Thread: Throw Haiti in the woods

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Throw Haiti in the woods

Isn't it interesting how frantically the federal government is stumbling over itself to provide aid to Haiti - a foreign country - with our tax dollars, vs. the indifferent, lethargic attitude it has toward the unprecedented economic disaster faced by millions of Americans?

Unemployment is pushing 20 percent; millions of Americans are threatened with the loss of their homes. Infrastructure is falling apart. We can't find money for basic services.

But Obama has $100 million in cash (plus the use of our military and so on) for Haiti.

Is anyone else annoyed by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Isn't it interesting how frantically the federal government is stumbling over itself to provide aid to Haiti - a foreign country - with our tax dollars, vs. the indifferent, lethargic attitude it has toward the unprecedented economic disaster faced by millions of Americans?

Unemployment is pushing 20 percent; millions of Americans are threatened with the loss of their homes. Infrastructure is falling apart. We can't find money for basic services.

But Obama has $100 million in cash (plus the use of our military and so on) for Haiti.

Our country is totally fu
    More and more people take drugs for depression, anxiety, sleeplessness. There are more shooting sprees at schools, there are cameras everywhere.

My income is down 75% I'm burning up 401k money that I thought I'd never spend. Health insurance for the two of us is $1200 a month.

And we're giving money to Haiti. It really pisses me off.

As I've said in a previous post: "We're bankrupt, we just don't know it yet."

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Our country is totally fu
    More and more people take drugs for depression, anxiety, sleeplessness. There are more shooting sprees at schools, there are cameras everywhere.

My income is down 75% I'm burning up 401k money that I thought I'd never spend. Health insurance for the two of us is $1200 a month.

And we're giving money to Haiti. It really pisses me off.

As I've said in a previous post: "We're bankrupt, we just don't know it yet."

Maybe if you were an "African American"....

I don't know guys.

While I do agree with you ya'll most of the time, but humanitarian aid is kind of different.

Yes, we do have major issues here.

These people in Haiti just had their asses handed to them and they are suffering.

Am I going to send them money for aid, fuck no!

Should our government try to help them, I would have to say yes.

Just because we have problems here doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything.

If having national problems prevented us from doing anything for the world where would our country be now?

Don't answer that!

Shit, I don't know anything..

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I don't know guys.

While I do agree with you ya'll most of the time, but humanitarian aid is kind of different.

Yes, we do have major issues here.

These people in Haiti just had their asses handed to them and they are suffering.

Am I going to send them money for aid, fuck no!

Should our government try to help them, I would have to say yes.

Just because we have problems here doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything.

If having national problems prevented us from doing anything for the world where would our country be now?

Don't answer that!

Shit, I don't know anything..

Let me axe you a question by way of a parallel example:

Suppose your family is on the verge of being tossed out of your home because you've lost your job and can't make the mortgage payment. You have a little money set aside, though - or maybe access to an emergency credit line. But instead of using it to keep food on your family's table and a roof over their heads, you decide to send a big chunk to the Salvation Army (or whatever).

Would that not be a case of screwed priorities?

Just as a man is responsible for the care of his wife and kids - his own family - before anything else, so too the government of a nation is responsible for the people of that nation first and foremost.

My problem isn't with helping Haiti per se - it's with helping Haiti at the expense of Americans, millions of whom are in desperate need and certainly have a greater claim on the limited resources of their own (near bankrupt) government than do the residents of a foreign country.

I guess I am annoyed, but for maybe a different reason.

When tragedy strikes in the world, who is the first on the scene? Who gives aid and help without any regard for a payback? Who bails countries out of problems of their own making and asks nothing in return?

The U. S. of course.

What does it get us when we need a little help, maybe with a UN vote, or some assistance with the fight against idiot terrorists, or Somali pirates, or Keeping North Korea or Iran from blowing up the world? Zip, zilch, nada.

Kinda makes me want to say, screw you guys with your earthquake (typhoon, flood, hurricane, whatever the current disaster is), go F yourself and fix your own problem....

But then my conscience and generous nature kicks in. Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    I guess I am annoyed, but for maybe a different reason.

When tragedy strikes in the world, who is the first on the scene? Who gives aid and help without any regard for a payback? Who bails countries out of problems of their own making and asks nothing in return?

The U. S. of course.

What does it get us when we need a little help, maybe with a UN vote, or some assistance with the fight against idiot terrorists, or Somali pirates, or Keeping North Korea or Iran from blowing up the world? Zip, zilch, nada.

Kinda makes me want to say, screw you guys with your earthquake (typhoon, flood, hurricane, whatever the current disaster is), go F yourself and fix your own problem....

But then my conscience and generous nature kicks in. Oh, well.
    Not me.

What's going on in Haiti is an abstraction for most Americans, me included. We don't know these people, have never met them - and likely never will. They're in a foreign country, far away - yet we're all supposed to act as though someone we do know - a friend, a relative, a neighbor - is in trouble. And we're supposed to put the Haitians' needs ahead of our own.

It's disconnected and really weird.

I don't accept the idea of charity at gunpoint, period - but it's especially noxious when we're being threatened with guns to aid foreigners.

Haiti is a worthless sewer; it was before the quake and it will be long afterward. Write it off.

Staff
    I have no problem with individual contributions to the Red Cross or the numerous other relief organizations. I have a slight problem of our government taking our money and spending it on the relief efforts. The big problem is us giving out our money through the United Nations and the Haitian government, which steals money from the people and does nothing to create a system where people can prosper in the country.

Dbrong is absolutely correct in its assessment that our government is corrupt as hell. I believe that there needs to be a wholesale secession from the union.

I, too have been unemployed for a while and have never been able to save any real amount of money for my entire career due to the relatively high cost of housing throughout.

I feel for the Haitian people, and will help them nominally, but I just don't have a whole lot to help like I would if I were working. Thanks, Republicans and Democrats. You have ruined my country and my ability to help. I hope that you all rot at the side of the road. If you voted for Obama and McCain the last election, you are partly responsible for this crap.

Not me.

What's going on in Haiti is an abstraction for most Americans, me included. We don't know these people, have never met them - and likely never will. They're in a foreign country, far away - yet we're all supposed to act as though someone we do know - a friend, a relative, a neighbor - is in trouble. And we're supposed to put the Haitians' needs ahead of our own.

It's disconnected and really weird.

I don't accept the idea of charity at gunpoint, period - but it's especially noxious when we're being threatened with guns to aid foreigners.

Haiti is a worthless sewer; it was before the quake and it will be long afterward. Write it off.
    I guess my problems is, I hate to see suffering, anywhere.

But almost all of Haiti's problems are of their own making. If we put it back together just the way it was before the earthquake ( at a huge cost), it would still be a corrupt, ignorant, backwards sewer of a place, populated by ignorant, illiterate folks.

When I saw the attached picture, I am ashamed to admit that one of my first thoughts was, well they are better off dead. That many less mouths to feed, that many less people who suffer foolish governance that amounts to slavery, with no hope.

Attached Images Attached Images

But almost all of Haiti's problems are of their own making. If we put it back together just the way it was before the earthquake ( at a huge cost), it would still be a corrupt, ignorant, backwards sewer of a place, populated by ignorant, illiterate folks.

When I saw the attached picture, I am ashamed to admit that one of my first thoughts was, well they are better off dead. That many less mouths to feed, that many less people who suffer foolish governance that amounts to slavery, with no hope.

Exactly.

It's not just a misallocation of resources, it's a waste of resources. We're dealing with a population whose average IQ is in the low-mid 80s. It is unfixable - like trying to prop up a termite-eaten old shack. Better to just bulldoze the whole thing and try again...

Staff
    Exactly.

It's not just a misallocation of resources, it's a waste of resources. We're dealing with a population whose average IQ is in the low-mid 80s. It is unfixable - like trying to prop up a termite-eaten old shack. Better to just bulldoze the whole thing and try again...
    I agree with that statemet. I think that the government has a lot to do with the fact that the people have not been able to progress. I have read that link on the other site. I don't know what to think.

They are still human beings and still need some type of help. I think that we ought to bulldoze their government buildings and rebuild the rest of their housing... that is if we had money... which we don't.

Pretty much sums up my opinion on this.

I agree with you to though, Eric.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.