Thread: 15 Horrifying Reasons to Never Let Anyone You Love Near a McDonald's

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

15 Horrifying Reasons to Never Let Anyone You Love Near a McDonald's

The Golden Arches: the ultimate American icon. Super Size Me taught us that fast food culture brings obesity, heart disease, hypertension and a whole slew of other problems. How bad do you really want that Big Mac? Here are 15 reasons you’ll never let anyone you love get near those Golden Arches.

1. Real food is perishable. With time, it begins to decay. It’s a natural process, it just happens. Beef will rot, bread will mold. But what about a McDonald’s burger? Karen Hanrahan saved a McDonald’s burger from 1996 and, oddly enough, it looks just as “appetizing” and “fresh” as a burger you might buy today. Is this real food?

Full article- with pics - here:

http://www.alternet.org/healthwellne...7s?page=entire

And seedy, probably child-molesting hamburger clown commercial here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4JgvTOdhtQ

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Is this real food?
    It seems to me all that's saying is:

1. The preservatives work very well.

2. There are a lot of calories (the main reason for eating is for the energy and it has a lot).

Is there any REAL evidence that it's unhealthy? None was shown, IMO.

BTW, would you rather eat an old hamburger without the preservatives or with them? Which way would be best?

BTW, I have not had a McDonald's hamburger for several months. But I wouldn't worry about it much if I did.

-Don- SSF, CA

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    It seems to me all that's saying is:

1. The preservatives work very well.

2. There are a lot of calories (the main reason for eating is for the energy and it has a lot).

Is there any REAL evidence that it's unhealthy? None was shown, IMO.

BTW, would you rather eat an old hamburger without the preservatives or with them? Which way would be best?

BTW, I have not had a McDonald's hamburger for several months. But I wouldn't worry about it much if I did.

-Don- SSF, CA
    I eat fast food occasionally - about twice a month - and I think it's probably ok to eat it that way, as an occasional treat. The problems arise from eating too much, too often. It's probably not even the food, per se, but the excessive calories and fat that you get from today's oversized proportions.

A Quarter Pounder was considered a big hamburger in the '70s; today it is about the same size as the average "standard/small" cheeseburger.

I have to wonder what possessed someone to save a McDonalds hamburger for 13 years. I tend to save stuff as I will usuallt need it again. Still, I throw old food away if I don't eat it. Personally, I rarely eat in McDonalds. My lady friend used to work there and I refuse to be a cog in their money machine. Now, I know a restaurant needs to make a profit to stay in business. I'd like to open one myself some day. However, I feel that you ought to offer a comfortable setting and relaxation instead of calories to cram in your pie hole.

My brother-in-law is friends with the manager of the McD's across the street from his office. What they call sweet tea is actually tea flavored sugar water. The manager would prefer to not add so much sugar but that is what the corporate people want so that's what they get.

McDonalds is not run by people interested in offering good food. It's run by folks out to make a buck, period. Corporate McDonald people have never come up with a new sandwich that was any good. The McFish was developed by a local franchisee who was in a heavily Catholic neighborhood that didn't buy meat on Fridays.

I'm pretty sure that if I opened the eatery like I want, I'd give McD's a run for their money and make a decent profit while I'm at it. Better food too. Better tasting for sure.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    It's run by folks out to make a buck, period.
    Which business isn't?

-Don- SSF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Which business isn't?

-Don- SSF, CA

Yes, but most businesses try to spend their advertising money in a rational manner. McDonalds has aired several commercials that make little to no sense. One was on when I was over at the lady friends house and I asked her what it meant. She didn't know either. They just seem to churn money in and out. That seems silly to me. I did a little advertising work in the mid 1970's but I always made sure the ad said something worth saying. Air time on national TV is not cheap. In the end, the customers pay for it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    McDonalds has aired several commercials that make little to no sense. One was on when I was over at the lady friends house and I asked her what it meant. She didn't know either.
    I see that their advertising department did exactly what they intended to do.

-Don-