Thread: Touring Tire

Touring Tire

Looking for a 135/90/16 for the rear of my bagger.

Riding style and weight = slow and heavy

Any suggestions?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Looking for a 135/90/16 for the rear of my bagger.

Riding style and weight = slow and heavy

Any suggestions?
    Bridgestone tires have always been my preferred choice so I would suggest have a look at the Bridgestone S11. Dunlop D401 are approved by Harley Davidson. Metzeler tires have a good all round reputation in the UK so you might like to look at the ME880.

All the above are available from AMT, check out www.americanmototire.com

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Hey Dom;
    I'm getting Metzeler. I hear they last longer and good for cruisers and tourers. Usually get Dunlop but got through two sets a year well at least the back one. Heck le't see how Mezler does.

Hey Adam. Thanks for the advice I am going to check out that skin.

My last tire, I need to look to be sure of the brand, but it wore out quick!

I swear I went from having plenty of tread left, to riding on the fabric in no time.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Dom.

I've always used the Dunlops as they are the recomended tire for my dresser. I usually get 12-15,000 on the rear and up to 25,000 on the front. As with ant tire, a good pressure guage is the key. On my KLR I've used the Bridgestone Trail Wing as good on and off road mix.

I swear I went from having plenty of tread left, to riding on the fabric in no time.

Yes Sir Dom;

Let's see how good they are. I'm looking online for a set. A coworker of mine who also rides a Venture swears by them. He's a hefty cat too so I figure if they last for hime they'll last for this old getting buffed guy.

A bit more info - looks like Motorcycle Superstore are doing 38% off Dunlops. Might be worth looking, Dom.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Bridgestone tires have always been my preferred choice so I would suggest have a look at the Bridgestone S11. Dunlop D401 are approved by Harley Davidson. Metzeler tires have a good all round reputation in the UK so you might like to look at the ME880.

All the above are available from AMT, check out www.americanmototire.com

Ken.
    Found this write up on the ME880.

Ken.

Tire Review: Metzeler ME 880 Marathon

by Jesse Wright
    (Round Hill, Virginia)

Near Devil's Tower, Wyoming

The tire I'm reviewing is the Metzeler ME 880 Marathon.

I got these tires in August of 2009. They were installed on a 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SEi 1200. The installation was done by Shenandoah Honda in Winchester Virginia. They also installed, at my request, tire balance beads, instead of rim weights.

I have used them mostly on a cross country trip from Virginia to S.Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and back, 5200 miles in 12 days, on secondary roads, highways, twisty mountains and even some dirt and gravel where roads were being resurfaced.

Unusual or important exceptions to my normal driving were tight (10-15 mph) mountainous switchbacks in rain, hail, and high temperatures of Wyoming flats. Up until now I have put on about 8,000 miles.

On the big trip, tire pressures were checked every morning prior to departure and once every other day around midday. Balance was never an issue or concern with the balance beads installed.

Performances was exceptional. I migrated from Avons to these tires and have never looked back.

Road noise is minimal from the front tire, a little "buzzy" from the rear on hard, deep leaning curves. Traction is excellent, and stopping is also.

The only time they slipped noticeably on me was crossing a yellow line on a turn in the rain. But I'd ascribe that to the paint, not the tire.

We descended from 14,000 feet on Mt.Evans Colorado in some rain, and hail, and my total confidence in the tires was fully justified. My feeling about using these same tires again is absolutely. If a better tire is available, it'll probably be made by Metzeler.

My recommendation to anyone else thinking about buying them is do so. This is the best tire I've ridden on. The only one I've found close is the Avon Venom. They're also a good looking tire, nice tread pattern, shed water extremely well.

The rear has held up remarkably well considering that I often had my wife on board, saddlebags full of any-weather gear and pulling a trailer with our dog in it.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post
    Dom.

I've always used the Dunlops as they are the recomended tire for my dresser. I usually get 12-15,000 on the rear and up to 25,000 on the front. As with ant tire, a good pressure guage is the key. On my KLR I've used the Bridgestone Trail Wing as good on and off road mix.
    Like Charlie, All I use on my Ultra is Dunlops. Ditto on the milage and totally agree with him on the most important key to longevity is a good tire pressure guage and using it often. As daily average temps go up through spring into summer, you will find you may have to let a little air out of your tires to maintain optimum pressure. Of coarse the opposite is true during fall into winter. The pressures will drop as the average daily temps get lower.
    My friend Carson who rides with me on the cross country road trips I take every year has gone with different tires this year. I'll report on how he likes them and what kind of milage he gets from them sometime in the future.