Thread: Life's a bitch.

Life's a bitch.

Man, life can be such a bitch at times and getting old don't help none!

Day before yesterday I was posting on one of my other forums - one of the posters was bemoaning the fact that he had just sent his photo-card licence off for renewal of the obligatory passport style photograph, and had it rejected as the photograph had no watermark on the back and therefore was not professionally taken. (This guy does all his own photograph work.)

In the back of my mind something clicked - I'm 76, that means my driving licence must be due for renewal. (Over 70 it has to be renewed every three years.) Dug out the licence and looked - Oops! - both licence and photograph expired simultaneously on 11-12-09. (Photo is valid for ten years.) Our licencing authority had not sent me a renewal pack, back last September, when they should have done and my aging grey cells had completely missed the fact.

Phoned the DVLA, explained the situation and asked for the renewal pack. Guy was very helpful, suggested that, rather than wait for the renewal package I applied using a Form D1 available at any Post Office. He also said that, I could renew my licence and the photograph on the licence free of charge - usually, for the over 70's the new licence is free but a photo renewal is 20 or roughly $30. Then, as an afterthought, he added 'By the way, I suppose you are aware that as you are no longer a licenced driver, you are not allowed to drive or ride a bike until you get your new licence which will be in ten to fifteen days after receipt of your application.'

Bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right! - can't drive, nearest photo shop for new photograph is in Horncastle, six miles away and the bus has already gone. Managed to get there, photo shop did a good job and turned me out a set of photos in half an hour. Picked up a D1 application form from the Post Office, went back home, filled in the forms, attached the new photo and dashed down to our local Post Office to send the paperwork off - 'Oh, sorry, we can't deal with that, we are having new equipment installed. We'll be open again later on.' Back home, stew for a couple of hours then back to send the paperwork off. Panic over, now all I have to do is sit tight and wait for my new licence crossing my fingers and hoping that the new one carries my bike entitlement. Quite a lot of bikers have found their bike entitlment missing when receiving new licences and many have had to retake the bike test in order to continue riding. One rider was actually a Police Motorcyclist who trained Police riders in advanced riding techniques and the DVLA still refused to accept that he had held a bike licence as it 'was not shown in their records.'

Like I said, life's a bitch at times.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-20-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

License - you don't need no stinkin' license.

Doesn't stop the Mexicans from driving.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    License - you don't need no stinkin' license.

Doesn't stop the Mexicans from driving.
    Too true, if I was a black, one eyed, one legged, homosexual with AIDS and eight kids by seven different women I'd be untouchable.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Too true, if I was a black, one eyed, one legged, homosexual with AIDS and eight kids by seven different women I'd be untouchable.

Ken.
    Eight days without driving - and still counting. Have split the weekly shop into two parts - did half today and will do the other half tomorrow. Carrying five or six loaded bags about half a mile is not much fun, at least I remembered to take some gloves to give my fingers a bit of protection. Luckily, today, it was not raining when I went out, tomorrow looks a lot wetter though. Hey-Ho, DVLA say don't bother ringing to chase a licence up until three weeks has passed - I remain optimistic though, my neighbour got her licence back in five days, I've already been eight days so it could be on its way already. I shall offer up a little prayer to the Invisible Pink Unicorn (may her tiny hooves be thrice blessed).

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Eight days without driving - and still counting. Have split the weekly shop into two parts - did half today and will do the other half tomorrow. Carrying five or six loaded bags about half a mile is not much fun, at least I remembered to take some gloves to give my fingers a bit of protection. Luckily, today, it was not raining when I went out, tomorrow looks a lot wetter though. Hey-Ho, DVLA say don't bother ringing to chase a licence up until three weeks has passed - I remain optimistic though, my neighbour got her licence back in five days, I've already been eight days so it could be on its way already. I shall offer up a little prayer to the Invisible Pink Unicorn (may her tiny hooves be thrice blessed).

Ken.
    Ah feeeeel your pain! (As Clintigula used to say.) I think I'd just drive "commando" anyhow and count on not getting caught. Since I got my V1 radar detector, I have had zero interactions with The Man.

Texas mails you your new license, so they give you a piece of paper to use as a temporary license until it arrives. Has your photo printed on it.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Texas mails you your new license, so they give you a piece of paper to use as a temporary license until it arrives. Has your photo printed on it.

Chip H.
    Now that sounds like organisation - a word that our New Labour government organisations and sub-divisions have never heard of. Maybe I tell a lie, they probably have heard of it but don't know what it means and probably couldn't spell it anyway.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

2nd rule of a bureaucracy: Rules are made for their convenience, not yours.

Which is why Texas (and North Carolina) now mail out licenses. It seems that bad guys were breaking into the Department of Motor Vehicle offices and stealing the blanks, along with the special printer. So rather than buy safes to store the high-theft items in after 5pm, they centralized the process. And then told the citizens it was to prevent identity theft.

(most identity theft occurs from stolen mail)

Chip H.
    Last edited by chiph; 02-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.