Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 70 mph in IL?

  1. #1
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    70 mph in IL?

    A proposal to raise the speed limit to 70 mph passed a Senate panel in a 7-5 vote. Fate in the House is uncertain because of its more urban concentration, although, overall it is good news. Illinois hasn't seen a 70 mph limit since 1973.

    Here is an article on the topic.

    http://www.galesburg.com/newsnow/x20...se-speed-limit

  2. #2
    No — worse mileage, more danger
    My first question is who is behind this measure? I doubt that drivers are lobbying our state lawmakers for another 5 mph. More likely it’s about the trucking industry wanting to move more quickly through our rural downstate (the law won’t apply in Chicago and surrounding suburbs).

    We just boosted the speed for trailer trucks to 65 mph. I’m not anti-business, but I don’t think trucks need to drive any faster. I think everyone is already driving fast enough.
    Always finding a way to blame it on the truckers, all the anti-truck nuts don't realize that most fleet trucks have speed limiters set to usually no more than 70MPH. So by raising the speed limit to 70 does it does truckers no good.

    I see no need why they couldn't raise the speed limits to 80MPH on sections of road deemed safe enough. I understand that in certian sections of high traffic highways or highways with a significant amount of curves this could not happen, but it works in Texas.

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,894
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    A proposal to raise the speed limit to 70 mph passed a Senate panel in a 7-5 vote. Fate in the House is uncertain because of its more urban concentration, although, overall it is good news. Illinois hasn't seen a 70 mph limit since 1973.

    Here is an article on the topic.

    http://www.galesburg.com/newsnow/x20...se-speed-limit
    I wish them well and hope it passes but from what I hear, IL is so corrupt that I doubt it will. Too much "revenue" would be lost....

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    Illinois is one of those states where one mega city dominates the state legislature.
    Georgia is another one.

    "We don't need faster speed limits!"
    (thinking only of Chicago and ignoring the rest of the state)

    Chip H.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago vicinity
    Posts
    549
    Well driving on the Dan Ryan after it was widen and reconstructed I don't care what the speed limit says. If your not going at least 65 mph your going to get reamed. Man,in my next lifetime I'm getting a car with some rip to it. My Honda is good for gas but not driving fast.

  6. #6
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I wish them well and hope it passes but from what I hear, IL is so corrupt that I doubt it will. Too much "revenue" would be lost....

    The Sheriff in a southern Illinois county is in jail, while still in office, and charged with drug dealing, extortion, attempted murder, carrying a firearm while selling drugs and so forth. His wife and son are in jail too. It looks like his house may be siezed as a result of drug profits.

    I'll be glad to see the 70 mpg speed limit. When I head west on I-64, I have to remember to cut the speed back as Indiana is 70 mph all the way across the state except for a section near New Albany/Louisville. There it drops to 55.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  7. #7
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,894
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    The Sheriff in a southern Illinois county is in jail, while still in office, and charged with drug dealing, extortion, attempted murder, carrying a firearm while selling drugs and so forth. His wife and son are in jail too. It looks like his house may be siezed as a result of drug profits.

    I'll be glad to see the 70 mpg speed limit. When I head west on I-64, I have to remember to cut the speed back as Indiana is 70 mph all the way across the state except for a section near New Albany/Louisville. There it drops to 55.
    Remember when we used to be able to make fun of "Third World" countries like Mexico?

  8. #8
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Illinois is one of those states where one mega city dominates the state legislature.
    Georgia is another one.

    "We don't need faster speed limits!"
    (thinking only of Chicago and ignoring the rest of the state)

    Chip H.
    That is absolutely true. I am not sure about how this is going to turn out. I am not surprised it passed a Senate panel. Going through the house, which has many more city representatives, is going to be a tougher run.

    I think that this is the first time a 70 mph speed limit for IL has been proposed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    That is absolutely true. I am not sure about how this is going to turn out. I am not surprised it passed a Senate panel. Going through the house, which has many more city representatives, is going to be a tougher run.

    I think that this is the first time a 70 mph speed limit for IL has been proposed.
    Our government is sadly broken. Looks like one of the biggest things they have ever considered in IL is to raise the interstate speedlimit.

  10. #10
    Bet you'll get it to pass if someone attaches a rider authorizing a statewide scamera program a la Arizona. The leftists running Chicago would probably drool uncontrollably at the thought of such a fantastic revenue stream to fill up the trough with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •