Thread: Who really needs a cell phone, anyhow?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Who really needs a cell phone, anyhow?

As recently as the '90s most people didn't have cell phones. Doctors, and other professionals who genuinely needed to be reachable 24/7, on the go, etc., did - but the rest of managed to live without them. Civilization not only worked - it worked better than it does today. People were less rude; the pace of life was saner. There was a clear line between "work" and "not work." Your time was your time. In your car, out in your yard, in the theater.... you were free.

Today, even pre-teens have these damn things and are constantly gabbling - usually about nothing. Many spend hundreds of dollars on the phone itself, then hundreds more per month on "minutes" and the rest of it.

It's ridiculous.

And it's another brilliant success of advertising propaganda - which has convinced most people that a cell phone is a Life Essential that cannot be done without.

And yet, it can be done without. Ditto the exorbitant cost - to say nothing of the increased stress that comes with never being truly alone or out of reach of some buzzing, beeping piece of electronic equipment. To say nothing of the shitty reception and constant dropped calls - which were never an issue with corded land line phones and still aren't!

Just say no!

A simple, old-school home phone with a 9 digit keypad and a cord costs less than $10 and is both idiot proof and totally reliable. No hassle - other than the manufactured one of convincing ourselves (or being convinced by advertising) that we just have to be able to walk all around the house while we're on the phone.

Get one with an answering machine and you're out maybe another $20.

No "plan" - no "minutes." No fuss, no muss.

Civilization will continue to function. And if you feel some need to be able to make a call "in an emergency" (how often do such things actually happen?) you can buy cheap, "emergency use" portables that do the trick. No "plan" or "minutes" here, either.

All you "lose" is the ability to constantly jabber on the phone - and be hassled by people calling you at all places and times - which is not just an assault on your own peace of mind, it's an attack on civility generally.

So, join me. I assure you it's possible to live without a cell phone. And I promise you a better life, too.

Throw 'em in the woods!

Seems like ever body has them these days. Whenever I see a car or truck swirving on the road I know some accident prone stooge is using one. Eric these are good devices too. Say your witnessing a crime call 911 and take a picture. How about if your in some kind of trouble you can call for help. In case of a flat tire or breakdown,in an emergency or even to call and let whoever know your on your way. I am not against modern technology however like everything else it could be a problem if not used correctly. I just use mine for reasons mention above and rarely chat on the phone. This in my opinion is a good tool to have but unfortunately it's available to the scoundrels among us too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Seems like ever body has them these days. Whenever I see a car or truck swirving on the road I know some accident prone stooge is using one. Eric these are good devices too. Say your witnessing a crime call 911 and take a picture. How about if your in some kind of trouble you can call for help. In case of a flat tire or breakdown,in an emergency or even to call and let whoever know your on your way. I am not against modern technology however like everything else it could be a problem if not used correctly. I just use mine for reasons mention above and rarely chat on the phone. This in my opinion is a good tool to have but unfortunately it's available to the scoundrels among us too.
    Hey Adam,

Yeah, there are times when a cell can come in handy - even be a lifesaver. But how often do such conditions actually come up in real life, for most people? In the past 5 years, I've had maybe two occasions (broken down bike; twice!) where a cell phone would have been helpful. We decided, based on this "real world experience," to keep an emergency use phone (these cost next to nothing) for just those uses.

The problem (to me, as I see it) is that so many people now feel the need to be talking almost constantly on these cell phones. You can hardly even have a conversation (a real, face-to-face one) with people anymore because it'll be interrupted at least once or twice by someone calling the other party. There's pressure to "pick up" - which I find very annoying.

And of course, everywhere you go, there are people loudly yakking away in public spaces such as restaurants and movie theaters. It's coarsening, in my view.

I won't even get into the huge expense these devices get many people to buy into. $300 or $400 ... for a phone? I don't care that it takes videos. Or whatever.

It's just like cars - which have gone from affordable to massive investments that also add another layer of annoyance to life with their over-the-top electronics and inscrutable operations.

I'll pass.

I've never owned a cell phone - and hope to God I can go the rest of my life without ever owning one!

What I find the most annoying are the ridiculous ring tones that some people have on them. If I had a phone, I think I would have some ol' fat gal rip off a big one, and have that for my ring tone. Couldn't be any more obnoxious than some out there. Should help dinner go down a lot better, doncha think? Then there are those that have to talk so loud, that the person on the other end should have no trouble hearing them with out the phone. I would like to go over and help them with their loud conversation. But my wife won't let me. To embarrassing, she says. I find that using the ol' Chicken Band (CB) radio is a lot more fun. At least you don't have to have a phone number to talk to some one. Yes, they too have a limited range. But, you have a better chance to find out where the Cops are hiding out, what the road conditions are, and make a new friend along the way. I have done this from the early 60's to the present. Sure you will find bad language that you may not like. Or some one speaking in a language you don't recognize. Thats OK. If you don't like it, just switch channels, or turn it off. You can call for help, and have some one relay it to the proper people. Of course, they have there own problems, like limited range, dead spots, and no one around to hear you. But don't you have some of the same problems with a Cell Phone? I find that people that use CB Radios, don't seem to have driving problems like Cell Phone users do. At least I haven't had one. My neck still allows my head to rotate, while talking and driving at the same time.

I have a two tracfones, one for the wife and one for me.

I pay around $100 a year all together for them.

Wife puts about 10 minutes a month on her's and I put about 20 minutes a month on mine.

They are useful to us, but not abused.

Also, I use a Magic Jack for the house. Costs me $20 a year.

Total cost per year for phone connections = ~$120 (Fuck the bullshit) I like spending my money on tools, guns, home improvement, and vehicles.

The cell phone/apps/games/data plan/ and all that other shit is so ridiculous just thinking about it exhausts me. All the people crazed with it boggles my mind!

I say let the masses focus on inner space if that makes them happy, but as for me I'm over it!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

You know I work with alot of young engineers I'm talking in their 20's. These wizard punks of mechanics are constantly texting and walking around with their ipod gizmos in one hand and their tool in the other. They are in lost worlds. Riding my motorcycle I see so much of this equaling lousy driving. I am now at the point that if they kill me it's my fault for not riding the bike like they are trying. You are right Eric it's hard to argue with you. I say no to cell phones dam it! F@#$ those Text phones too and Iphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    You know I work with alot of young engineers I'm talking in their 20's. These wizard punks of mechanics are constantly texting and walking around with their ipod gizmos in one hand and their tool in the other. They are in lost worlds. Riding my motorcycle I see so much of this equaling lousy driving. I am now at the point that if they kill me it's my fault for not riding the bike like they are trying. You are right Eric it's hard to argue with you. I say no to cell phones dam it! F@#$ those Text phones too and Iphones.
    Viva la Revolucion!

Seriously - if more people would wake up and realize they don't need these things (or need them nearly as much/often) the world would be a better place.

I can still remember that long-ago pre-cell era... you know, the early '90s. When people weren't constantly yarbling on a phone, everywhere and at all times.

We got along, somehow.