Thread: Dealer fails to go through with eBay auction

Dealer fails to go through with eBay auction

Dealer put a Challenger SRT8 up for auction on eBay. Winning bid: $29k
    But MSRP for the car is $40k, and dealer doesn't want to sell it at that price. Even after the winner shows up in person with paperwork and money in hand.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...s-29-1k-34598/

The dealer is apparently new to auctioning (which, I don't know how - they sell used cars at auction all the time...) and failed to put a reserve price on it.
    Doh!

Too bad it's a legally binding contract.

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    But MSRP for the car is $40k, and dealer doesn't want to sell it at that price. Even after the winner shows up in person with paperwork and money in hand.

The dealer is apparently new to auctioning (which, I don't know how - they sell used cars at auction all the time...) and failed to put a reserve price on it.
    Doh!

Chip H.
    Good for the bidder!

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post

Doh!

Chip H.
    Reminds me of the day when one of our young apprentices turned up to work in a nice shiny Jaguar. The car had been displayed, on a dealer's site, with a 'Deposit' price shown on the screen. Only thing was the 'Deposit' sticker, which should have been underneath the value shown, had been left off. Seeing the bargain of a lifetime the lad approached the junior salesman during the boss's lunchtime and offered the 'apparent' asking price and did the deal on the spot arranging to pick the car up the next day. He returned, next day, with his father to be told 'We're very sorry, there has been a mistake. Your son was quoted the wrong price' 'No mistake on my son's part.' said Dad, 'He's bought the car at an agreed price, a verbal contract was entered into and then finalised in a paper contract. We'll take it now.' - and they did.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

This reminds me of a little tiff with the State about Twenty or so Years ago. I had replaced the License Plates on my old Studebaker Pick-up. Every thing went fine, I paid the Fees, the Clerk marked the Temp "PAID IN FULL". About Three or Four weeks later, I get a phone call from the State saying that I owed them Two dollars more. They told me that the Clerk had not charged me for the License Plates. Also they would not Process my Registration until I sent them the money. I told them they best send me my paper, or they could have a problem. I used the annal-logy that if they went to a Furniture Store and bought a living room set for "X" amount of money, and when they went to pick it and were told that the Sale Person had not charged them enough for it, would they kick in the difference? She said no. My response was, "I rest my case." I got my paper work within a week.

Dealer ultimately came through and honored the deal.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...-post1276.html

Word of mouth (especially bad word of mouth) travels 2 orders of magnitude faster on the internet than in the days before it.

Chip H.