Thread: Door ajar light

Question Door ajar light

I've got a 1998 Ford Taurus. It's a pretty decent car but it has a lot of electrical gremlins. The wipers have never worked right. They work on high speed only most of the time. I've changed the switch out but they still act the same way. Every now and then they will operate on low speed and intermitant but usually not.

Recently however, the door ajar light satys on on the dash and the ointerior light remaions on as well as the key alert ringing when the door is shut and the key is in it. I suspect the switch in the door is going bad. It used to shut off after a bit but is now staying on longer and longer.

I have no idea where that puppy is. I have a manual somewhere but I've been cleaning house (I do that once a decade or so) and can't find it. Driving at night is getting difficult with the interior light on. Can anybody give me a clue on where this is and how to fix it?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I think the door ajar sensors are in the latches, not the door pillars.
    If a shot of WD-40 in every latch doesn't cure the problem, you may need a dealer's tools to tell you which of the sensors is causing the problem.

( That's what I had to do on a 2002 EB Explorer with the same symptoms, and more. )

Do what I do. REMOVE all lamp bulbs. That way the battery will not go kaput in case you accidentally leave the door, trunk, or hood open for any length of time, or OVERNIGHT !!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Driving at night is getting difficult with the interior light on. Can anybody give me a clue on where this is and how to fix it?
    You could consider wearing sunglasses (Sorry I just had to say that. Now I feel better.)

There have been times when a bad or broken ground will reek havoc with sensors and relays. With the dome light staying on, it could be in the panel light dimmer switch. I have noticed that a lot of these cars are now working various circuits off the grounds, which with these damn plastic dash boards. there are a lot of fail points under there. That could be a good start. One more thing, a Door is not a Jar, It's a Door......Sorry I couldn't help it....

I took the day off (I planned to start the paperwork for my passport, I forgot about MLK day) and stopped by the dealer. It's a $23 part and will take about 1 1/2 hours. It's been problematic since I got the car in May so I'll just pop the door apart and replace it. As for the lights running the battery down, Fords have a timer. After 45 minutes, the power will shut off until you restart the car.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.