Thread: Exotics/unusual cars you've driven?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Exotics/unusual cars you've driven?

Tim and others have owned way more cars than I have, but I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a lot of unusual machinery. Here's a partial list:

* Bentley Arnage R
    * Ferrari F430
    * Porsche 911 GT2
    * Mustang Cobra R
    * Corvette Gran Sport
    * Corvette Z06
    * Maserati Quattroporte
    * Lamborghini Countach
    * Jensen Interceptor III
    * DeTomaso Pantera
    * Sunbeam Alpine Tiger
    * AC Cobra 427 (repro)
    * Nextel Cup stock car
    * 1914 La France fire engine
    * BMW Z8
    * UAZ (Russian 4WD)
    * Unimog
    * Ram Air III Firebird Formula (1970)
    * Plymouth GTX 440 Magnum (1971)
    * Camaro Z28 L-82 (1974)
    * SS 396 Chevelle (1969)
    * 454 Corvette (1973)
    * Model T Ford
    * Model A Ford
    * Studebaker Hawk

And - though I didn't get to drive it, I did get to sit inside Elvis Presley's Stutz Blackhawk!

How about you?

Being a tea totaler, I've gotten to drive a bunch of neat iron because the owner wanted to drink and not worry about tickets. 1964 Bentley that was factory converted to a Rolls Royce. A 1974 (?) Ferrari GTB. Never got to take that one out of second gear, the owner was moving his cars because of divorce and he was a couple of weeks away from getting his license back, he lost it in that car. A corvette with about 50 miles on it, and the owner promplty threw up in it, and blamed me. I had a street legal tube frame dune buggy that would put the fear of God into you at speeds over 55. (The guy that bought it got the oscillation out and told me he hit 80 in it.) Had an old Nevada Highway Patrol car that would really scoot. The one I wish I had back was a 1975 Dodge Royal Monaco 2 door hardtop. It was a late '75 model and they only built that body style for about 5 months. 1976 were coupes and earlier ones were just plain Monacos, like the "Bluesmobile".
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Being a tea totaler, I've gotten to drive a bunch of neat iron because the owner wanted to drink and not worry about tickets. 1964 Bentley that was factory converted to a Rolls Royce. A 1974 (?) Ferrari GTB. Never got to take that one out of second gear, the owner was moving his cars because of divorce and he was a couple of weeks away from getting his license back, he lost it in that car. A corvette with about 50 miles on it, and the owner promplty threw up in it, and blamed me. I had a street legal tube frame dune buggy that would put the fear of God into you at speeds over 55. (The guy that bought it got the oscillation out and told me he hit 80 in it.) Had an old Nevada Highway Patrol car that would really scoot. The one I wish I had back was a 1975 Dodge Royal Monaco 2 door hardtop. It was a late '75 model and they only built that body style for about 5 months. 1976 were coupes and earlier ones were just plain Monacos, like the "Bluesmobile".
    A GTB is one of my "dream cars" - if I ever win the lottery!

On the cop car: I have heard that the early-mid '70s 440 Dodge/Plymouth full-size cop cars were the fastest (top speed) sedans ever used for law enforcement/traffic pursuit purposes - with a top speed pushing 150 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    A GTB is one of my "dream cars" - if I ever win the lottery!

On the cop car: I have heard that the early-mid '70s 440 Dodge/Plymouth full-size cop cars were the fastest (top speed) sedans ever used for law enforcement/traffic pursuit purposes - with a top speed pushing 150 mph!

I had a set of recaps on the car that I paid $40 for. At about 110-115 the tread came off the right front tire and knocked the right rear window out. I never got it over 125 and that was only once or twice. I had a '98 Crown Vic P71 a few years back that had the speed limiter set at 140. In '99 Ford cut that back to 130 as police departments were buying cheaper tires and the police were driving the tires off. The "Moonmobile" Caprices of the 90's didn't have a speed limiter and were capable of 160 with the corvette engines. I was driving the first of those and was enroute to a crash with fatalities and when I hit some rail road tracks (smooth with little roughness) at a good clip and the ABS brakes took a vacation. I had to slow with the parking brake until they came back. The '93's had better computers.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.