Thread: Getting ready....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Getting ready....

It is important to regularly acquire survival gear, food, and training. Even just ten or twenty dollars a week and one weekend a month will go far over the course of several years in the purchase of food, clothing, self defense items, and training.

The most important considerations are to:

Regularly add to your emergency preparedness stores so that over time you accumulate a significant amount.

Keep your emergency preparedness stores up to date and viable.

Train yourself in the proper use of your gear.

Acquire knowledge and experience in the survival arts.

When acquiring survival items you should consider:

Will the item serve a real need in a survival or emergency situation?
    Do you have the ability to use the item? Perhaps its full and proper use will require training. For example, if you have not trained to use a map and compass it may be of little use when you are lost in the wilderness.

If the item should break down can you repair it with the means you have available? Often simpler is better - an axe will always work, but a chainsaw may not.

Does the item require something in order to function? Gas, electricity, oil, warm weather and many other things may be in short supply during disasters, emergencies, and survival situations.

How much of the item may you need? For how long are you going to need it? For example, I recommend at least 1-gallon of clean water per day per person. That means a month’s supply of water for drinking and cooking for a family of four is 120-gallons.

Is the item practical for the conditions you are likely to encounter? Take into consideration climate, surrounding environment (jungle, desert, cold region, urban, etc). For example, in arid regions you may not need snorkeling gear but along the coast or near bodies of fresh water a divers mask could help you acquire and abundance of wild foodstuffs. Winter survival takes specialized gear and knowledge.

If you are forced to move on can you easily bring the item with you?

bviously you cannot carry on foot 120-gallons of water. But you can bring with you the means to disinfect water for your needs. Some items, such as food, may need to be rotated so that your stock remains fresh. This will also have the effect of reducing your survival budget since you have to eat anyway.

Once your initial stocks of survival preparedness food have been laid in, you only need to replace that which you rotate out and use. For example, you can purchase large sacks of rice for your emergency food cache. As you use up a sack of rice over the course of your regular pre-disaster meals, replenish your stock. Continue to draw from the older food items, replacing them as they are consumed. In this way the food in your survival cache remains viable at all times and your food budget does not increase.

As discussed above, it is important to set aside funds for the regular acquisition of survival supplies and training. The requirements for full emergency preparedness may seem large when just beginning, but a series of baby steps will eventually produce large results. You need to do this for yourself and your family, so if you haven’t already then start now.

I'm stockin' up, I just need a diesel generator not a gasoline one. I have a 250 gal tank of HHO that I use during the summer for hot water. I could also run my Mercedes on the HHO. The gen would also take care of my water (well). I got my pantry full of canned crap.

I would say many people that: are just used to going to the supermarket for food, have never camped out, can't walk more than a half mile, don't know how to use any hand tools, and expect the government to help them, will be up shit creek without a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    I'm stockin' up, I just need a diesel generator not a gasoline one. I have a 250 gal tank of HHO that I use during the summer for hot water. I could also run my Mercedes on the HHO. The gen would also take care of my water (well). I got my pantry full of canned crap.

I would say many people that: are just used to going to the supermarket for food, have never camped out, can't walk more than a half mile, don't know how to use any hand tools, and expect the government to help them, will be up shit creek without a paddle.
    I think they'll be dead, quickly.

Add to the list: Reasonably proficient with firearms and in possession of at least one good hunting rife, one high-capacity/riot shotgun and one handgun of at least .38 caliber - along with several hundred rounds of ammunition for each piece, minimum.

And don't forget enough silver/other metals to barter with for awhile.

And don't forget enough silver/other metals to barter with for awhile.
    I'm not so sure about that. I realize it's conventional wisdom, but what intrinsic value does silver (or gold) have? In other words, what can you do with it?

It may make better sense to convert your essentially value-less paper money into fungible items of real value that can be bartered. For example, large quantities of ammunition in popular calibers. Ammo is useful. People literally may need it to survive/defend themselves. Of what use is silver to anyone in a breakdown-of-society (and the monetary system) situation? Silver and gold are just shiny metals, with very few practical uses.

I think eventually some sense of order would happen, and ammo would not be needed for years at a time. I don't want to buy thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of ammo, especially if such a terrible collapse never happens. Then I'd be stuck with a shit load of ammo, and so would everyone else, so ammo would be cheap. Some ammo may be good, but places like Wal-Mart will still exist (unless they are looted a good possibility), so they won't want ammo, they have no use for it.

I think eventually some sense of order would happen, and ammo would not be needed for years at a time. I don't want to buy thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of ammo, especially if such a terrible collapse never happens. Then I'd be stuck with a shit load of ammo, and so would everyone else, so ammo would be cheap. Some ammo may be good, but places like Wal-Mart will still exist (unless they are looted a good possibility), so they won't want ammo, they have no use for it.
    I wouldn't sink all my cash into ammo; I'd also (and have/do) buy other items of tangible value/usefulness such as land, equipment and so on that could easily be converted back into cash (whatever that currency happens to be) whenever needed, without worrying about losing everything - as can easily happen with paper money.

Also: Ammo's like guns. Both hold their value remarkably well. Much better than dollars. You might not get exactly what you paid, but you will almost always get 80-plus percent back, if you need to convert either to cash - provided the gun/ammo is in good condition.

If I had stockpiled .380 Auto a few years ago, I would have made a killing last summer -- there were nationwide shortages of that caliber.

Ammo is better than cigarettes, as it has a much longer shelf-life.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    If I had stockpiled .380 Auto a few years ago, I would have made a killing last summer -- there were nationwide shortages of that caliber.

Ammo is better than cigarettes, as it has a much longer shelf-life.

Chip H.
    Yep - a box (if you can find one) of high-quality personal protection ammo has increased in price by 30-40 percent.

Show me another "investment" that's done as well recently!