Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying crap they put in cars...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Annoying crap they put in cars...

Here's a partial list:

* "Belt minder" buzzers (Fuck off; I'll wear my belt when and if I want to). To defeat: Find and smash the buzzer or just buckle the seat belt before you sit down in the seat and sit down on top of it. Screw The Man!

* Automatically locking doors (God-damn it's annoying to go to open the back door to get something out only to discover the car locked the doors for saaaaaaaaaaaaaafety.)

* Keyless ignition (Just what bankrupt America needs: $300 electronic key fobs in place of a $5 metal ignition key.)

* Headlights that are always on (DRLs. Idiocy. Creates glare; makes it harder to pick out motorcycles and emergency vehicles; also burns more fuel and requires more current - which means more expensive alternators, shorter battery life.)

* Speed limiters. (Bad enough the government tries to force us to do drive "x" speed and no faster. For the automakers to program their cars to not exceed "x" is vile beyond description.)

* "Belt minder" buzzers (Fuck off; I'll wear my belt when and if I want to). To defeat: Find and smash the buzzer or just buckle the seat belt before you sit down in the seat and sit down on top of it. Screw The Man!
    Another solution, rather than sit on the belt you can go to the junk yard and find a similar model vehicle. Then just cut off the female end of the latch and put it in your pocket.
    DRLs
    The only good thing I see in these is inclement weather. Soooooo many stupid idiots driving with their headlights off during snow squall, rain storm, or just generally overcast day. Especially since now in PA it's wipers on = headlights on.

"Another solution, rather than sit on the belt you can go to the junk yard and find a similar model vehicle. Then just cut off the female end of the latch and put it in your pocket. "

Excellent!

My automatic door locks can be adjusted any number of ways from fully auto to OFF. I have it set to lock when I put it in gear and unlock when in Park.

I also have the "DRL" daytime running lights. Supposedly they cut down on daytime accidents. I don't know, but I just let them work.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post

Then just cut off the female end of the latch and put it in your pocket.
    Um!, I know my biology isn't what it used to be - and my memory is even worse - but wouldn't it be the 'Male' bit to cut off (Or 'Bobbit') and plug into the female socket by the seat?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post

I also have the "DRL" daytime running lights. Supposedly they cut down on daytime accidents. I don't know, but I just let them work.
    DRLs have removed one of the biggest safety factors bikers have/had. Why anyone would want to have lights on a bloody great car in broad daylight completely baffles me. Here in rural Lincolnshire we have idiots running on full beam, sometimes with foglights on, even with visibility of three miles or more.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Before ya'll even tell me, I know my car is a POS. Anyhow, I don't think you guys mentioned the automatic fucking seat belts, although short lived I have a car with them.

I can't even tell you how many times I choked myself by starting the car leaning in through the window after I do an oil change.

I think without a doubt this might be the worst addition to a car, ever!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    DRLs have removed one of the biggest safety factors bikers have/had. Why anyone would want to have lights on a bloody great car in broad daylight completely baffles me. Here in rural Lincolnshire we have idiots running on full beam, sometimes with foglights on, even with visibility of three miles or more.

Ken.
    Here also.

As a rider old enough to remember the pre-DRL world I, like you hate these things. Before DRLs, it was much easier to notice a bike in traffic (or an emergency vehicle). Now, both just blend into the scenery.

This makes riding (and driving) less safe, not more.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Before ya'll even tell me, I know my car is a POS. Anyhow, I don't think you guys mentioned the automatic fucking seat belts, although short lived I have a car with them.

I can't even tell you how many times I choked myself by starting the car leaning in through the window after I do an oil change.

Two words:

Razor

blade....

But then I lose the seat belt!

-Mussolini

But then I lose the seat belt!
    Seatbelts? We don't need no stinkin' seatbelts!

I never wear one.

On principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Um!, I know my biology isn't what it used to be - and my memory is even worse - but wouldn't it be the 'Male' bit to cut off (Or 'Bobbit') and plug into the female socket by the seat?

Ken.
    Yup better cut the male end off instead, the female end ain't worth nothin'.

Seatbelts? We don't need no stinkin' seatbelts!

I never wear one.

On principle.
    Exactly, but now with seatbelt laws you can't go far without a seatbelt on, or risk getting a ticket. If there wasn't a law forcing me I wouldn't wear one, except maybe in heavy traffic.
    Last edited by dieseleverything; 03-02-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Yup better cut the male end off instead, the female end ain't worth nothin'.

Exactly, but now with seatbelt laws you can't go far without a seatbelt on, or risk getting a ticket. If there wasn't a law forcing me I wouldn't wear one, except maybe in heavy traffic.
    Some states - like VA - have a medical exemption.

I got one. Just check out Dr. Buckleoff!

http://www.buckleoff.com/faq.php?referrer=

This shet valid? Tried and tested by E-Roc?

-Mussolini

This shet valid? Tried and tested by E-Roc?
    It is indeed; I have my card in my wallet.

Old football injury, you know... limited use of my shoulder.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning something about your rotator cuff back when I injured mine in karate..

-Mussolini

Yeah, I remember you mentioning something about your rotator cuff back when I injured mine in karate..
    So far, I haven't had occasion to present my "get out of a seatbelt ticket" card; one of the perks of living in a rural area is there's virtually no seatbelt enforcement, as far as I can tell.

Still, it's good to have.

Seatbelt laws piss me off. The idea of being pulled over for something like this is like being 10 years old again and being forced to eat your broccoli.

So nice to live in a "free" country, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Some states - like VA - have a medical exemption.

I got one. Just check out Dr. Buckleoff!

http://www.buckleoff.com/faq.php?referrer=
    Just now placed my own order. The crip plate on my buggy should help with the credibility. Also, I did answer all questions honestly.

Big Brother can go pound sand.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelKnightCSA View Post
    Just now placed my own order. The crip plate on my buggy should help with the credibility. Also, I did answer all questions honestly.

Big Brother can go pound sand.
    Excellent!

Another way to get around this crap, if you're really motivated, is to buy an old car that was built before seat belts were mandatory. It is still perfectly legal to ride/drive unbuckled for saaaaaaaaaaaaafety in such a car and they can't (yet) require the car to be "updated." So long as it has everything that was required the year it was built, you are ok.

]

Yeah My Jaguar has that. I hate it. To make it worse, it also has a regular lap belt, so the shoulder belt is automatic and you still have to buckle up the other one.