Thread: 1990 Jaguar XJ6

1990 Jaguar XJ6

I am thinking about selling my 1990 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign. It has 54k miles on it and is in pretty good shape. If anyone is interested I will let you know what is good about it and what isn't. Or open to suggestions. I am not looking to make a killing on it but don't want to give it away, either.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mase; 01-15-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Nobody has any suggestions?

If I decide to sell, should I put it up on eBay? Should I look for maybe a place that does consignment sales? Should I just put it on Craig's List? What do you think it is worth? How should I handle a test drive? Should I just let somebody take off in it, or should I go along? How should I handle the paperwork, so as to lose my liability at the time of sale? I am thinking, accompany the buyer to the DMV and make sure the title is changed.

My intention is to be completely honest about what is right with the car and what is wrong. What I would do to it if I decide to keep it, what might be absolutely necessary to fix, and what might be nice to fix. Is this naive? Should I once again become a used care salesman and just do hype?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    That is beautiful car; "classic" Jaguar lines... why do you want to sell?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    Nobody has any suggestions?

If I decide to sell, should I put it up on eBay? Should I look for maybe a place that does consignment sales? Should I just put it on Craig's List? What do you think it is worth? How should I handle a test drive? Should I just let somebody take off in it, or should I go along? How should I handle the paperwork, so as to lose my liability at the time of sale? I am thinking, accompany the buyer to the DMV and make sure the title is changed.

My intention is to be completely honest about what is right with the car and what is wrong. What I would do to it if I decide to keep it, what might be absolutely necessary to fix, and what might be nice to fix. Is this naive? Should I once again become a used care salesman and just do hype?
    eBay is better for sellers than buyers when it comes to cars but you may have to deal with out of state buyers, the hassle of payment and paperwork, etc. If you go this route, I'd make it clear (unless you don't mind doing it) that pick-up/shipping will be the buyer's sole responsibility and that you will not release the title or the car until full cash payment is in hand.

Craigs is better in my opinion because you'll be dealing (mostly) with a local audience and also because it's free!

A consignment shop is convenient but if you go this route look for a place that does a "set fee" deal rather than lopping a percentage off the sales price as their fee. Be wary of any other "charges" they may apply, too. Get the deal in writing before you commit and be sure you understand every bit of it.

I'll see what the price guides say and post the general range separately. Obviously, each car is different and such things as condition, options, color, mileage, etc. can mean an adjustment of 20-50 percent.

If you sell it yourself, be careful about the test drive. Use your gut. If the person seems legitimate, ok. Some prefer to go with the person test driving the car, but in this era you have at least consider the possibility that someone may try to assault you/take the car at weapon-point. Again, trust your gut...

At minimum, ask to see their driver's license and insurance card. Or make sure your policy covers it if they damage the car (or cause damage to someone else's car/property/person).

When the deal is consummated, you'll want a signed bill of sale (two copies, one for them, one for you) listing the date, buyer and seller names, the car's VIN and sales price - in addition to signing over the title to them. Remove your license plates. Do not allow them to drive off with them. Immediately notify your state DMV that the car has been sold and cancel the registration and insurance - as in, the minute they drive off in the car.

There are independent guy's that lease cars / have a dealer's license (I've used one to buy car's from the auto auction). They have connections and know the legalities - I paid $500 to sell my dad's classic BMW - well worth it.

Check out your local yellow pages

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    eBay is better for sellers than buyers when it comes to cars but you may have to deal with out of state buyers, the hassle of payment and paperwork, etc. If you go this route, I'd make it clear (unless you don't mind doing it) that pick-up/shipping will be the buyer's sole responsibility and that you will not release the title or the car until full cash payment is in hand.

Craigs is better in my opinion because you'll be dealing (mostly) with a local audience and also because it's free!

A consignment shop is convenient but if you go this route look for a place that does a "set fee" deal rather than lopping a percentage off the sales price as their fee. Be wary of any other "charges" they may apply, too. Get the deal in writing before you commit and be sure you understand every bit of it.

I'll see what the price guides say and post the general range separately. Obviously, each car is different and such things as condition, options, color, mileage, etc. can mean an adjustment of 20-50 percent.

If you sell it yourself, be careful about the test drive. Use your gut. If the person seems legitimate, ok. Some prefer to go with the person test driving the car, but in this era you have at least consider the possibility that someone may try to assault you/take the car at weapon-point. Again, trust your gut...

At minimum, ask to see their driver's license and insurance card. Or make sure your policy covers it if they damage the car (or cause damage to someone else's car/property/person).

When the deal is consummated, you'll want a signed bill of sale (two copies, one for them, one for you) listing the date, buyer and seller names, the car's VIN and sales price - in addition to signing over the title to them. Remove your license plates. Do not allow them to drive off with them. Immediately notify your state DMV that the car has been sold and cancel the registration and insurance - as in, the minute they drive off in the car.
    Good advice, thanks. Except, in CA the plates go with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    That is beautiful car; "classic" Jaguar lines... why do you want to sell?
    I don't really want to sell it but my wife says I have too many cars.

Every time I have disposed of a car like this I have later regretted it. 1965 Mustang, 1972 LeMans, 1963 Imperial convertible....

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    I don't really want to sell it but my wife says I have too many cars.

Every time I have disposed of a car like this I have later regretted it. 1965 Mustang, 1972 LeMans, 1963 Imperial convertible....

I use craigslist a lot. One thing I make sure to do though is to add the phrase (no spam) in the middle of my phone number. This keeps the robocalls away. For instance, make your number like "555-555-55(no spam)55". Someone interested will cut out the words and dial the number. I've also seen people write the numbers in text and mix it with digits. You will get a lot of people trying to help sell the car, tell you how to make money and such. I had one try to get me to call so they could slip past the state no call list. Lastly, nearly every scammer who has tried to scam me has been using gmail.com addresses. I've got all mail from gmail blocked on the account I use to sell on craigslist.

One other thing you might think of is to find a Jaguar web site for fans of the cars. I've got my Mercedes for sale on one for Mercedes Benz vehicles. This will put it right in front of fans of the car.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.