Thread: Confusion replacing 02 Sensor

Confusion replacing 02 Sensor

I got the CEL and found P0030 (O2 sensor) on my 2005 Volvo XC90 T6, 46,000 miles.

I can get to the sensor from the engine compartment. However the wires disappear after the first 12" of wire. It would be a bitch to find where they go - there's hoses / pipes / etc, can't see, can't get your hand in there.

Question #1 - The Volvo OEM part is really expensive, the Bosch is $150, and some generic's can be had for $40. What is the difference? Should I just splice in a cheapie?

Question #2 - It seems the easiest to cut the wires and splice the new sensor, rather than get under the car and find where the 02 sensor plugs in. What do you think of this?

Answer #1 - Depends, do you want to do it more than once? (DON'T GET THE CHEAPIE, but the Bosch may be okay -- honestly I don't know)

Answer #2 - Do your best not to cut wires, but if that's the way it is you have to.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I got the CEL and found P0030 (O2 sensor) on my 2005 Volvo XC90 T6, 46,000 miles.

I can get to the sensor from the engine compartment. However the wires disappear after the first 12" of wire. It would be a bitch to find where they go - there's hoses / pipes / etc, can't see, can't get your hand in there.

Question #1 - The Volvo OEM part is really expensive, the Bosch is $150, and some generic's can be had for $40. What is the difference? Should I just splice in a cheapie?

Question #2 - It seems the easiest to cut the wires and splice the new sensor, rather than get under the car and find where the 02 sensor plugs in. What do you think of this?

I don't know about cutting the wires - but I agree with Dom 100 percent about the "cheapie" - forget it!

Bosch makes a ton of OEM stuff so their replacement part is probably just fine. It may even be the OEM part!

OE on a Volvo will almost certainly be Bosch, so there's no point in paying extra for a fancy Volvo box. I wouldn't buy a generic - they are cheap for a reason! If you want good quality (arguably better than Bosch) at a lower price try NTK (made by NGK); I don't know how they compare in the US, but in the UK they sell for around 70% the price of a Bosch sensor.

Thanks you guy's - I'm gonna go with the Bosch for $150.

Still have the problem of locating were it connects. With the turbo piping, brake lines, hoses, it is not possible to trace the wire.

The Hennepin county library system has AllData - and even there - there is no info as to where to locate the connector - or what one has to remove in order to get at it!