Thread: Tank Sheets

Tank Sheets

I just found out today that vehicles from the 60's & atleast early 70's had something called a tank sheet attached to the gas tanks & it was like a build specification sheet that I assume is made from some sort of paper as it tends to get detoriated or tore up; however makes the vehicle worth more if it still has it (usually taken off though during restoration of the vehicle). My source for what I've found out is the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction. Can anyone fill me in on this, as I'm curious to know more about it, but even my father doesn't know anything about it.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    I just found out today that vehicles from the 60's & atleast early 70's had something called a tank sheet attached to the gas tanks & it was like a build specification sheet that I assume is made from some sort of paper as it tends to get detoriated or tore up; however makes the vehicle worth more if it still has it (usually taken off though during restoration of the vehicle). My source for what I've found out is the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction. Can anyone fill me in on this, as I'm curious to know more about it, but even my father doesn't know anything about it.
    Yes, that's true - though it was also sometimes found under the rear seat or some such.

And believe it or not they were just regular paper. I found my Trans-Am's. It lists all the stuff it was built with, by production code.

This was done so that the dealership knew what the car came with originally for service and warranty purposes, etc.

Thanks for the info Eric. What years did they do this from?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Thanks for the info Eric. What years did they do this from?
    It was routine in the '60s and '70s; not sure whether the practice was continued into the '80s (and today). I suspect not because with bar code technology, they can scan a strip and find out everything about the car without needing to use paper (or have to fish it out of some hard to find recess in the car).