Thread: Determining Keyless Entry

Determining Keyless Entry

I'm wondering if my '96 F-150 has keyless remote entry since it has every other feature, however it did not come with any remotes; so i'm not sure if someone lost the remotes or if it don't have it. I asked the dealer but they said the only way to tell on a '96 is to take the steering column apart & they want $100 just to do that to see if it even has keyless entry. Does anybody know of a cheap way of determing if I have keyless entry or not?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

There's a procedure for matching remotes to the master, described in your owners manual.
    E.g. switching the ignition off and on 6 times and then pressing the remote. During that process, the master will acknowledge the transaction with the remote by, e.g. locking and unlocking the doors.
    So borrow a remote from a similar vehicle and try to match it. No response means no master is present.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    I'm wondering if my '96 F-150 has keyless remote entry since it has every other feature, however it did not come with any remotes; so i'm not sure if someone lost the remotes or if it don't have it. I asked the dealer but they said the only way to tell on a '96 is to take the steering column apart & they want $100 just to do that to see if it even has keyless entry. Does anybody know of a cheap way of determing if I have keyless entry or not?

Do you have the buttons on the door to avoid using the key? If you do, then you probably have it. If not, that may be one option that wasn't ordered.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    There's a procedure for matching remotes to the master, described in your owners manual.
    E.g. switching the ignition off and on 6 times and then pressing the remote. During that process, the master will acknowledge the transaction with the remote by, e.g. locking and unlocking the doors.
    So borrow a remote from a similar vehicle and try to match it. No response means no master is present.
    No I ddon't have keyless entry on the door; and after trying Mike's method, and some research online I found out the keyless entry remote for my '97 Explorer is the same remote for the '96 F-150, and programming them are done the same, so I tried programming one of my remotes for the F-150 & was unable to do it. So I believe I can safely rule that keyless entry is the one option not ordered on that truck. No problem, I was just wondering. Thanks for the feedback as always.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel