Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Unemployment: The 2010 Time Bomb

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740

    Unemployment: The 2010 Time Bomb

    American employers eliminated 4.2 million jobs in 2009 and sent unemployment soaring into double digits for the first time in more than a quarter century.

    Since the fall of last year, the official jobless rate has been over ten percent, while the unofficial rate (taking in the severely underemployed and those who have given up looking) has been over 17 percent.

    And, despite the ridiculous "green-shoots" speculation of the Obama administration and overblown "recovery" fantasies of the financial media that has blown every major economic story of recent years, the situation is getting worse.

    Analysts had predicted that December layoffs would number around 8,000.

    Instead, the figure was more than ten times higher: 85,000.

    Unemployment held steady at 10 percent – not because the job market is stabilizing but because tens of thousands of Americans gave up looking for work and are no longer counted among the unemployed.

    The sharp drop in the labor force is not merely an indicator of the real unemployment rate. It is a confirmation of the mounting hopelessness in vast stretches of the United States – particularly in California, southern New England and the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes States, where communities are being devastated by a federal auto-industry "bailout" that continues to encourage carmakers to shutter factories in U.S. cities and to relocate production to Mexico and China.

    The new unemployment numbers are devastating, and they should send up red flares in Washington, a city where officials have so far has been absurdly neglectful of the most serious social, economic and political crisis facing the country.

    The Obama administration and Democratic leaders in Congress are pouring a great deal of energy into trying to salvage something acceptable from the health-care reform debacle and, in the aftermath of the Christmas Day flight scare, they are increasingly focused on "war-on-terror" issues. (They may even be starting to recognize the extent to which the White House bungled things by spending a fall focused on Afghanistan when potential threats were elsewhere.)

    There is no question that health-care policy and homeland security are serious matters.

    But the most serious matter facing this White House and this Congress is mounting unemployment. As Senator Russ Feingold, the Wisconsin Democrat who has been struggling to turn Washington's attention toward jobs issues for much of the past year said Friday: "Today's jobs report underscores the need for Congress and the Obama administration to make jobs an immediate priority. The report shows that employment continues to lag so swift action is needed."

    The United States has entered a new election year. The 2010 cycle promises to be one of the most volatile political moments since the economically-driven realigning elections of 1958 (which confirmed long-term Democratic control of the Congress) and 1980 (which saw the Republicans reassert themselves under the leadership of Ronald Reagan).

    As in those previous years, political leaders are worried about serious domestic- and foreign-policy concerns.

    But the voters are worried about jobs and the economy.

    President Obama and the Democrats in Congress face the prospect of serious setbacks in 2010 congressional and state races if they do not recognize that there is a disconnect between their focus and that of the American people who will decide the political direction of the country in November.

    Unemployment is a devastating social reality for those experiencing it.

    Unemployment is a frightening economic reality for those who still have jobs but who wonder whether their jobs are threatened – and who constrain their spending and lifestyle choices accordingly.

    But unemployment is something else altogether for elected officials who occupy positions of power. It is the single greatest threat to their political survival.

    Forget about the personalities, the Chris Dodds and the Byron Dorgans.

    Forget about the supposed accomplishments or failures of the administration and its "party-of-no" critics. The only accomplishment that could -- or should -- matter is a serious reduction in unemployment: a reduction that will only be achieved with new investments in infrastructure, a ramping up of green jobs initiatives, the creation of smarter incentives for hiring and retaining workers, and the abandonment of free-trade policies that cut U.S. manufacturing employment by more than half over the past decade.

    No issue, no concern, is more likely to shift the sentiments of the electorate than mounting joblessness and economic instability. And there is no rhetorical flourish, no diversionary tactic, sufficient to win forgiveness from unemployment remains in double digits come election day – let alone if it is still rising.

    If the president or congressional allies think health care reforms that for the most part won't kick in for half a decade or mimicking George Bush's tough-on-terror blathering is going to make voters forget the fact that one in ten of them are jobless or that one in seven of them are in dire employment straits, then the Democrats are in for the rudest of all political awakenings.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago vicinity
    Posts
    549
    Eric;
    How about under employment? People just scrap by today living from check to check.

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Eric;
    How about under employment? People just scrap by today living from check to check.
    Absolutely.

    I'm not buying the "green shoots" recovery happy talk that's being peddled by the same tools that were telling us how great things were just before the collapse of the housing market and implosion of Wall Street...

    So, brace for impact - the worst is yet to come.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So, brace for impact - the worst is yet to come.
    I have trouble envisioning what jobs will be created. It seems to me we have devistated many sectors of our economy. We have shipped all the electronics manufacturing, programming, customer service jobs overseas. Same for textiles, fabrics, shoes, clothes - all made in Malaysia somewhere. Did you know that there are no bath towels or sheets made in this country? Wamsutta and others are now made in China. Japan / Germany / Korea are now eating American auto manuf lunch. The US car companies are not gonna rebound. Books are printed in China. Toys are made in China

    I really can't see any new service sector jobs.

    So what's left?

    I say there isn't anything. These 'green jobs' are basically 'make work' jobs.
    Last edited by dBrong; 01-10-2010 at 01:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    335
    Not so oddly enough, I've been looking for work recently.
    So far, I haven't found a trace of those jobs.

  6. #6
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I have trouble envisioning what jobs will be created. It seems to me we have devistated many sectors of our economy. We have shipped all the electronics manufacturing, programming, customer service jobs overseas. Same for textiles, fabrics, shoes, clothes - all made in Malaysia somewhere. Did you know that there are no bath towels or sheets made in this country? Wamsutta and others are now made in China. Japan / Germany / Korea are now eating American auto manuf lunch. The US car companies are not gonna rebound. Books are printed in China. Toys are made in China

    I really can't see any new service sector jobs.

    So what's left?

    I say there isn't anything. These 'green jobs' are basically 'make work' jobs.

    There are virtually no made in the USA items available at conventional retail stores. You have to go online and search for made in the USA products. I had to purchase some undershirts because of the record breaking cold. I found them at www.allamericanclothing.com

    There are other sites as well for made in the USA stuff.

    I would try buyamerican.com, stillmadeinusa.com, howtobuyamerican.com and others. I keep my participation in the normal retail culture to an absolute minimum.

    Corporations suck. The voters suck (as a whole).

    There are absolutely no jobs left because of the outsourcing that has taken place. The article is spot on when it comes to the points made on freeeeee trade. It continues to be ignored by the major poltical party (Republicans and Democrats)
    Last edited by swamprat; 01-10-2010 at 01:58 PM.

  7. #7
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    There are virtually no made in the USA items available at conventional retail stores. You have to go online and search for made in the USA products. I had to purchase some undershirts because of the record breaking cold. I found them at www.allamericanclothing.com

    There are other sites as well for made in the USA stuff.

    I would try buyamerican.com, stillmadeinusa.com, howtobuyamerican.com and others. I keep my participation in the normal retail culture to an absolute minimum.

    Corporations suck. The voters suck (as a whole).

    There are absolutely no jobs left because of the outsourcing that has taken place. The article is spot on when it comes to the points made on freeeeee trade. It continues to be ignored by the major poltical party (Republicans and Democrats)

    I just bought a Coleman multi-fuel camping stove the other day - made in Kansas. Interestingly enough, Amazon.com sells a similar stove - with the Coleman brand - that is made in China.

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    Not so oddly enough, I've been looking for work recently.
    So far, I haven't found a trace of those jobs.
    My industry - publishing - has been decimated. A good friend of mine recently lost his editor job after 20-plus years. They laid off 65 percent of the newsroom.

    My income has gone down by 60 percent vs. two years ago. The only reason I'm ok is because we had the good fortune to sell our old house before the bubble burst - and bought the current house outright. If we had a $1,500 monthly mortgage to cover, we'd be on shaky ground.... so I am very sympathetic toward all the people who are facing tough times through no fault of their own.

    It really sucks out there...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    I've been getting a few (2-3 per month) emails from recruiters recently.

    So far, it's been for jobs that few people would want, but given that I didn't get ANY feelers in the previous 10 months, I take this as a good sign.

    Chip H.

  10. #10
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Big pay cuts

    This job would have paid b/t 50-75 k two years ago.


    LocationOcala, FL 34474IndustriesManufacturing - OtherJob TypeFull Time EmployeeYears of Experience7+​ to 10 YearsEducation LevelBachelor's DegreeCareer LevelExperienced (Non-Manager)Salary25,000.​00 - 50,000.​00 USD /​yearJob Reference CodeAPOS_0003840 Engineer

    About the Job



    Design automated electromechanical machines for the production of disposable medical products.​ Zefon International is a growing manufacturer of disposable medical and air monitoring devices.​ We have been in Ocala, FL for 20 years and employ approximately 100 people.​ Visit http://www.​zefon.​com/​medical for more details on the company and products.​



    This position will design and modify automation machines and equipment which produce Zefon products.​ The applicant should have a complete understanding of mechanical systems and electrical sensors and be able to use CAD and/​or Solid Works.​ This position will use PLC's, servo /​ stepper motors, pneumatic motion cylinders, vision systems, etc.​ Previous design work on small part machines is required.​



    Qualifications

    10+​ years experience in automation

    5+​ years in machine design

    4 year Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent experience

    Expert in CAD and/​or Solid Works



    Benefits

    Position includes a full benefit package including health care and retirement benefits.​
    Last edited by swamprat; 01-10-2010 at 03:11 PM.

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    This job would have paid b/t 50-75 k two years ago.


    LocationOcala, FL 34474IndustriesManufacturing - OtherJob TypeFull Time EmployeeYears of Experience7+​ to 10 YearsEducation LevelBachelor's DegreeCareer LevelExperienced (Non-Manager)Salary25,000.​00 - 50,000.​00 USD /​yearJob Reference CodeAPOS_0003840 Engineer

    About the Job



    Design automated electromechanical machines for the production of disposable medical products.​ Zefon International is a growing manufacturer of disposable medical and air monitoring devices.​ We have been in Ocala, FL for 20 years and employ approximately 100 people.​ Visit http://www.​zefon.​com/​medical for more details on the company and products.​



    This position will design and modify automation machines and equipment which produce Zefon products.​ The applicant should have a complete understanding of mechanical systems and electrical sensors and be able to use CAD and/​or Solid Works.​ This position will use PLC's, servo /​ stepper motors, pneumatic motion cylinders, vision systems, etc.​ Previous design work on small part machines is required.​



    Qualifications

    10+​ years experience in automation

    5+​ years in machine design

    4 year Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent experience

    Expert in CAD and/​or Solid Works



    Benefits

    Position includes a full benefit package including health care and retirement benefits.​

    $25 to $50k for an experienced engineering position? A fucking assistant manager at McDonalds makes $30k.....

  12. #12
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    $25 to $50k for an experienced engineering position? A fucking assistant manager at McDonalds makes $30k.....
    That's the worst thing I have seen so far. It is ridiculous.

Similar Threads

  1. The Ticking Time Bomb in Your Dashboard
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2012, 08:50 PM
  2. The Debt Bomb ticks on...
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 09:05 AM
  3. Ass bomb Maggot
    By Eric in forum The Maggots...
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2009, 07:22 AM
  4. Unemployment Hits 26-Year High - Time for An Immigration Moratorium!
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 07:33 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •