Thread: McDonald's yesterday vs. today

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

McDonald's yesterday vs. today

That was before eat in and drive-thrus. Where you got a reasonable meal with real ingredients. Now its just over-processed fat, and a rude over-weight guy that you can't understand behind the counter. Ahhh the good old days.

"Over 3 Billion Served"

Here is a good one, before McDonalds was preaching diversity. There are only white actors in this commercial. And imagine what would happen today if some guy from the neighborhood rounded up all the kids in his car and took them to McDonalds, he would probably go to jail! Such simple times back then.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qMx...eature=related

Staff
    Disgusting. I'm not buying. Can't stand the place.

I am not for bigger government by any means and hate the food fascists in DC like the FDA, but I wouldn't be heartbroken to see every fast food chain shut its doors.

I think that additives and sweeteners like High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is in about everything we buy, should be banned. HFCS is about 60 percent of the reason that we are a nation of fat people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    Last edited by swamprat; 03-12-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Disgusting. I'm not buying. Can't stand the place.

I am not for bigger government by any means and hate the food fascists in DC like the FDA, but I wouldn't be heartbroken to see every fast food chain shut its doors.

I think that additives and sweeteners like High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is in about everything we buy, should be banned. HFCS is about 60 percent of the reason that we are a nation of fat people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

As long as you burn more than you eat, going to places like McDonalds is ok for the most part. There still is the problem of consumption of trans fats and HFCS in the soda though.

I prefer This Place. <G>

mmmmmm.....lucky strikes....

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Here is a good one, before McDonalds was preaching diversity. There are only white actors in this commercial. And imagine what would happen today if some guy from the neighborhood rounded up all the kids in his car and took them to McDonalds, he would probably go to jail! Such simple times back then.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qMx...eature=related
    That was my childhood. No one would have thought it dangerous or weird if one of the neighborhood dads took a bunch of the neighborhood kids out for McDonald's (or whatever). That kind of thing was commonplace.

Note also - the kids just jump in the wagon. No cloying, preachy speeches about "buckling up" and saaaaaaaaafety.

The sick/sad thing is we were so much safer - from government and crime and the depredations of corporate America - in those "unsafe" pre-air bag, no child seat days of the past.

Today for lunch I had a BLT and a Double Dude Burger at The Dude's!

Best food in town...

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/R.../dudes-drivein

Hopefully going to make it to this place sometime this weekend.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/R.../louie-mueller

Mmm. Love BBQ!

One thing about McDonalds is that the portion sizes have gone up over the years.

Heck, look at the bag in both the 1967 and 2010 commercials. In 1967, that bag held the food for a family of four. In 2010, that same size bag is for one person.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Hopefully going to make it to this place sometime this weekend.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/R.../louie-mueller

Mmm. Love BBQ!

One thing about McDonalds is that the portion sizes have gone up over the years.

Heck, look at the bag in both the 1967 and 2010 commercials. In 1967, that bag held the food for a family of four. In 2010, that same size bag is for one person.

Chip H.
    A regular cheeseburger at many places compares with a Quarter Pounder (and the Quarter Pounder seems puny compared with today's "big" burgers like the Thickburger, etc.)

I think people stuff their faces because it's one of the ways depressed/stressed people self-medicate and we have more depressed/stressed people today than ever due to the fucked-up system we have to live under. Fast Food is a cheap drug....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    A regular cheeseburger at many places compares with a Quarter Pounder (and the Quarter Pounder seems puny compared with today's "big" burgers like the Thickburger, etc.)

I think people stuff their faces because it's one of the ways depressed/stressed people self-medicate and we have more depressed/stressed people today than ever due to the fucked-up system we have to live under. Fast Food is a cheap drug....
    That's absolutely right, many people when depressed just eat and eat and eat without realizing how many calories they are packing away. And with McDonalds high calorie to meal ratio it is easier most people think to gain pounds. There are 3500 calories to a pound so if you eat an extra 700 calories a day you'll gain about a pound and a half a week.

Staff
    I am pretty sure that the McDonalds meal back in 1967 was in fact safer than the ones today. The sodas had cane sugar. The buns did not have HFCS, and the milkshakes likely had real milk and real sugar as well.

HFCS was introduced on the market in the US in 1975. It didn't become commonplace until 1985. Now it is everywhere.

It was the government that approved HFCS for political reasons without testing it.

For those reasons and the reasons that Eric stated, we were a lot safer back then than today. I prefered the pre saaaaafety days as well. Today's saaaaaafety is an affectation.

"It was the government that approved HFCS for political reasons without testing it."

I doubt it's a coincidence that the flooding of the food market with HFCS coincides exactly with the massive rise in obesity, including the number of huge, super obese people.

Such were fairly rare sights when I was a kid in the '70s. Now you see one every time you go out in public....

Well, Carls Junior now has a very nice grilled cheese bacon burger....

HFCS was introduced for two reasons -

1. It's cheaper than cane sugar
    2. It gives the products a longer shelf-life

And I agree - I don't like it in my food.

Didn't make it to Taylor -- ended up on the opposite side of Austin in Spicewood Texas at a BBQ place called Opie's. Amazingly good -- the beef had the pink "ring" around the edge that shows it had been slow cooked over a fire.

Chip H.