Thread: Idaho county says No! to smog testing

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Idaho county says No! to smog testing

Canyon County Commissioners are furious with the Department of Environmental Quality's plan for vehicle emission testing. They're questioning what the DEQ will do with about $750-thousand dollars they would generate from the testing.

Canyon County Commissioners said they are planning on an act of "civil disobedience," which means they will not test 200 of their vehicles. They said they are hoping this act will show the DEQ how they are strongly against the vehicle emission testing program.

"Canyon County tried to negotiate that with the DEQ and I feel like we were stiffed armed," said Canyon County Commissioner Steve Rule.

The DEQ's emission testing program will charge motorists no more than $11-dollars every other year and $3-dollars will go directly to the DEQ.

The DEQ said that money will be used for an Air Quality Education fund. But Commissioners said that money should help motorists who can't afford to fix their cars to pass the emissions test.

"Something doesn't smell right here and I guarantee it's not the air in Canyon County," said Rule.

The DEQ said they have met with commissioners multiple times in the past 5 months. The DEQ said they are following state law with their emission program.

"If we don't do anything proactively we may exceed that federal standard that means people are breathing unhealthy air," said the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality spokesman Pete Wagner.

Commissioners said they are not against air quality efforts they just want to be included and want to see the evidence behind the DEQ's work.

"We want the science that we haven't received showing that this is beneficial and it'll make a change in air quality," said Canyon County Commissioner Kathy Alder.

But the DEQ said they have shown the commissioners their data and explained why the program is necessary.

"We have air quality monitors out in the Valley and we measure ozone concentration and report the data," said Wagner.

The emission program is still set to start on June 1st. Motorists will be notified in the mail of their testing month.

Under state law anyone who does not get their vehicles tested the Idaho Department of Transportation will revoke their registration.

Emissions testing sucks, luckily in my county we don't have it yet, but I think that the population is high enough now that it may be mandated after the next census. I think older diesels are exempt, but I don't know if my Jetta will be required to undergo the test.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Emissions testing sucks, luckily in my county we don't have it yet, but I think that the population is high enough now that it may be mandated after the next census. I think older diesels are exempt, but I don't know if my Jetta will be required to undergo the test.
    We don't have smog here, either. Yet.

One could make a case for smog check 20 or 30 years ago, when vehicle emissions systems were crude and unreliable and tampering was common. Today's systems are integrated completely with the engine and work with incredible reliability. Few people tamper with modern emissions equipment; most of the time you end up making the car run worse (unlike the past, when gutting the smog stuff gave you better drivability, power and even fuel economy).

It's now just another tax-by-other-means...

This is Idaho.
    How many cars are there that they would be in danger of violating the Clean Air act?

Manhattan, yes. WideSpotInTheRoad Idaho??

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    This is Idaho.
    How many cars are there that they would be in danger of violating the Clean Air act?

Manhattan, yes. WideSpotInTheRoad Idaho??

Chip H.
    Probably a bunch, all the older "farmers" vehicles, but violating vehicle per square mile is way less than Manhattan or LA.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Probably a bunch, all the older "farmers" vehicles, but violating vehicle per square mile is way less than Manhattan or LA.
    Next they'll be coming after my diesel tractor.... no urea injection, no particulate filter!