Thread: Driver's who don't know the function of the ignition switch

Driver's who don't know the function of the ignition switch

I just saw another "out of control Prius" story on Fox news.

This old bastard driving the Prius told reporters he was going 95 miles an hour. The State Trooper used his PA system to tell him to turn off the car. This guy was an experienced driver - should have had enough on the ball to know this.

These idiots want to make phone calls, text, eat lunch, play CD's, and drink coffee while driving. But they don't think of turning off the ignition?

Our country is in trouble!

I saw that story too. It seemed like he was lying/making stuff up. He said "I pushed on the pedals...no wait! I mean the brake pedal" He said he pushed on the E-brake as hard as he could, there is no way he did that at 95 MPH, he would have locked the rear wheels and spun out of control. Was he not smart enough to put in neutral? It's a set-up. I think it's just some old fuck trying to recover his retirement by suing Toyota.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post

This old bastard driving the Prius told reporters he was going 95 miles an hour. The State Trooper used his PA system to tell him to turn off the car. This guy was an experienced driver - should have had enough on the ball to know this.

These idiots want to make phone calls, text, eat lunch, play CD's, and drink coffee while driving. But they don't think of turning off the ignition?

Yep.

Plus, I'll tell you a fact: The Prius is barely able to do 100 mph, all out, under ideal conditions. I know this from personal experience. Floor it and keep it floored and assuming a level road you will eventually get into the 90s... but it takes a long time.

The radio played the 911 call this morning.
    The guy was freaking out -- both crying and cursing at the same time. If the highway patrolman hadn't come up alongside him, he would have gone into total panic mode (brain shutdown, etc) and likely crashed.

The problem as I see it is twofold:

1. People are not being trained well enough these days in Driver's Ed classes.

2. The cars are too good. People do not have the experience they need in dealing with a recalcitrant car as they used to (1970-90's US domestic, any year British car)

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    The radio played the 911 call this morning.
    The guy was freaking out -- both crying and cursing at the same time. If the highway patrolman hadn't come up alongside him, he would have gone into total panic mode (brain shutdown, etc) and likely crashed.

The problem as I see it is twofold:

1. People are not being trained well enough these days in Driver's Ed classes.

2. The cars are too good. People do not have the experience they need in dealing with a recalcitrant car as they used to (1970-90's US domestic, any year British car)

Chip H.
    Agreed - but I saw this guy on TV and he has to be in his 60s at least - so he grew up with "balky" cars and surely had to know (or could reason it out) that by putting the car in neutral, the situation's defused...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Agreed - but I saw this guy on TV and he has to be in his 60s at least - so he grew up with "balky" cars and surely had to know (or could reason it out) that by putting the car in neutral, the situation's defused...
    Putting it in neutral probably "slipped his mind" AKA he left it in gear for a few miles to get the car to tremendous speed (for a Prius) and then put on a good sob story.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Putting it in neutral probably "slipped his mind" AKA he left it in gear for a few miles to get the car to tremendous speed (for a Prius) and then put on a good sob story.
    I smell a rat, too.

That bastard may be looking for a Toyota-financed payday....

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    I wondered about that too. What does the ignition switch go to in the Prius? Is it possible for it to NOT work during a computer crash?

I have had electronic gadgets crash in ways that would not turn off. For an example, I recently had a GPS that would not turn off, the batteries had to be removed to reboot.

I made the assumption that he did try to turn off the ignition and nothing happened.

-Don- Reno, NV

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post

The Prius has push-button/keyless ignition and these systems won't turnoff the the engine if the car is moving, unlike the old mechanical keys that would.

But the more sensible thing to do is to put the car in neutral,which he could have done. Then the unwanted acceleration" would stop, but he'd still have power steering and brakes.

The Prius has push-button/keyless ignition and these systems won't turnoff the the engine if the car is moving, unlike the old mechanical keys that would.

But the more sensible thing to do is to put the car in neutral,which he could have done. Then the unwanted acceleration" would stop, but he'd still have power steering and brakes.

Are you 100% sure that the car can be shifted into neutral when going 90 MPH? The more I hear about how some of the hybrids are designed, it's just asking for such occasional trouble. I might even be a bit technophobic when it comes to hybrids. So I won't make any judgments until I know more about the car's design as well as the driver.

To have the accelerator pedal go to a computer only to control the vehicle speed is a very STUPID design, IMAO!

At least until they make the computer 100% crash and failure proof.

So let's not be too fast to judge the driver. I am not convinced either way about what really happened, but the design is STUPID when it comes to safety.

Even the fact that you cannot turn off the ignition when going 90 MPH is a stupid design, IMAO.

-Don- SSF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post

Are you 100% sure that the car can be shifted into neutral when going 90 MPH? The more I hear about how some of the hybrids are designed, it's just asking for such occasional trouble. I might even be a bit technophobic when it comes to hybrids. So I won't make any judgments until I know more about the car's design as well as the driver.

To have the accelerator pedal go to a computer only to control the vehicle speed is a very STUPID design, IMAO!

At least until they make the computer 100% crash and failure proof.

So let's not be too fast to judge the driver. I am not convinced either way about what really happened, but the design is STUPID when it comes to safety.

Even the fact that you cannot turn off the ignition when going 90 MPH is a stupid design, IMAO.

-Don- SSF, CA

I'm not 100 percent sure. I do know the gear selector is also drive-by-wire in the Prius, so there may indeed be some built-in "feature" that prevents the transmission from being put into neutral while the car is moving. I don't think so, but I can't say for sure.

I think cars with keyless/pushbutton start ought to have a "kill" switch, just like all motorcycles do.

I think cars with keyless/pushbutton start ought to have a "kill" switch, just like all motorcycles do.

Great idea! But it will have to work on electric too. And have NO computers involved, other than turning off all power to them!

-Don-

Great idea! But it will have to work on electric too. And have NO computers involved, other than turning off all power to them!

-Don-
    Yep -

The irony is that this would be a real "safety" feature, yet no cars have it....

Yep -

The irony is that this would be a real "safety" feature, yet no cars have it....
    I'm for the opposite. How about a 'Battle Short' button.

Bypasses all warning systems, interlocks, circuit breakers, over temp, etc

The news said the car can be shifted to neutral and the cop told him such.

BTW, to find a road where one can go 95MPH in the San Diego area, I think would take some planning on the time and area.

The more I hear about this case, the more I believe there was nothing wrong with the car and the driver is the only real problem.

BTW, is it true that every car sold in the USA has brakes that is more powerful than the engine? That's what I heard on the news. I think they mean even if you floor it, you can still stop any car with stock brakes in normal condition. I assume the stopping distance will be quite a bit longer than usual.

-Don- SF, CA

From what I heard on the news, in a Prius if you step on the brakes it stops the engine in regenerative braking. The police officer reported that this guy was making movements that looked like he was pushing hard on the brakes. The guy is a fraud.

I assume the stopping distance will be quite a bit longer than usual.
    In a magazine I was reading the other month they did a test......here is the chart I found. Stopping distances are not that much longer than usual.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...ng-results.jpg

[SIZE=4]
    BTW, is it true that every car sold in the USA has brakes that is more powerful than the engine? That's what I heard on the news. I think they mean even if you floor it, you can still stop any car with stock brakes in normal condition. I assume the stopping distance will be quite a bit longer than usual.
    This is true for most passenger cars.
    Might not be true for something like a Dodge Viper ACR (which doesn't really have any electronics, anyway)

Chip H.