Thread: Big Box Window Maggots

Big Box Window Maggots

I'm remodeling a large down stairs room and a bath. I want to install a egress window in the extra room. I have the specs, know the min width, height, open area.

I have a stone home, and the window I want to replace is 44 wide x 52 high.

I spent 2 1/2 hrs at Home Depot and another local big box store. All I can say is these people are idiots. The guy at HD kept asking me for the size of the window (I wrote it down, it laid in front of him). Kept getting the width and height confused. Couldn't use the software. Everytime we tried to build a new window, he would ask me the same questions: what hardware do you want? Do you want....... Like 20 questions. After 1 1/2 hrs I gave up and went to the local big box.

Another fellow wanted to sell me a window with a nailer - I told him I have a stone home - didn't seem to register. I asked him how do you install the window in a brick / stone opening - he didn't know.

They have run all the small, local lumber companies out of business.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I'm remodeling a large down stairs room and a bath. I want to install a egress window in the extra room. I have the specs, know the min width, height, open area.

I have a stone home, and the window I want to replace is 44 wide x 52 high.

I spent 2 1/2 hrs at Home Depot and another local big box store. All I can say is these people are idiots. The guy at HD kept asking me for the size of the window (I wrote it down, it laid in front of him). Kept getting the width and height confused. Couldn't use the software. Everytime we tried to build a new window, he would ask me the same questions: what hardware do you want? Do you want....... Like 20 questions. After 1 1/2 hrs I gave up and went to the local big box.

Another fellow wanted to sell me a window with a nailer - I told him I have a stone home - didn't seem to register. I asked him how do you install the window in a brick / stone opening - he didn't know.

They have run all the small, local lumber companies out of business.

I've experienced the same deal. Here's a recommendation: Go with Andersen. They are expensive but worth every penny. Not only the windows, but the way they sell/service them. They only sell through authorized dealers, which means they have people on site who understand how to take measurements (or Andersen will send someone to your place to take the measurements and it'll be be done right).

We have Andersen casement windows throughout our house. I am finishing the basement and had 5 custom-made to fit the block/brick wall openings. Perfect.

These windows will last 50 years, by the way. And you can always get parts for the older ones directly through Andersen, just by giving them the numbers on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I've experienced the same deal. Here's a recommendation: Go with Andersen. They are expensive but worth every penny. Not only the windows, but the way they sell/service them. They only sell through authorized dealers, which means they have people on site who understand how to take measurements (or Andersen will send someone to your place to take the measurements and it'll be be done right).

We have Andersen casement windows throughout our house. I am finishing the basement and had 5 custom-made to fit the block/brick wall openings. Perfect.

These windows will last 50 years, by the way. And you can always get parts for the older ones directly through Andersen, just by giving them the numbers on the glass.
    I traveled 10 miles out of the metro area. Found an Andersen dealer.

After 15 minutes of discussion - the guy took apart the floor sample - showed me how to install a window in a 1950's stone home (14" walls).

It was what I wanted to know. Ordered the window - $449 - cheaper than the sh1t at HD where they didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I traveled 10 miles out of the metro area. Found an Andersen dealer.

After 15 minutes of discussion - the guy took apart the floor sample - showed me how to install a window in a 1950's stone home (14" walls).

It was what I wanted to know. Ordered the window - $449 - cheaper than the sh1t at HD where they didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground!
    I'm glad it worked out!

I think you'll be pleased with these units. And not just that. If you ever need, say, a new screen or crank handle or some small part - even years from now - they'll be able to get it for you. Their support for their products is top shelf.