Thread: Some random thoughts...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Some random thoughts...

Whenever you can get away with it, base your actions on your judgment, not "the law."

If it seems reasonable to drive faster than the posted limit, do so (provided there's no cop in sight). Buy a radar detector. Make your car's license plate hard for a camera to read clearly.

Ignore laws that would render you defenseless against armed and violent criminals. "Gun control" disarms only those who represent no threat to others and puts them at the mercy of those who respect "gun control" laws as much as they respect laws against theft, rape and murder.

Pay as little in taxes as you can legally get away with. Taxation to fund anything other than the maintenance of civil order, enforcement of contracts, prosecution and punishment of those who defraud others, or who use (or threaten to use) force against them, is illegitimate - nothing more than stealing. "Helping" the poor, "reforming health care," "schools for our children," etc. - are all high-spunding euphemisms. The reality is the use of force against innocent people to compel them to provide a material benefit to to complete strangers to whom they owe nothing except good will. Never forget: Before government can "give," it must take.

If something seems safe or reasonable/right to you but "the law" says no - ignore "the law" to the extent you can get away with it. Ride your bicycle without a helmet (if you wish). Ingest whatever substance you wish to ingest, read, write and say what you wish - "the law" be damned.

Do not defer to "authority."

A cop is not "sir." He's an armed tax feeder. Say nothing that could harm your interests - or help his.

Do not be in awe of the government; it is merely organized force and in fact and in practice often little better than a syndicate or Mafia gang - just more organized and draped in the robes of "legitimacy" by the sleight of-hand known as "democracy." The fact that you have the vote does not mean you are free - or that the government is in any meaningful way constrained or bound to respect your freedom.

Question every single thing the government and its spokesmen tell you. They have a vested interest in deception for their benefit. Assume you are being lied to unless the facts prove otherwise.

The bottom line is always money - or power. Never forget this; make it the basis for evaluating every claim or proposal put forward by a politician.

De-fund The System.

Buy an old car (lower taxes). Earn less income. "Consume" less.

To the extent possible, passively resist government programs such as ObamaCare by refusing to participate.

Don't answer a single Census question other than the number of adults who live in the home.

Stop flying, if possible. Drive instead. Refuse to be scanned by prurient GED-equipped TSA goons.

Stop flying, if possible. Drive instead. Refuse to be scanned by prurient GED-equipped TSA goons.>>

No, continue to fly - just, fly it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    Stop flying, if possible. Drive instead. Refuse to be scanned by prurient GED-equipped TSA goons.>>

No, continue to fly - just, fly it yourself.

God, I would love to... been a dream of mine since I was a kid. But I can't afford it, so it'll remain a fantasy....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    God, I would love to... been a dream of mine since I was a kid. But I can't afford it, so it'll remain a fantasy....
    Doesn't have to be out of reach.

Lotsa decent older flying machines cheaper than a new Luxomobile, operating cost equivalent to a decent boat, get some land and build your own runway.

Or buy this one ready to go, in Tennessee.

Check this out, your very own HANGAR, RUNWAY, and look at the SHOP! You could do a lot of work on your bike, cars, truck, and airplane in there.....

Mid-Price Cessna. Some are less, some are more. You get what you pay for.

When the crunch comes, load up your shootin irons, and take off for your mountain hideaway in Montana or Idaho.
    Last edited by Mase; 03-22-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    Doesn't have to be out of reach.

Lotsa decent older flying machines cheaper than a new Luxomobile, operating cost equivalent to a decent boat, get some land and build your own runway.

Or buy this one ready to go, in Tennessee.

Check this out, your very own HANGAR, RUNWAY, and look at the SHOP! You could do a lot of work on your bike, cars, truck, and airplane in there.....

Mid-Price Cessna. Some are less, some are more. You get what you pay for.

When the crunch comes, load up your shootin irons, and take off for your mountain hideaway in Montana or Idaho.
    I could afford the VFR lessons; it's the airplane and related costs that are over my budget.

I'm really, really, really conservative with money. I never buy anything that requires a loan/financing (except the house, which is now paid-for) because I don't like debt - and given what's happening in the economy, I feel even less secure about spending money on other than essentials.

Roanoke has a nice (small) airport with what appears to be fairly active general aviation. If (if!) I had a "spare" $75k lying around that I could just throw at something fun, this would definitely be it.

If only I'd met my wife a few years earlier... her grandfather was a pilot and owned a single engine something or other. They were really close - and if I'd been in the picture, odds are we would have inherited the plane. Plus, he could have helped my with the lessons, for free....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I could afford the VFR lessons; it's the airplane and related costs that are over my budget.

I'm really, really, really conservative with money. I never buy anything that requires a loan/financing (except the house, which is now paid-for) because I don't like debt - and given what's happening in the economy, I feel even less secure about spending money on other than essentials.

Roanoke has a nice (small) airport with what appears to be fairly active general aviation. If (if!) I had a "spare" $75k lying around that I could just throw at something fun, this would definitely be it.

If only I'd met my wife a few years earlier... her grandfather was a pilot and owned a single engine something or other. They were really close - and if I'd been in the picture, odds are we would have inherited the plane. Plus, he could have helped my with the lessons, for free....
    You could buy a good, seviceable plane for half that and still have enough for engine overhaul reserves, training, and annual maintenance.