Thread: POS First Car

Wink POS First Car

I'm on my 28th car since April of 2000 & I have had my share of POS vehicles. The worst one I ever had I will never forget, as it was more of a junkyard sled then a car. It was a 1987 Chrysler New Yorker & it spent 90% of its time in the shop. The car had more electrical issues than a house wired by a monkey. Thats the one car I spent $2750 on the car & spent about $3000K on repairs just to trade it in a year later for $400. There wasn't no end to that car. Looks of the car was just as decieving as the car lot that sold it to me. If one thing, it made me a alot wiser on buying vehicles and taught me a valuable experience, at my expense. All I say to that car is good riddens & I'm glad its gone. What ever you do, check a car out yourself or have your mechanic check it out, not the dealers mechanic! Also if it sounds & looks to good to be true, it probably is. I'll talk about several other POS vehicles I've had at a later date.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    I'm on my 28th car since April of 2000 & I have had my share of POS vehicles. The worst one I ever had I will never forget, as it was more of a junkyard sled then a car. It was a 1987 Chrysler New Yorker & it spent 90% of its time in the shop. The car had more electrical issues than a house wired by a monkey. Thats the one car I spent $2750 on the car & spent about $3000K on repairs just to trade it in a year later for $400. There wasn't no end to that car. Looks of the car was just as decieving as the car lot that sold it to me. If one thing, it made me a alot wiser on buying vehicles and taught me a valuable experience, at my expense. All I say to that car is good riddens & I'm glad its gone. What ever you do, check a car out yourself or have your mechanic check it out, not the dealers mechanic! Also if it sounds & looks to good to be true, it probably is. I'll talk about several other POS vehicles I've had at a later date.
    28 - wow...

You are The King!

I remember the K-car based New Yorkers of that era and they were true cock-a-roaches of the road. The only thing worse was the "Chryslerati" TC.... remember that one?

No I don't remember them.

No I don't remember them.
    It was a LeBaron with opera windows, the Maserati trident and a shitty V-6. The things were overpriced when new, shoddy and unreliable to boot!

Just say "no" to MOPAR.

i disagree with saying no to Mopar. There are certiain mopar vehicles I will never touch again with a 10 foot pool, one of them being they Plymouth Breeze, Dodge Stratus, Dodge Caravan and all in that line as they used they same POS transmission that is more unreliable then the odds of getting struck by lightening 10 times in a row. However there are some of their products that arent bad, such as the Dakota's.

i disagree with saying no to Mopar. There are certiain mopar vehicles I will never touch again with a 10 foot pool, one of them being they Plymouth Breeze, Dodge Stratus, Dodge Caravan and all in that line as they used they same POS transmission that is more unreliable then the odds of getting struck by lightening 10 times in a row. However there are some of their products that arent bad, such as the Dakota's.

The problem with the transmission depends on what engine you got. The old transmission with three speeds was bullet proof. In the 90's, if you got a 4 banger, you still got the three speed unit. The V-6 units though with overdrive didn't like to be hot rodded. Overheat them just a little bit and they were toast. To get the fourth gear set in the same size case, everything had to be made smaller and lighter. One gal I know always complained about transmission failure on her Dodge mini-van to the point of her getting a Toyota. The transmission went out at 22K. I was on my Kawasaki Concours once and I liked to grab a hand full of throttle from time to time. She was racing to get ahead of me. Why, I don't know. A 700 pound motorcycle (they were built on the old Ninja 900 muscle bike platform) with 110 h.p. will easily stay ahead of a min-van with a load of at least 4 kids. After bitching about the poor transmission in the Toyota, she now has a Chevy Equinox. I've heard her go by and the transmission didn't sound like it was shifting right.

So, a lot of the transmission problems in the mini-vans were operator difficulties. The Dodge trucks with automatics from '94 up did have torque converter problems. If you ever look at one and there is a rattle like something spinning around in front of the transmission, run away. Torque converter death rattle is an expensive problem getting ready to happen.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I've gotta tell it like it is....

Much as I like Chrysler products as far as their looks, attitude, power and so on - they generally have a much worse track record for durability/reliability than other major brands.

The fact that Chrysler has been teetering on the edge of the abyss for years has had consequences in the form of cost-cutting (sub-par materials and often shoddy workmanship).

Let me give you a sad example of this.

I had a new Challenger recently to test drive and as part of the process I do a walk-around. Well, I popped open the trunk to look in there and was greeted by a truly shocking sight - for a 2010 model year vehicle, anyhow. Plainly visible was the seam where the rear quarter panels meet up with the rear valance (the horizontal metal section between the left and right rear quarter panels) and the trunk floor. In every modern car I have seen - and I see hundreds of them every year - seams are incredibly precise and finished to a high degree of workmanship. In the Challenger, the panels were crudely joined, with obvious spot welds and then slathered with body filler "goop" that looked like it had been applied with a bristle broom. This was how they used to build 'em, alright - back in the 1960s. My 1976 Trans-Am has more
    "finished" body seams. Just atrocious.

Here's a picture, so you know I am not making it up:
    Attached Images Attached Images