Thread: Senseless killing

Senseless killing

A man under the influence allegedly ran over and killed a woman and injured a teenage girl at a McDonald's drive-through. The 20-year-old woman and 15-year-old girl confronted the driver for honking his horn at them as they got their food at the 24-hour drive-through.

The driver of the other vehicle, 36, was charged with first-degree attempted murder, murder in the second degree, driving under the influence, driving without a license, driving with a revoked license, failure to have no-fault insurance and having an open container.

The group received their food, drove to the parking lot and went to confront the man who was still in the drive -through. The man allegedly accelerated and struck the woman and girl, killing the woman.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    A man under the influence allegedly ran over and killed a woman and injured a teenage girl at a McDonald's drive-through. The 20-year-old woman and 15-year-old girl confronted the driver for honking his horn at them as they got their food at the 24-hour drive-through.

The driver of the other vehicle, 36, was charged with first-degree attempted murder, murder in the second degree, driving under the influence, driving without a license, driving with a revoked license, failure to have no-fault insurance and having an open container.

The group received their food, drove to the parking lot and went to confront the man who was still in the drive -through. The man allegedly accelerated and struck the woman and girl, killing the woman.
    Horrible.

And instructive.

A minor confrontation can escalate into homicidal violence if the other person is a sociopath who perceives any slight as an affront warranting a murderous response.

This is why I have a concealed weapons permit and never leave my house unarmed.

.... The 20-year-old woman and 15-year-old girl confronted the driver....

The group received their food, drove to the parking lot and went to confront the man who was still in the drive -through....
    While the fellow was completely at fault it was really stupid for the two girls to 'confront' him. Confronting an angry agressive person is not the thing to do. Best policy is to go on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    While the fellow was completely at fault it was really stupid for the two girls to 'confront' him. Confronting an angry agressive person is not the thing to do. Best policy is to go on your way.
    Absolutely.

It's not worth it.

I'm sorry this ended in a senseless death of this woman. We have the same mentality over this way as well. So it is not with one area of population. It is, unfortunately the way our Society is. I can see it getting worse before it starts to get better. Until some of these States pull their glorified heads out of their glorified asses, and put some meat back in their punishments, the ol' Redneck way of justice, just may prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM View Post
    I'm sorry this ended in a senseless death of this woman. We have the same mentality over this way as well. So it is not with one area of population. It is, unfortunately the way our Society is. I can see it getting worse before it starts to get better. Until some of these States pull their glorified heads out of their glorified asses, and put some meat back in their punishments, the ol' Redneck way of justice, just may prevail.
    You're exactly right - the problem is we have a society that does not appropriately (read: severely) punish people who are gratuitously violent - meaning, people who assault and threaten others with violence. There's no excuse for physical violence, ever - except in self-defense.

If the first offense were punished severely - mandatory prison time, victim compensation, 20 year felony record with 10 year loss of voting rights, lifetime loss of right to own a firearm, etc. - there would be a big drop in second offenses.

And in my world, a second offense would incur a mandatory minimum 20 years in prison.

Mind, this is just for physical assault. I would execute all convicted murderers, rapists and child molesters - and within three years at most of conviction.

Finis.

I have no moral or other problem with severe punishment for those who commit acts of gratuitous violence because it's both totally unjustified and clear evidence of brutality and even sociopathy.

We need to put such people away for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post

Actually, as the story goes, the 20-yr-old's boyfriend who was with them was the one who confronted the other driver. The woman wanted to just forget about the incident and be on their way home. She tried to intervene between her friend and the other driver who reportedly honked his horn at them to hurry up. She tried to persuade her friend to forget it and come back to the car. That is when the driver allegedly accelerated and hit the woman who was DOA at the hospital, the 15-yr-old escaped with minor injury, treated, then released. No injury to the boyfriend.

Actually, as the story goes, the 20-yr-old's boyfriend who was with them was the one who confronted the other driver. The woman wanted to just forget about the incident and be on their way home. She tried to intervene between her friend and the other driver who reportedly honked his horn at them to hurry up. She tried to persuade her friend to forget it and come back to the car. That is when the driver allegedly accelerated and hit the woman who was DOA at the hospital, the 15-yr-old escaped with minor injury, treated, then released. No injury to the boyfriend.
    Sounds about right.

20 year old guys are at the peak of aggressiveness and nadir of judgment and restraint. They have no concept of life's shortness nor of the idiocy of getting into a situation that could leave someone dead over some minor, meaningless incident.

Still, the fault is not the 20 year old's.

In a sane society, it ought to be possible to have a discussion with someone without it escalating beyond a fistfight (and even that is moronic).

My personal attitude is to practice avoidance, first and foremost. Do your absolute best to avoid confrontational situations with random strangers. You never know what you may be dealing with - and by the time you do, it may be too late.

Second, I keep a gun with me at all times - in case I am unlucky enough to find myself in a situation where avoiding a confrontation is impossible.

I hope to the Motor Gods I never find myself in a position that requires me to even display my firearm - but I refuse to be unprepared, in the event it becomes necessary.