two hours at full load, IIRC. A lot less if you're not using it under a full load.

The water heater works from the propane tank.

BTW, I own three generators. One at each home plus the RV.

BTW, did you hear that GM stopped making the 8.1L engine? And the 7.4L is soon going away too?

-Don- SF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    If you had a RV, you would have it all, even when at home. BTW, the genny in the RV uses about one gallon in two hours at full load, IIRC. A lot less if you're not using it under a full load.

The water heater works from the propane tank.

BTW, I own three generators. One at each home plus the RV.

BTW, did you hear that GM stopped making the 8.1L engine? And the 7.4L is soon going away too?

-Don- SF, CA

RVs are neat. They're one of those things I wish I had time for... even a little one, like the old VW campers.

I hadn't heard about the demise of the 8.1 and 7.4 but I am not surprised. For one, the "small block" LS series V-8s are making incredible power (400-plus hp, plus tremendous torque) rendering the big blocks superfluous. For two, they (the smaller V-8s) are capable of decent gas mileage (30 on the highway in a small car like the Corvette) while the big blocks are just complete pigs - and with the new CAFE stuff coming up, those pigs are all on the Endangered Species list!